Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:11:11 pm

Author Topic: HELP! How do I improve my understanding?  (Read 856 times)

noelidfwu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HELP! How do I improve my understanding?
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:22:37 am »
Hello
I just needed some advice on what to do:
I currently doing two science Chem and Phys- whilst I somehwat enjoy both of them I think I do like chem better simply because I actually UNDERSTAND the concepts? - hence why im better at it as well. I hardly ever memorise content for chem simply because i just 'know' the content.
It's the opposite for physics, i just cant seem to get my head around and actually get myself to understand the concepts and so I just end up memorising content (which is really bad because physics questions tend to test indirect (?) question that test more of your extensive knowledge rather than ur ability to memorise.)
How do I improve my understanding of the concepts and get my head around what actually goes on? and get myself to just 'know' the content?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HELP! How do I improve my understanding?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:41 pm »
Hello
I just needed some advice on what to do:
I currently doing two science Chem and Phys- whilst I somehwat enjoy both of them I think I do like chem better simply because I actually UNDERSTAND the concepts? - hence why im better at it as well. I hardly ever memorise content for chem simply because i just 'know' the content.
It's the opposite for physics, i just cant seem to get my head around and actually get myself to understand the concepts and so I just end up memorising content (which is really bad because physics questions tend to test indirect (?) question that test more of your extensive knowledge rather than ur ability to memorise.)
How do I improve my understanding of the concepts and get my head around what actually goes on? and get myself to just 'know' the content?

Hey! I feel you - I used to have a really tough time with concepts in Physics. Black body radiation stuff specifically I remember totally stumped me for the longest time.

What I did was grab a mate who did get it, and be like, "Yo, shout you a choccy milk from the canteen, just take 10 minutes and explain this to me." And they would explain it, usually totally differently to the teacher. I find that is what you need - Just it explained in the right way.

Sometimes I'd get it from there. If not, I'd find another mate who got it, offer them another choccy milk and get them to do it.

Some amount of friends and choccy milks later, you will get it. It just takes time and the right phrasing - Patience is key, it's totally normal to struggle with this stuff ;D

You can also ask us to explain stuff in our Physics Q+A, no flavoured milk necessary!! ;D

YouTube videos are another thing I used a lot too!