Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:44:47 pm

Author Topic: Time allocations for your subjects  (Read 1283 times)  Share 

TwinNerd

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Time allocations for your subjects
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »
Hey,

I was just wondering how much time do you guys spend on each subject after school (so in terms of completing homework, preparing for SACs and class projects). Also just to add, my school is in the city hence I take public transport to and from school which means that I arrive home at 5pm and wake up at 6am.

Thanks in advance
2015: Biology: 40 | Accounting: 38
2016: | Further Maths: 47 | Chemistry: 38 | Mathematical Methods CAS: 37 | English Language: 47 |
ATAR : 98.15
Bachelor of Commerce 2017-2020 /

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard."

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Time allocations for your subjects
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:47:30 pm »
+3
By your sig I am presuming you're in Year 11, and doing Biology 3/4 and Accounting 3/4?

Usually, in Year 11 I'd suggest that you dedicate a large proportion of your study towards your Unit 3/4 subjects. However, in saying that I don't encourage you to ignore your other units, especially Methods and English, you really want to nail the basics so that Year 12 does not become more difficult than it needs to be.
If you arrive home by 5pm I'd suggest that relax for a bit and grab a bite. Between that and dinner get your books out and sorted while lightly brushing over what you need to do for the evening.
I was in the same situation as you two Years ago (WOW so long ago), except I went to school in the country. Say if you start studying at 6:30, I'd split it into one hour blocks and at the end of that block give yourself a 10 minute break. So I'd say 3-4 hours of study a night is more than enough and is realistic.
I originally had a study schedule, but it's difficult to follow due to the reason you may get spontaneous assignments which need to be done first. For that exact reason I kept my schedule on a day-to-day basis, but make sure you're dedicated around 6-8 hours per subject per week, or whatever workouts for you.
The rules I followed from February-July:
-SAC study comes first
-Homework next
-Revision, e.g. checkpoint questions and sample exam questions.

Hope that helped :)

2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

nerdmmb

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:03:23 pm »
+2
Hi,
This year I am completing two 3/4 subjects and four 1/2 subjects. I have heard from friends, that many people spend most of their time focusing on their two 3/4s and their results in their 1/2 subjects fall. So  I was just wondering how much time should I spend on each subject (taking in to consideration that I have two 3/4 subjects)

Thanks in advance:)

I strongly believe in having a balanced approach- that is to treat all your subjects equally but when it comes to SACs and if the content of your 3&4s seem difficult then you could prioritise your 3&4s.

Some people I know completely discarded thier 1&2 subjects which in my opinion is not a good idea because it's necessary for you to have a good foundation in all of your subjects.
In regards to the time you should be spending on your subjects, it's completely upto you and your strengths and weaknesses. As I mentioned, if you are struggling with a certain subject, then try to focus on that subject a tad bit more.
Hope this isn't too vague but that's how I wish I had went about in year 11.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:06:44 pm by nerdmmb »

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:56:56 pm »
Don't take this advice to the extreme either. I did Bio early, and to be honest I put too much effort into my 1/2s during the first semester. I hardly put any effort into Bio during Unit 3 (talking < 1 hour hw/week), which really brought down my SS. Granted, I managed to achieve a decent score, but it would have been alot higher if I put more effort into it.

Sui7s

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:27:28 am »
Screw time, set small objectives to complete everyday

TwinNerd

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »
thanks so much for your responses :)
2015: Biology: 40 | Accounting: 38
2016: | Further Maths: 47 | Chemistry: 38 | Mathematical Methods CAS: 37 | English Language: 47 |
ATAR : 98.15
Bachelor of Commerce 2017-2020 /

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard."