Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:21 pm

Author Topic: Aspire dentistry @ LaTrobe  (Read 8139 times)  Share 

Justanotherhuman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Aspire dentistry @ LaTrobe
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:21:45 am »
Hello friends,
I'm an aspiring aspire candidate 8)
Had a few questions:
1) Is their any threshold for the amount of volunteer work you must do? I personally have volunteered for this organisation called "Refugee for hope" as an english tutor where people from migrant backgrounds come in to learn english -- volunteering for 3 hours weekly and an additional 2 every fortnight for around 6 months by august. Does that sound enough? Also, do I need some sort of certificate or a simple reference to the organisation is enough?
2) I noticed that it's a conditional offer of a 97 ATAR but the atar distribution of last years intake said the lowest was higher than 98 (not sure if I read the report wrong lol). But as a part of their procedure to give the offer, do they somehow predict your atar (since they don't want to be giving out offers to people who won't meet them.
3) How high is the competition for aspire?
Thankyou ;)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Aspire dentistry @ LaTrobe
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:26:48 pm »
+3
Sorry, this is super late, but hopefully it is still somewhat helpful. I went to LaTrobe today and spoke to someone about Aspire and listened to a presentation about it where a lot of these questions came up.

From what I was told, there is no threshold for the amount of work you do, as long as you had an impact on someone in your community. In your statements, you should focus on the way you assisted others and how you made them feel. As long it is evident you made an impact, the hours do not matter. I volunteer three hours a month with a certain charity, as well as two hours a week with another and have for a year and a half, and they told me it was certainly enough.

You are only eligible for the early offer you receive on the condition you achieve the minimum ATAR. If you do not, you are unable to accept your offer and will not be given a place.

From what they said, almost everyone who applies receives a conditional offer (although not all who receive an offer go on to achieve the ATAR). Those who do not receive an offer usually did not write an eloquent enough piece or explain the impact of their work well enough.

geek123456

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:52 pm »
Hi
How many preferences do you have to nominate to be eligible for aspire
Also do these preferences need to be your first three etc?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:59:23 pm by geek123456 »

Dhruv123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:41:12 pm »
Hi i was just confused, what does a conditional offer mean?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:21:40 am »
+1
Hi i was just confused, what does a conditional offer mean?
Conditional offer means that you’ll get a guaranteed spot in that course early but must then also fulfil other criteria, such as achieve a certain ATAR.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread