Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 18, 2024, 05:21:37 am

Author Topic: Harsh markers  (Read 3297 times)  Share 

• Forum Regular
  • ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
  • Respect: +12
Harsh markers
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:16:18 pm »
my chem teacher is a pretty harsh marker and I'm wondering if that's a good thing in the long run. Does hard SACs + harsh marker = chemistry greatness? If anyone has experience with a harsh marker please let me know how it worked out for your ss :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:31:12 pm by 2352300 »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Harsh markers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:17 pm »
+2
But of a mixed bag, really. Good news is, it teaches you to be fussy. Bad news is, if they're "easy" SACs your mark could be scaled down, but it depends on two things: how your exam goes and what rank you are.

If you're rank 1 and ace your exam, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Forum Regular
  • ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
I reckon the SACs are a lot harder than last year's (used them as prac SACs and was in for a treat in the actual SAC ::) ).My school switched out the old chem teacher from last year because the results weren't stellar (subject dux was 33 raw rip). I'm glad the new teacher raised the standard and is even overcompensating with the SACs now being VCAA level/a bit harder. Just gonna have to go harder for unit 4 and the exam  8) thanks for the reply !!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:09 am »
my chem teacher is a pretty harsh marker and I'm wondering if that's a good thing in the long run. Does hard SACs + harsh marker = chemistry greatness? If anyone has experience with a harsh marker please let me know how it worked out for your ss :D
There really is 0 correlation between how harsh your chem teacher marks and your SS. Generally the teacher is advised to mark easy/harsh enough so the class average is not too high or too low. Also making sure the best students are separated from the good students.

hard sacs (within the scope of the SD) is definitely better for separation at the top end. Having easy sacs would mean that ranking would really be due to teacher bias or just luck.

In my own experience I had quite hard sacs in year 11 for 3/4 biology. I ended up with averages around the mid 80's however I was rank 1. (rank 2-4 was around high 70's).
However we all did relatively well on the exam so my sacs probably scaled to high 90's-100 to end up with a good SS. I think around 30% of my cohort got a score of 39+ which is ridiculous for my school which is ranked around 350+ RIP. So end game sense it doesn't really matter.

tanyaboer

• Adventurer
  • www.highschoolhints.com
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
I haven't had much experience with very harsh markers, but from how I see it I'd much prefer having a harsh marker than an easy marker. In year 12 I had a Biology teacher that gave marks out like it was Christmas. The class average was about 75% for nearly all our tests. Needless to say, we weren't prepared for the final exam and got scaled down heaps.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a harsh marker! See it as an advantage over all the students who didn't have one :)

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:49:04 pm »
I think that harsh markers prepare you better for the exam, but may lower your SAC marks if some teachers are harsh and others aren't. Anyway, you can't really change your teachers now and you should just make the most of what you have and just try your best. :)