Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:17:41 am

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131515 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:15 am »
+1
How many paragraphs should we aim for in the 'What is History' section?  :)
Hmmm thats a very subjective question! I didn't really aim for a certain amount of paragraphs, but my essays were typically around 2-3. But when I say 2-3 paragraphs, I really mean 2-3 major points, with indented paragraphs throughout :) Hope this helps!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 02:08:31 pm »
How do i format my part b notes? Im doing Napoleon. I usually dont use notes, but, i feel like a good tabled format would be effective in helping me remember the historian's debates. Does anyone have a table template i could use perhaps?  :o
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2017, 07:11:31 pm »
+1
How do i format my part b notes? Im doing Napoleon. I usually dont use notes, but, i feel like a good tabled format would be effective in helping me remember the historian's debates. Does anyone have a table template i could use perhaps?  :o
Hey! I used a table format last year to structure my part b notes :) Though I think that in the long run, the most effective form of study for history extension is past papers, tables are still awesome!

The way that I structured my notes was having a column for the key historians (each historian gets their own row), next a column for their perspective (the column further broken into rows to reflect the different perspectives of the debates), then a column for context and purpose, then one for methodology and then one for quotes :)

I then had another table that went through the key themes and issues related to the historiography of my case study (Western Imperialism), and how that impacted various historians, whether or not they validate the argument or disagree with it - eg. A row for 'Orientalism' as a concept, and how this concept is shown through the writings of Niall Ferguson, Simon Schama, David Cannadine etc. etc. :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2017, 10:11:54 pm »
Can i show you the table format that i made? AND, lol, are you still able to mark my major essay/annotated bib cos my class got an extension  8) by monday, 3pm.
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:40 pm »
+1
Can i show you the table format that i made? AND, lol, are you still able to mark my major essay/annotated bib cos my class got an extension  8) by monday, 3pm.
Sure thing! Maybe attach a screenshot? And yes haha, feel free to post it in the marking thread and I'll have a look :)

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:03 am »
How many paragraphs do we right for extension? Because my teacher said eight.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2017, 10:39:57 am »
How many paragraphs do we right for extension? Because my teacher said eight.
There isn't a set amount! For my major work I had 2 paragraphs (so two main ideas, with sub-ideas indented). For my in class essays I ranged from 2-3 paragraphs :)

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
+1
For the 'What is history' component, I feel so nervous about studying for it. I have most of my historians on tabled format already but i feel like im kinda putting it off. I know i basically asked the same question for modern, but does anyone have a bunch of past papers that i could use to build up my knowledge and remember my key arguments. Also, does anyone have good tips on how i should be approaching writing these essays because clearly they are different from the Modern/Ancient Essays. Tbh, i really just want to feel more confident when im writing so when i get into the exam, ill feel less nervous than i am feeling right now!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:56 am »
For the 'What is history' component, I feel so nervous about studying for it. I have most of my historians on tabled format already but i feel like im kinda putting it off. I know i basically asked the same question for modern, but does anyone have a bunch of past papers that i could use to build up my knowledge and remember my key arguments. Also, does anyone have good tips on how i should be approaching writing these essays because clearly they are different from the Modern/Ancient Essays. Tbh, i really just want to feel more confident when im writing so when i get into the exam, ill feel less nervous than i am feeling right now!!
Hey bellerina!
Don't stress :) Literally everyone is in the same boat as you - I know I was! Given the nature of the subject, in that the syllabus is quite fluid and broad, it is very difficult to study for. Tables is definitely one of the best options! In terms of past papers, definitely check out the ones on NESA's website! Check out thsc as well - they might have some past trial papers on there :) If you ever run out of questions though, feel free to pop on to here and I'll make some up for ya ;)

I also strongly recommend using this thread, especially for 'What is History?'! Like I strongly recommend it. I specifically designed it to be the best study zone for history extension students. It's a place where you can test out your analytical skills, bounce of ideas (with me or another student) and really develop and strengthen your own opinions and voice. Developing a voice is one of the most critical things to doing well in history extension, and on that judgement free thread, that isn't being marked, you can do just that!

In terms of essay writing tips, you are right, they are different to modern and ancient. My biggest tips:
- Strong judgements
- NO CHRONOLOGY - don't do a paragraph on the ancient historians, then a paragraph on the enlightenment historians, the a paragraph on the postmodernists, etc. etc.
- Rather than a chronology, structure according to ideas and issues! Maybe the nature of truth/objectivity, the role of public history, the role of pop culture, role of ideology etc. etc. :)
- Pack your essay full of historians, but don't let them form the essay. They should be used to back up your own ideas! If I wanted to read a summary of their works, I'd do just that - read a summary of their works. What I want to see from you is analysis - why do they say this, why do they say that, etc. etc. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Susie

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »
Hey,

Has anyone tackled the 2011 Question, 'To what extent do historians own history?' I need someone to help me break my arguments down because I dont know if it is right  :(

Bellerina.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:10 pm »
Hey,

Has anyone tackled the 2011 Question, 'To what extent do historians own history?' I need someone to help me break my arguments down because I dont know if it is right  :(

Bellerina.
I have! You can actually find my essay for that very question right here :)

Defs can help you sort out your arguments - why don't you post them here?. Write up your arguments there and i'll get back to you as soon as I can (which will probably be tomorrow night due to the lectures tomorrow! eek how exciting!).

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 10:19:16 pm »
I have! You can actually find my essay for that very question right here :)

Defs can help you sort out your arguments - why don't you post them here?. Write up your arguments there and i'll get back to you as soon as I can (which will probably be tomorrow night due to the lectures tomorrow! eek how exciting!).

That defs sounds more exciting! I think I might just do that

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 09:12:39 pm »
Hi, I'm really struggling to write a Section II essay on the JFK case study from the 2015 HSC paper, which had the question:

"...the past is fixed - no one can change what happened - but as the values of society change, the historians' depiction of the past changes also"
To what extent does this statement apply to the changing interpretations of historical debates in your case study?

My main issue is avoiding the cliche structure of just listing how the historians' depictions changed over time and relating this to the changing social values. It's so much easier to write by concepts like 'history as power' or 'the inherent bias of the historian' in Section I essays, and I can't seem to figure out how to group my arguments into that sort of thematic structure for Section II. Any advice would be really appreciated! :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
+1
Hi, I'm really struggling to write a Section II essay on the JFK case study from the 2015 HSC paper, which had the question:

"...the past is fixed - no one can change what happened - but as the values of society change, the historians' depiction of the past changes also"
To what extent does this statement apply to the changing interpretations of historical debates in your case study?

My main issue is avoiding the cliche structure of just listing how the historians' depictions changed over time and relating this to the changing social values. It's so much easier to write by concepts like 'history as power' or 'the inherent bias of the historian' in Section I essays, and I can't seem to figure out how to group my arguments into that sort of thematic structure for Section II. Any advice would be really appreciated! :)
Hey, I'm doing JFK too. What parts of JFK are you doing? My class is studying Cuba, Kennedy and Khrushchev and Indochina. :D :D
My teacher has said that this essay is a lot more like a modern/ancient essay then section one. :) :)
For my half yearly, I just kinda went through and did a paragraph on the historian's context/methodology, and another paragraph linking this to how it affected their interpretations of the event (for the camelot, revisionist and post-revisionist historians). You need to have links between the groups of historians as well. I know this might seem like the cliche structure at the moment but it works for me.
You can definitely still add these concepts in, especially one's like historians bias (Sorenson was Kennedy's speechwriter-obviously biased). I'm not really sure if you could thematically write for section 2. I guess you could do a paragraph combining, comparing and contrasting your three historians context,and then one on their methodologies, and break it into differing interpretations on the same event (e.g Operation Mongoose, or Cuban Missile Crisis).
I don't know if I have been helpful or just really confusing. The thing is I don't really know what should be the structure if one of these essays.
Susie: What was you structure for the section 2 essays?? :) :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:14 pm »
+1

Hey, I'm doing JFK too. What parts of JFK are you doing? My class is studying Cuba, Kennedy and Khrushchev and Indochina. :D :D
My teacher has said that this essay is a lot more like a modern/ancient essay then section one. :) :)
For my half yearly, I just kinda went through and did a paragraph on the historian's context/methodology, and another paragraph linking this to how it affected their interpretations of the event (for the camelot, revisionist and post-revisionist historians). You need to have links between the groups of historians as well. I know this might seem like the cliche structure at the moment but it works for me.
You can definitely still add these concepts in, especially one's like historians bias (Sorenson was Kennedy's speechwriter-obviously biased). I'm not really sure if you could thematically write for section 2. I guess you could do a paragraph combining, comparing and contrasting your three historians context,and then one on their methodologies, and break it into differing interpretations on the same event (e.g Operation Mongoose, or Cuban Missile Crisis).
I don't know if I have been helpful or just really confusing. The thing is I don't really know what should be the structure if one of these essays.
Susie: What was you structure for the section 2 essays?? :) :)
Hey! Sorry I've been a bit neglectful of this thread for the past few days with the lectures :( - should be back to normal soon! :)
Awesome post Katie! The structure for Section II definitely is a tricky one to nail down - I actually did manage to write mine thematically (but I wrote thematic essays for pretty much all of my subjects haha). For Western Imperialism I looked at the various issues impacting upon the differing interpretations of the origins, aims and impacts of the British Empire, and identified things such as ideology of the historian (imperialist v. marxist, etc), the role of context (so looking at how the present conditions eg. globalisation, War in Iraq, rise in American Imperialism impacted upon the interpretation of Western Imperialism), role of popular history etc. etc. :) Definitely a bit trickier (in my opinion) than in section I, but a believe that a thematic essay can still be done!
However, I personally don't see anything wrong with Katie's structure! Just make sure that you don't end up writing a chronology (ie. the history of historiography), and instead actually write historiography (Katie's suggestion of looking at methodology is fantastic and so underrated! Methodology is one of the easiest things to incorporate, but so many students just don't seem to get that!)

But yes, hope this helps, and thanks so much Katie for a fantastic response!

Susie