Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:06 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129654 times)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2018, 10:52:10 pm »
Hi...

I was wondering about this only a few weeks ago... Thankfully I talked to my teacher, and she introduced me to a simple approach to start analysing and comparing between the prescribed and related texts. They are called TEE tables.

With these, the rubric is broken up into four aspects: process, perspectives, contextualisation and ramifications/transformations. The aim is to try and include an example, technique and effect for a few rubric points for each of the four aspects. Note: You don't need to try and 'force in' random examples from your texts to match EVERY point, as not all of them are going to be relevant for the text. E.g. You don't need a confronting and provocative discovery for Prince Charming finding that Cinderella's foot fits the glass slipper. (Sorry, it was the first thing that popped into my head  ;D).

I've attached a sample table, so feel free to check out the layout! Hope this all makes sense!  :D

Thank you so much!! That really helps :)

Your local library is worth a look! I know Distant Lands works really nicely (one of our English lecturers Elyse praises it highly) so if you can't find something else, worth a quick trip to see ;D

I did go there, but they only had an audio copy :(

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »
Thank you for your reply but I searched for distant lands but I couldn't find it anywhere. There was only an audio book available which is pre annoying :(
Its in a book (that contains a collection of short stories by tim winton) called minimum of two.
I know how hard it is to try and find, i searched for a long time  :(
In the end, i purchased a copy of minimum of two from the google play store, so i now have an Ebook version

I know this is dumb but... even after I do chose 2 texts idk what to do after that. I don't know how to analyse it in terms of discovery. Everyone says look at the rubric but how do I use t rubric.
I agree with kauac, TEE Tables are definitely worth a look at  ;D
Try to develop some thesis' or overarching ideas regarding discovery using the rubric
Then just look for some good techniques (metaphors, alliteration, anything).
THEN (only after having found some techniques) try and find ways to link these techniques (analysis) back to your thesis'/overarching themes!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2018, 09:38:36 am »
Its in a book (that contains a collection of short stories by tim winton) called minimum of two.
I know how hard it is to try and find, i searched for a long time  :(
In the end, i purchased a copy of minimum of two from the google play store, so i now have an Ebook version
I agree with kauac, TEE Tables are definitely worth a look at  ;D
Try to develop some thesis' or overarching ideas regarding discovery using the rubric
Then just look for some good techniques (metaphors, alliteration, anything).
THEN (only after having found some techniques) try and find ways to link these techniques (analysis) back to your thesis'/overarching themes!

That makes sense, thank you!  :)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea on visuals other than the ones listed??
I'm just struggling to find good sources for it!!

Thanks...

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2018, 04:09:09 pm »
+1
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea on visuals other than the ones listed??
I'm just struggling to find good sources for it!!

Thanks...
Is there a certain visual text type you are more comfortable analysing? You can do photographs, cartoons, short films etc - short films are really good in that they have more to draw out than say, a photograph, but some people find it harder to analyse.
Let me know and I will be back to help you!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2018, 12:02:26 pm »
Just something where the discovery is almost obvious, but I wouldn't get marked down for picking an easy text... does that make sense?? I'm trying to find some kind of a picture that shows either someone or something discovery new land, or looking back on their discovery...
Not sure if that explains it more or not!!!

Thanks heaps..

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2018, 12:33:16 pm »
Just something where the discovery is almost obvious, but I wouldn't get marked down for picking an easy text... does that make sense?? I'm trying to find some kind of a picture that shows either someone or something discovery new land, or looking back on their discovery...
Not sure if that explains it more or not!!!

Thanks heaps..
Yep, sure! We'll find something that works ;). I like using Shaun Tan books - the discovery is obvious, but has so many complex layers that require analysing that it wouldn't be considered an 'easy' text in my opinion.
One of his books 'The Rabbits' is an allegory of Europeans landing and discovering Australia (rabbits representing the white Europeans), and also the journey of the numbats (representing the Aboriginal) people being slowly over run by the Europeans. It contains tons of techniques, and you could choose to do either the whole book or one page, or even a double page spread (I'd suggest doing a double page spread - you will have more time to analyse it deeper and with stronger connections)
What's your prescribed text?
Hope this helps  ;D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:41 pm »
Thanks heaps!
Ok, yes I have actually analysed that before actually....
I've just been looking at 'The Savage State' by Thomas Cole... I reckon it is actually quite good! What are your thoughts on that one??
We have to relate it to a Robert Frost poem... Once I had chosen the text i was going to pick one of his poems....
Thanks...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:10:39 pm by gilliesb18 »

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2018, 02:27:00 pm »
Thanks heaps!
Ok, yes I have actually analysed that before actually....
I've just been looking at 'The Savage State' by Thomas Cole... I reckon it is actually quite good! What are your thoughts on that one??
We have to relate it to a Robert Frost poem... Once I had chosen the text i was going to pick one of his poems....
Thanks...
It doesn't look bad actually! What kind of ideas would you pull out from it? I'm just worried that you won't have enough to sustain an essay.
But I think it can work  ;)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2018, 04:44:39 pm »
It doesn't look bad actually! What kind of ideas would you pull out from it? I'm just worried that you won't have enough to sustain an essay.
But I think it can work  ;)
Yeh well i wasn't sure if it would or not... I was thinking of how the moving cloud is kind of uncovering the scene which the traveller is entering. Off to the side there is some kind of settlement- not sure if that would be of any help... also just the variety of colours used makes the scene look kind of mystic (if that's the right word...) not sure if these points are relevant or not but lmk your thoughts!!!

Thanks!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2018, 05:20:43 pm »
+3
New related text - Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Film
Discoveries explored: Self-discovery // Physical discovery // Emotional discovery // Curiosity // Renewed perspectives on individuals and of others // Speculation of future possibilities // Unexpected nature of discovery // Wonder // Necessity // Confronting and provocative // Rediscovery of one's self

Synopsis: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) follows two main characters, Ricky Baker and Hector. Ricky Baker is a juvenile delinquent who has been abandoned by his mother and has been in and out of foster care with a welfare service officer, Paula. Hector's wife, Bella, is his new foster mother who looks to take on a seemingly impossible task of raising him up. The plot continues to thicken when Bella suddenly dies, and Hector called the welfare service officer to pick him up again. At the same time, Ricky fakes his suicide and burns down a barn where he later runs into the forest - later found by Hector.

In this event, Hector breaks an ankle after taking a fall and they are forced to camp out in the forest. Meanwhile, a national manhunt for the two people begin after authorities believe that Hec has kidnapped Ricky. The two slowly bond as they help each other through this manhunt, which is where most of the internal discoveries take place. Throughout the manhunt, we observe their own selves starting to change and they become more alike in the sense that they are both cared by the same loving person, Bella.

The film places comedy where a lot of the serious issues arise, emphasising the theme of hope and trust as the film concludes with a well rounded version of Ricky Baker - the man he never was - with the film concluding with a scene of Hector (after he is released from prison) and Ricky Baker together.

Discuss discovery in terms of:
There are many chances for you to discuss the notion of discovery.
Self-discovery is one of the main ideas you could definitely bring into light - both, Hector and Ricky transform into a better person individually and in society as a result of their bond. Hector becomes a father figure he never once was. As an illiterate and as someone who hated people, Hector's growth as a person is clear cut - he begins to see love again, encapsulating hopefulness, gratitude, and perseverance when he's around Ricky. Ricky, on the other hand, understands Hector - their bond creates a father-son moment, and this catalyses Ricky's growth. He needed a father figure in his life, and so he begins to transform and grow as a person because of Hector. Together, they are strong - they couldn't survive without the other.

Another big discovery concept that definitely comes into play is the unexpected nature that discoveries can play. We see this very clearly through the death of Bella, the foster mother of Ricky and the wife of Hector. The sudden death of Bella becomes the starting/turning point to a chain of smaller discoveries, but it's the unexpected nature of discovery that drives Hector and Ricky to explore the consequences of their smaller discoveries. They are forced to change the way they live, and through this, they change their outlook on life. The unexpected death meant that Hector had to raise Ricky up, but he fears that the "old" Hector isn't the best role model to do so. As a result of this, he calls the welfare service officers to take Ricky back to juvenile camp. However, his outlook changes through the recurring discoveries that he encounters later on. One big change in someone's lifestyle, as a result, can bring a whole new perspective on themselves and of the world.

Works well with:
I believe that it is definitely a good related text for the Motorcycle Diaries. There are values of adventure that both texts explore, the changed positioning of the protagonist's outlook is definitely a key facet in both texts, and the metaphysical discoveries that are explored are encompassed in both texts.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2018, 06:31:02 pm »
+2

Added to the OP! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2018, 01:40:16 pm »
+1
Discoveries explored: Self-discovery // Physical discovery // Emotional discovery // Curiosity // Renewed perspectives on individuals and of others // Speculation of future possibilities // Unexpected nature of discovery // Wonder // Necessity // Confronting and provocative // Rediscovery of one's self

Synopsis: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) follows two main characters, Ricky Baker and Hector. Ricky Baker is a juvenile delinquent who has been abandoned by his mother and has been in and out of foster care with a welfare service officer, Paula. Hector's wife, Bella, is his new foster mother who looks to take on a seemingly impossible task of raising him up. The plot continues to thicken when Bella suddenly dies, and Hector called the welfare service officer to pick him up again. At the same time, Ricky fakes his suicide and burns down a barn where he later runs into the forest - later found by Hector.

In this event, Hector breaks an ankle after taking a fall and they are forced to camp out in the forest. Meanwhile, a national manhunt for the two people begin after authorities believe that Hec has kidnapped Ricky. The two slowly bond as they help each other through this manhunt, which is where most of the internal discoveries take place. Throughout the manhunt, we observe their own selves starting to change and they become more alike in the sense that they are both cared by the same loving person, Bella.

The film places comedy where a lot of the serious issues arise, emphasising the theme of hope and trust as the film concludes with a well rounded version of Ricky Baker - the man he never was - with the film concluding with a scene of Hector (after he is released from prison) and Ricky Baker together.

Discuss discovery in terms of:
There are many chances for you to discuss the notion of discovery.
Self-discovery is one of the main ideas you could definitely bring into light - both, Hector and Ricky transform into a better person individually and in society as a result of their bond. Hector becomes a father figure he never once was. As an illiterate and as someone who hated people, Hector's growth as a person is clear cut - he begins to see love again, encapsulating hopefulness, gratitude, and perseverance when he's around Ricky. Ricky, on the other hand, understands Hector - their bond creates a father-son moment, and this catalyses Ricky's growth. He needed a father figure in his life, and so he begins to transform and grow as a person because of Hector. Together, they are strong - they couldn't survive without the other.

Another big discovery concept that definitely comes into play is the unexpected nature that discoveries can play. We see this very clearly through the death of Bella, the foster mother of Ricky and the wife of Hector. The sudden death of Bella becomes the starting/turning point to a chain of smaller discoveries, but it's the unexpected nature of discovery that drives Hector and Ricky to explore the consequences of their smaller discoveries. They are forced to change the way they live, and through this, they change their outlook on life. The unexpected death meant that Hector had to raise Ricky up, but he fears that the "old" Hector isn't the best role model to do so. As a result of this, he calls the welfare service officers to take Ricky back to juvenile camp. However, his outlook changes through the recurring discoveries that he encounters later on. One big change in someone's lifestyle, as a result, can bring a whole new perspective on themselves and of the world.

Works well with:
I believe that it is definitely a good related text for the Motorcycle Diaries. There are values of adventure that both texts explore, the changed positioning of the protagonist's outlook is definitely a key facet in both texts, and the metaphysical discoveries that are explored are encompassed in both texts.

Thanks for your suggestion and thorough break down opengangs! You're a legend!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Vince44

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2022, 08:18:32 pm »