Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 09:51:25 pm

Author Topic: Timetable  (Read 59245 times)  Share 

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Timetable
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »
+2
Hey there,
So as we know the rego opens up 4th of feb... problem for me is that I'm heading overseas on the 3rd and wont  have access to a computer with internet till like probably.. 4 or 5pm melbourne time on the 4th.
I need to plan out my timetable now, and get my bro to do from here.

My course is bachelor of science,
my first year subjects are:

biol 1, biol 2
chem 1, chem 2
calc 2, lin alg
semantics, Body, Mind and Medicine: A Dissection

the subject on the left is semester 1, on the right is semester 2.

I need to ask some questions...

1. When we get to make the timetable, is it just for semester 1, or for the whole year.
2. Whats the go with, how many subs you can do in 1 day, and also, say if i go to a biol lecture, do I need to go to a lab sesh in the same day?
3.  -had a mental blank, will post more below.
 i can read the handbook and find the min req's for contact hours, so i should be good there,
but if anyone has done similar subjects in the past, itd be helpful if you could upload a pic of your timetable from 1st year!

2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
Re: Timetable
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »
oh and are uni timetables like school timetables, a week 1 and a week 2?
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:28:56 pm »
+1
1. The timetable you will make on feb 4th is for the first semester, there is another date for timetabling semester 2

2. As many subjects you want. There are no options for scheduling lectures from one day to another, they only have different times they can be given on the one day. No your bio lecture doesn't have to be the same time as your biol prac, e.g. the repeat bio lecture may clash with a biol prac.

You can get a link on the handbook for the hours and days that lectures/ tutes/ pracs will be held, so i suggest creating a mock timetable to give to your brother

e.g. https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2013/CHEM10004 go to "view timetable" from the box of commencement date & location

Uni timetables are the same for each week (the only exception is pracs, you will allocate a time on the timetable for when you want a prac as if it were something you go to each week but it's actually every 2nd usually)
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
1) For only one semester
2) You decide how many classes you want in one day,  but you can only select from the available time slots. So you could have a 1 hour day or a 9am to 4pm day back to back classes... lol not sure about the lab, but i wouldn't think so. I think you normally do the stuff you learnt in the previous week, but I've never had a science lab class before.
3) Only 1 week.

ferrsal

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »
Would it not be a waste of time planning your timetable in advance according to last years times'? As in, do they change year to year?
2013-2015: BBiomed @ UoM

gummo

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:47 pm »
What are tutorials?????? I heard that they cover the previous week's material. So then should they go before Lecture 1 and Lecture 2 in a regular week? So like tutes on Monday and lectures Tuesday onwards?

I'm doing:
  • Intro Micro
  • Quantitative Methods 1
  • Finance 1
  • Chinese (don't know which one)

Any tips? Thanks, guys!
2012: English [49] Economics [43] French [38] Methods [37] Business Management [39]
ATAR: 98.40
2013: BComm @ UoM

vcestudent94

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:47 pm »
How fast do class slots usually start filling up? Is it like on the first day or is there a chance a couple days after?

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
+1
Would it not be a waste of time planning your timetable in advance according to last years times'? As in, do they change year to year?

The 2013 timetable is already posted here: https://sws.unimelb.edu.au/2013/default.aspx so you can use that to plan everything.

What are tutorials?????? I heard that they cover the previous week's material. So then should they go before Lecture 1 and Lecture 2 in a regular week? So like tutes on Monday and lectures Tuesday onwards?

Tutorials are small classes where you go over things you learnt in lectures/extra material (rarely).  It doesn't matter whether they are before or after the lecture, just put them wherever is convenient for you.  You won't have tutorials in the first week anyway, usually.

How fast do class slots usually start filling up? Is it like on the first day or is there a chance a couple days after?

They will literally be full for first year about two hours after it opens.  There is a second release if you are waiting on an irregular offer, much later in February (sometime around the 20th?).  So like, one batch of places gets released now (say 15 of 20 per class) and then later on for those that weren't enrolled in the subject at the time the remaining 5 places are released.  If you don't get the time you want the first time then you can switch around when more spaces open up later on.  Not all classes will have both releases but for first year Science and I think Commerce it's p much guaranteed.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:34:59 pm »
+1

Any tips? Thanks, guys!

I found my tutes covered the material they presented during that week, for that reason I scheduled them for the end of the week

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »
ok thanks for the replies.

@el2012:
Quote from: El2012 link=topic=143020.msg632952#msg632952 date=1359286136
Uni timetables are the same for each week ([b
the only exception is pracs, you will allocate a time on the timetable for when you want a prac as if it were something you go to each week but it's actually every 2nd usually)[/b]
ahhhhhhhh right,
cause thats why i got confused.

for biol , the contact hours are as such:
Contact Hours: 3 x one hour lectures per week, 18 hours of workshops(1 hour of theory workshop and 2 hours of practical workshop per fortnight), 6 hours of additional problem solving classes (1 hour per fortnight), 24 hours of pre-and post laboratory activities (2 hours per week), 24 hours of e-learning, online activities including independent learning tasks (2 hours per week).
Total Time Commitment:

in the actual timetable, a lab sesh goes for 3 hours, so im guessing that 1 hr is the theory, and 2 hr is the prac workshop, as written in the handbook -  hence the 3hrs.
i thought in a fortnight ill be doing 2 hours of theory workshop, and 4 hrs of practical workshop, haha, which'd be too much.
so thats goood :)

ill post up a mock timetable i made in a while so someone can see if its right :p

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 11:46:48 pm »

in the actual timetable, a lab sesh goes for 3 hours, so im guessing that 1 hr is the theory, and 2 hr is the prac workshop, as written in the handbook -  hence the 3hrs.

Yep, that's right! :)

ill post up a mock timetable i made in a while so someone can see if its right :p

Sure thing!

gummo

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:03:17 am »
+1
Thanks so much for your help, mavisgibbons + El2012!
2012: English [49] Economics [43] French [38] Methods [37] Business Management [39]
ATAR: 98.40
2013: BComm @ UoM

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:27:41 am »
for chem,
where does " 6 hours of computer aided learning during semester, 8 hours of independent learning tasks during semester." fit in?
and for biol,
where does:
"6 hours of additional problem solving classes (1 hour per fortnight), 24 hours of pre-and post laboratory activities (2 hours per week), 24 hours of e-learning, online activities including independent learning tasks (2 hours per week)", fit in?

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29:37 am »
heres a mock up i just made,
look okay?

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:40 am »
+1
That's not too bad. I prefer mine to have less but longer breaks. So I try to have like 2-3 hours classes then 2-3 hours lunch break then 1-2 hours afternoon. It's harder for science though your contact hours are crazy and the timetabling is rigid which sucks. At least you have time to get something to eat, kick back and chill or do some reading or something.