Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:18:02 am

Author Topic: Student finances  (Read 891 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

Student finances
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:38:57 pm »
Hey I already posted this on a different website but I realised this would probably be the best place to ask  :D

Next year I'm hoping to do undergrad med (UTAS, UNSW, Newcastle, Monash, Adelaide, WSU etc)
I'm also hoping to work in aged care this summer

For both of these I think I'll need a first aid certificate - is it likely any of these unis or workplaces would cover the cost of the 1st aid course?

Also, I'll be moving out of home from a rural area (with little/no financial support from parents), so should I be applying for Centrelink/youth allowance/rural student allowance etc?

Nobody's really given me any information financially so I'm also a bit confused about TFN's (I've never worked before) and stuff like that

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Student finances
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:39:46 pm »
+5
I believe some undergrad med schools require a first aid certificate and should be able to cover the cost, particularly if you are from a rural background.

Since you’re moving out of home, you should be entitled to the living away from home allowance from Centrelink.

You’ll definitely need to sort out a TFN before you enroll in your uni course as you cannot receive HECS help without one. You can look on the ATO website for options on how to apply for one.
UAdel MBBS

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:49:37 pm »
+6
Also, I'll be moving out of home from a rural area (with little/no financial support from parents), so should I be applying for Centrelink/youth allowance/rural student allowance etc?
Yup. Centrelink definitely covers this base. You can do so at 16+ years old, which I'd imagine you'd be right now. See here for eligibility conditions. 

Nobody's really given me any information financially so I'm also a bit confused about TFN's (I've never worked before) and stuff like that
The lowdown is that a Tax File Number (TFN) is just a requirement to show that you're able to pay/ receive taxes and get superannuation. The people who will provide you with a TFN and know all about it is the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The main website on TFNs can be found here, including the instructions as to how to apply. You'll need it if you want to put your university fees on your HECS and you'll need it to get a job. It should be around 9 digits and sent to your mailbox within 6 (business) weeks after completing the application from memory.

Note: Beaten by Quantum44. Leaving this here anyway.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:03:44 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:49:43 pm »
Thanks guys - very much appreciated! :)