Uni Stuff > Arts

Bachelor of International Studies confusion.

(1/2) > >>

Donutseatnut:
Hi everyone! :)

I finish Year 12 last year not so sure as what I wanted to do. As I progressed through school I developed an interest in both Theology and working abroad. My career dream as such is that of peacemaking in terms of religious tensions, maybe working with a multilateral organisation such as the U.N. etc.
During the application period last year I applied for a Bachelor of Arts (Global) at Monash and was accepted. But I didn't think it was entirely for me and eventually applied for a discontinuation of my course.

Now I'm at the application process again, and I'm sort of stuck. I've seen some very cool courses and am especially interested in the Bachelor of International Studies at Deakin as it seems right up my alley, but again I'm not so sure if it'll help with employment etc. (All those silly worries).

I was wondering if anyone have any feedback about that course, or maybe about a different course entirely? As I'm just really quite unsure.

Thank you!  :)

EvangelionZeta:
Apply to the ANU - it is far and away the best international relations degree you can get in Australia (and probably the Southern Hemisphere, for that matter).

http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/program/BIR

If you're dead set on working for the UN though, best to either have an incredibly impressive resume, or combine your degree with something else (probably Law or Economics).  If peacemaking is your thing also consider Security Studies (which is also incredibly well taught at the ANU).

BucketPreacher:

--- Quote from: EvangelionZeta on August 31, 2014, 02:54:14 pm ---Apply to the ANU - it is far and away the best international relations degree you can get in Australia (and probably the Southern Hemisphere, for that matter).

http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/program/BIR

If you're dead set on working for the UN though, best to either have an incredibly impressive resume, or combine your degree with something else (probably Law or Economics).  If peacemaking is your thing also consider Security Studies (which is also incredibly well taught at the ANU).

--- End quote ---

Shit. I want to do International Studies, and I want to go to ANU as well but I don't want to move away from Melbourne to Canberra. If by some slight chance I get the 89 ATAR requirement, there is zero chance I could really do anything other than Arts with it (Although I want to do law but won't have the ATAR by tenfold).

EvangelionZeta:
^if you ever want to work in anything IR-based, you'll have to get used to moving around a lot.  If there's a good reason for why you can't move in the short term though, then I understand - I would personally recommend you just do a regular BA tbh.  What turned you off the Monash Global Arts course?

BucketPreacher:

--- Quote from: EvangelionZeta on August 31, 2014, 06:55:40 pm ---^if you ever want to work in anything IR-based, you'll have to get used to moving around a lot.  If there's a good reason for why you can't move in the short term though, then I understand - I would personally recommend you just do a regular BA tbh.  What turned you off the Monash Global Arts course?

--- End quote ---
Yeah well I'm only 18 still living with my parents. Living by myself, let alone in another state would be something I would jump on in a heartbeat but I don't think I could live with myself moving away from my dog; it's sort of just mine, and if I could bring her up to Canberra and live in one of the accommodation things that would be basically a dream come true as living in a college seems amazing ... but uhh. Weight of pros and cons.

I'm pretty sure Global arts is only in Malaysia or something if my memory serves me correctly? I have Monash Arts at both campuses on my VTAC preferences as well, as I would be choosing International Relations or studies or whatever. I just have wanted to go to ANU since I found out about it but ARGHHH!! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version