Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:32:40 pm

Author Topic: opening and closing sentence of a conclusion  (Read 818 times)

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
opening and closing sentence of a conclusion
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:00:57 am »
are we not supposed to write "in conclusion" or "to conclude"...?
I just got some essays marked by ex hsc students and a common critique was that those lines sound too colloquial or redundant, I wasn't aware of this haha
what do I write instead to open my conclusion. and how do I end my conclusion w a sentence that has some kind of lasting impact- I currently generally just summarise everything I said in the essay.

thanks!!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: opening and closing sentence of a conclusion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:06:26 am »
+6
I just got some essays marked by ex hsc students and a common critique was that those lines sound too colloquial or redundant, I wasn't aware of this haha
what do I write instead to open my conclusion. and how do I end my conclusion w a sentence that has some kind of lasting impact- I currently generally just summarise everything I said in the essay.

thanks!!
I haven't done HSC but in general, you don't want to be using stuff like "In conclusion" or "To conclude".

It is good you are summarising your essay in the conclusion though. You never want to bring any new ideas into the conclusion. It is difficult to say what you should write without the essay topic or even what the essay is on but in general, I think you want to either be confirming your position on something or leaving the reader with something to think about.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 10:32:17 am »
+3

thanks!!
Personally (though, VCE student here, so it might not be correct) I usually use 'ultimately' instead, e.g. 'Ultimately, [author] shows that [arguments] through [etc.]'
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 05:18:03 pm »
+2

thanks!!

Hey, rirerire!

Just wanted to add to all the other wonderful responses here. I use "Ultimately" and "In essence" as substitutes for "In conclusion" because I think they are better for summarising and reinforcing your judgement on the question in that opening sentence of your conclusion  :)

As for how you can finish the essay with an impactful sentence, I really encourage students to wrap their essays up by pinpointing what the effect of the text is on the audience. This allows your personal voice to emerge at the very end and show your marker that you believe the text serves a greater purpose beyond just being a thing to study. An example of how you might write it could be something like this; "Thus, The Crucible will continue to remind audiences today and in the future to exercise critical judgement and evaluation towards their own behaviours and motivations as human beings." Hope that helps but feel free to ask any follow up questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music