Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:45:08 am

Author Topic: extended investigation textbook?  (Read 4357 times)  Share 

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
extended investigation textbook?
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:50:34 pm »
Hey everyone,
Since there is no official textbook for EI, are there any resources or books useful for EI?

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
Re: extended investigation textbook?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:14:01 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,
Since there is no official textbook for EI, are there any resources or books useful for EI?

I'm currently doing ei 3/4 and literally have only a week till my report submission is due, so I'll use that to specify my qualifications.

Tl;dr: basically there's not any significant resources as there is no need to have resources. Read past students' reports/ academic articles to find your question and build report writing skills. For critical thinking, there's sort of a guide from VCAA you can find at https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/extendedinvestigation/2019ThinkingCritically.docx but I barely used it.

When I picked ei I was very nervous about what the subject entails and how I would cope with it, but the reason why there isn't a textbook is because you're not studying anything specific. Day 1 that you go in, depending on your school, you'll be brainstorming question ideas. Your work could be anything ranging from a case study to a survey to an experiment to even a literature review. Since the work is so diverse, the resources you use will depend on the area you're studying. Keep an eye on how different authors structure work, and use that as inspo.

EI is a very self directed and flexible subject, so there's no rules set in stone, other than the fact that you need to use Standard AusE.

If you're intending to prep for EI before the year begins, the best you can do is to read widely to find a research gap in something you're interested in. Make sure it's intricate enough to be original and interesting, but simple enough to be done in an 8 month period. Google scholar works wonders, or State Library Victoria. Search a keyword for something of interest and begin reading. As you peruse these papers, evaluate the arguments that are made. Try looking into perspectives on the same area by different authors and see which themes overlap. What are the contradictions? Are the articles biased? If you can build a paragraph out of that, congratulations, you've synthesised and evaluated some arguments. Those are the kinds of skills needed for ei.

In terms of critical thinking, we went over different logical fallacies and the different parts of an argument that make it convincing and strong. These can be found on the internet with a simple google search  - but basically, if you can write a TEEL paragraph you can answer 60% of the critical thinking test. The rest of it comes down to breaking down an argument and seeing what rebuttal matches it well.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:45:04 pm by peerbagh »
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)