Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:15:48 am

Author Topic: Quick Little Guide for Extended Investigation  (Read 6331 times)  Share 

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Quick Little Guide for Extended Investigation
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:20:37 pm »
+8
Hello!

This is going to be my Extended Investigation 'guide'. To be honest, I don't think many people will benefit from this because such few people do this subject. Some schools don't actually run it. But at least those who do will be able to benefit.

What is the subject?
Simply put, it is about critical thinking and writing up a thesis, which is, in nature, similar to something you might get at an honours level in university. However, it is nowhere near the difficulty and rigour required at that level.

How am I assessed?

Exernal Assessment:

Critical thinking test: An online test where you have to answer in a critical way. Questions often ask how strong an argument is, and to support a particular viewpoint, or to refute it.

Final thesis: About 4000 words with a bibliography, literature review, introduction, method, discussion, results and abstract- basically like a scientific report.

SACs:
Not too sure about this, because schools might change things a little bit.
But there's orals, research plans, justifications and you also have to do a oral for the final thing.

Why should I pick this subject?
Because you enjoy thinking in a unique way
Have a spare subject slot
Are interested in one subject in particular
DONT WANT ANOTHER EXAM AT THE END OF THE YEAR (This subject has no exam)
You are interested in purusing research in the future, and would like to get a little taste first

Advice for throughout the year:

Summer holidays (Before you start):
Consider what you want to do. What wider area will your topic be about? Australian politics? Sports? School related stuff? Just having a pretty vague idea, even thinking about your topic, is going to be a huge advantage for you. Don't expect for your topic to stay the same throuhout the year. In fact, you will probably find your topic changing quite often. If this is you, don't be concerned; it's going to happen, and it's good, because you can develop a better, more focused  topic. However, if you change your topic from researching the effects of chocolate on students to investigating what would have happened if Hillary Clinton became President, you have reason to be confirmed. But of course, I'd be pretty concerned if I picked those research questions.  :P

Term 1:
There will be 1 SAC this term, depending on your school and you should also have your research question starting to form after the first 6 weeks.
You want to be planning this term; how you are going to collect the data you need and where most of your sources will be coming from. Remember, news articles from 'good' sources count!
Make sure to keep on top of things and try to get a little bit ahead of where you are meant to be, as this becomes harder when you get other SACs coming up! And remember, if you think that your plan, however detailed, is something you'll actually maintain, know that some things will take longer than planned for some reason (i.e laptop gets submerged in water unlikely, couldn't find relevant articles, etc. 

I am a bit tired now, so if you have questions, leave them below, and I'll include them here. I'll finish this later though! Good luck everyone!

PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)