Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:34:29 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1038517 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3675 on: March 10, 2019, 11:25:46 am »
Hi!
Can you please help with this question (from AC generators)?

Sketch graphs to show the relationship between:
(a) The flux through the coil and the induced
voltage.
(b) The torque acting on the coil and the induced voltage.

The answers show a sine relationship for (a), and a cosine relationship for (b) - but I can't seem to reason as to why. I thought that, for (a) - as flux increases to some maximum value, induced emf would decrease - and for (b) some sort of direct (not necessarily directly proportional) relationship would occur. Also, I'm a bit confused as to how both flux and torque can be on the x-axis (in the suggested answers) when, in a generator, they don't increase indefinitely?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Hello! I think there might be some issue with your question here, because you certainly shouldn't have a sinusoidal relationship between flux and voltage. Really, drawing a graph linking flux and induced emf is a faulty exercise, because induced emf depends on rate of change of flux. So you can't draw any sort of direct relationship between flux and emf.

Could you perhaps attach a picture of the graphs? Or a Dropbox link to an image or similar? Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I'd tend to agree more with your points ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3676 on: March 10, 2019, 11:30:29 am »
+1
Hi I'm in Year 11,

I am having trouble understanding the topic area of distance and displacement on horizontal planes, in particular the maths side of questions and formulas. Any guidance/ links to resources will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Coolmate  :D

Hey Coolmate!! Tough stuff for sure! :) the general approach to any of these questions is roughly the same:

- Break/resolve any given vector into two perpendicular pieces (ie - horizontal/vertical, north-south/east-west, etc)
- Perform your kinematics calculations on each direction separately, yielding one 'result' in each direction
- Recombine your two results into a single vector using trigonometry

If you attach an example of a question you are having trouble with, we'd be happy to step through it for you ;D

Jefferson

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3677 on: March 10, 2019, 01:40:42 pm »
Hi all,
Could someone show me how to solve this relative velocity problem using relative velocity vectors.

Angelica is inside train A moving at 80km/h South and sees Bob inside car B moving at 100 km/h at 300° T.
What is Bob's velocity relative to the ground?

Answers are 92km/h and 251° T.

Attachment below is what I did.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:42:30 pm by Jefferson »

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3678 on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:26 pm »
Hello! I think there might be some issue with your question here, because you certainly shouldn't have a sinusoidal relationship between flux and voltage. Really, drawing a graph linking flux and induced emf is a faulty exercise, because induced emf depends on rate of change of flux. So you can't draw any sort of direct relationship between flux and emf.

Could you perhaps attach a picture of the graphs? Or a Dropbox link to an image or similar? Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I'd tend to agree more with your points ;D

I've attached the question and provided answer :)
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #3679 on: March 18, 2019, 05:11:40 pm »
Hi all,
Could someone show me how to solve this relative velocity problem using relative velocity vectors.

Angelica is inside train A moving at 80km/h South and sees Bob inside car B moving at 100 km/h at 300° T.
What is Bob's velocity relative to the ground?

Answers are 92km/h and 251° T.

Attachment below is what I did.
Your working out is fine. Don't need to worry about relative velocity vectors.
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3680 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:10 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on all of the multiple choice questions and Q 2.1 b) in the link below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)

_Himani_

• Adventurer
« Reply #3681 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:46 pm »
Hey,
I was just wondering how I should prepare for a Processing and Data Analysis In-Class Assessment on modules 5 and 6. Where can I find questions to attempt? Would the general examples from the In Focus textbook be enough?
As always,
Thank You Very Much.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3682 on: March 18, 2019, 09:05:44 pm »
+1
Hello,
I am stuck on all of the multiple choice questions and Q 2.1 b) in the link below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)

Sure thing David!

- 1.1 is (D), because all the others have nonsense words with nothing to do with anything ;)
- 1.2 you are right with (D)
- 1.3 is (B), the energy of an emitted photoelectron is \(E=hf-\phi\). It has nothing to do with intensity, only the frequency of light and the work function of the metal.
- 1.3 is C), because that's just how it was ;D

As for the last one, remember that the energy of emitted photoelectrons is always \(E=hf-\phi\). Again, intensity has nothing to do with that - Intensity only releases MORE photoelectrons, it doesn't change their individual energies. Therefore, if the light doesn't have a high enough frequency, you won't get a photocurrent no matter how intense your light is ;D

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3683 on: March 18, 2019, 10:45:48 pm »
Hey,
I was just wondering how I should prepare for a Processing and Data Analysis In-Class Assessment on modules 5 and 6. Where can I find questions to attempt? Would the general examples from the In Focus textbook be enough?
As always,
Thank You Very Much.
You can buy the topic tests from atarnotes of course :)

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3684 on: March 18, 2019, 10:46:51 pm »
Sure thing David!

- 1.1 is (D), because all the others have nonsense words with nothing to do with anything ;)
- 1.2 you are right with (D)
- 1.3 is (B), the energy of an emitted photoelectron is \(E=hf-\phi\). It has nothing to do with intensity, only the frequency of light and the work function of the metal.
- 1.3 is C), because that's just how it was ;D

As for the last one, remember that the energy of emitted photoelectrons is always \(E=hf-\phi\). Again, intensity has nothing to do with that - Intensity only releases MORE photoelectrons, it doesn't change their individual energies. Therefore, if the light doesn't have a high enough frequency, you won't get a photocurrent no matter how intense your light is ;D
Thanks Jamon! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3685 on: March 18, 2019, 10:52:52 pm »
+2
Hey,
As always,
Thank You Very Much.

These are hard to prepare for!! It's really just about building your general understanding of the topics. As David so kindly mentions above, you can buy the AN Topic Tests for that purpose ;) but of course, Physics In Focus or anything you already have will do just fine as well!!

On top of that, make sure you practice experiment skills. Validity/accuracy/reliability, graphing skills, variables, sources of error, that sort of stuff :) if you needed any of that clarified let us know!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3686 on: March 18, 2019, 10:55:32 pm »
Thanks Jamon! :)

You're welcome! Happy to help :)

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3687 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:38 pm »
Hello,
I have trouble with all of Q 2.3 in the attachment below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks ;)

Dillan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3688 on: March 28, 2019, 10:04:24 pm »
Hey everyone,

Got a physics depth study due soon on motors in particular DC ones.

Was just after a few ideas of an inquiry question to base my depth study on.

Also if anyone has any tips and tricks on writing writing a band 6 depth study, would be greatly appreciated if you can send it my way

Cheers

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3689 on: March 28, 2019, 10:57:25 pm »
+1
Hello,
I have trouble with all of Q 2.3 in the attachment below. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks ;)

Hey David! How did you end up going with this? If you are struggling with an entire worksheet of questions on a topic it is probably worth going back to the notes/textbook on the topic, watching some YouTube videos, etc. It will be better for you than just having the answers served to you by someone else!! I'd also wager that wanting 10 questions worth of answers is probably why you didn't get much of a response to this post - You'll get help much faster if you work with us a bit and show us what understanding you do have and where your confusions lie ;D