Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:04:45 am

Author Topic: Fast tracking Lit through distance Ed… pls reply  (Read 2001 times)  Share 

eb_vce

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Fast tracking Lit through distance Ed… pls reply
« on: December 17, 2021, 08:24:58 pm »
+1
Hello!
I just joined ATAR Notes so hopefully I’m doing this right.
I’m feeling pretty anxious about starting Literature and would like some advice. As I said in the subject, I’ve just finished year 9 and I’ve enrolled to begin Lit 1&2 next year. My teachers and parents are confident that I’m up to the challenge, but I often have to remind myself that I’m capable even though I’ve gotten all 95%+ in year 9 English.
I received my first email from my teacher today and they gave us a resource about Reading Journals.
So I was wondering how I could structure it (instruction was pretty loose) and how in-depth it should be.
Any other advice relating to Lit and/or distance ed and fast tracking would also be much appreciated.
Sorry for the long winded message 😂

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Re: Fast tracking Lit through distance Ed… pls reply
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 02:16:45 pm »
+1
Hello!
I just joined ATAR Notes so hopefully I’m doing this right.
I’m feeling pretty anxious about starting Literature and would like some advice. As I said in the subject, I’ve just finished year 9 and I’ve enrolled to begin Lit 1&2 next year. My teachers and parents are confident that I’m up to the challenge, but I often have to remind myself that I’m capable even though I’ve gotten all 95%+ in year 9 English.
I received my first email from my teacher today and they gave us a resource about Reading Journals.
So I was wondering how I could structure it (instruction was pretty loose) and how in-depth it should be.
Any other advice relating to Lit and/or distance ed and fast tracking would also be much appreciated.
Sorry for the long winded message 😂

Hey Eb!

I'm guessing that you're doing Lit through VSV, I completed Lit 1/2 this year via VSV so I have some experience with it. I posted on my VCE journal about my thoughts on the subject if you want to read a more indepth commentary on it but the biggest thing about doing any subject by distance is that the communication between you and your teacher is way way less than at a physical school. A lot of times I had to wait a week for a response (keep in mind that work must be submitted weekly) and there is very little opportunity to have essay drafts reviewed or corrected. So a lot of the time you have to be really self motivated and efficient in order to keep moving on through the subject.

Another big thing is that Lit is a lot different from normal English and that's the biggest hurdle to overcome. You can't write and structure your essays in the same way and have to learn to completely dissect a text to pieces to see how the author has constructed the characters and themes. Personally I didn't complete the reading journal very often as I found it really tedious and it wasn't beneficial for me but basically summarise what you have read (thoughts, feelings, basic summary of the text) and be on the look out for literary techniques and quotes.

Good luck for next year!

Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics