Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 11:56:19 am

Author Topic: DFAT  (Read 1518 times)  Share 

appianway

DFAT
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »
This has probably been asked before, but considering that I'm falling more and more in love with international economics, I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the process could shed some light. I'm only a freshman, but I'm strongly considering their policy graduate program (I'm very strongly leaning towards an economic major). What sort of extra curriculars do you need to apply? I'm involved in some international relations stuff (organizing a UN trip, probably organizing some speakers...) at college, but I get the impression that a super competitive application process. I doubt I'd ever get in, but does anyone have much knowledge about it all?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: DFAT
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:18 am »
I know lots of people who WANT to work at DFAT. If you do want to apply, keep in mind that the applications to DFAT graduate programmes close earlier than most of the public service (apart from maybe AusAID, which is also very popular), you'd be needing to get an application together in March or maybe early April in order to start in January or February in the following year. There are two streams: Policy, and Corporate. I'm not really sure of the difference, but I imagine an interest in economics could be applicable to either.

I think realistically anything with an IR bent would be good as an extra-curricular activity, perhaps even things like the model UN would be worth looking into. I'd also suggest that leadership roles in whatever organisations you choose to get involved with would be preferable to just being a general member. And if there are no organisations, founding one would be excellent. Volunteering overseas for your cause of choice would probably set you apart from other applicants, and would show language learning skills. If you can intern or volunteer somewhere that has an international focus, that would really be impressive. Since you're in the US and not that far from New York, there could be some really good opportunities.

A lot of people apply to DFAT a few times before they are successful. They might apply after they have finished their undergrad, don't get in, and then go on to do a masters or an honours year or something and apply again, and then even get some job experience and apply again.

appianway

Re: DFAT
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:42:57 am »
Thanks! I'm genuinely just really really curious at this stage - I've become super super super interested in international trade and economics, so it's great to hear more about the opportunities that exist back home :)