Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 09:54:27 pm

Author Topic: Kids harass 69 year old bus monitor, internet responds  (Read 8445 times)  Share 

anonymous1

Re: Kids harass 69 year old bus monitor, internet responds
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »
+3
I don't think it is correct for people to let these guys get away with something like this or any sort of leeway because they are "kids" and "don't understand what they are doing" because that is just fucken bullshit. They are old enough to know not to hurt another person like that. This act was clearly deliberate, disgusting and disgraceful. These guys need to be taught a lesson but perhaps the whole posting personal information on the internet is incorrect. I think some people also underestimate the impact such verbal abuse, especially continuous taunting by a number of people, can do to someone. It is not fair to say that if it was "physical" it would've been more serious because verbal abuse can also have equal impacts. Obviously it can be otherwise depending on the type of physical abuse. Maybe put yourself in her shoes and see how you would feel if so many people were around you, recording you and abusing you. You would feel helpless and vulnerable. Not everyone is strong, some people may be able to deal with it others not. In conclusions what these mother fuckers did was WRONG! they should not be thought as "kids" and thus be given leeway and I hope not only these boys but also parents and other teenagers learn something from this.

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 05:34:52 pm »
They should just be sent for psychopathic evaluation. Unprovoked (I'm assuming) verbal abuse to a stranger on that level is far from a mistake and beyond what most normal people would do. If this is what they're doing at 12, I'd hate to see what they're like at 18
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:59 pm »
I don't think it is correct for people to let these guys get away with something like this or any sort of leeway because they are "kids" and "don't understand what they are doing" because that is just fucken bullshit. They are old enough to know not to hurt another person like that. This act was clearly deliberate, disgusting and disgraceful. These guys need to be taught a lesson but perhaps the whole posting personal information on the internet is incorrect. I think some people also underestimate the impact such verbal abuse, especially continuous taunting by a number of people, can do to someone. It is not fair to say that if it was "physical" it would've been more serious because verbal abuse can also have equal impacts. Obviously it can be otherwise depending on the type of physical abuse. Maybe put yourself in her shoes and see how you would feel if so many people were around you, recording you and abusing you. You would feel helpless and vulnerable. Not everyone is strong, some people may be able to deal with it others not. In conclusions what these mother fuckers did was WRONG! they should not be thought as "kids" and thus be given leeway and I hope not only these boys but also parents and other teenagers learn something from this.

I never said we should let them get away with this, I'm saying we should let justice take its path and not engage in vigilante acts. I never said what they did was right or that they don't understand.

They should just be sent for psychopathic evaluation. Unprovoked (I'm assuming) verbal abuse to a stranger on that level is far from a mistake and beyond what most normal people would do. If this is what they're doing at 12, I'd hate to see what they're like at 18

Not psychopathic evaluation, probably just psychological, they're not exactly psychopaths. What are you trying to say? That people don't have the ability to grow up and change?

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 06:08:56 pm »
+1
unless the cycle is broken
Taking a softly-softly approach is hardly going to do that, unless you think giving them the idea that "I can do any shit I want because I'm under 18 and you can't touch me ner ner ner ner ner" is going to change anything.

Punishing them has no tangible effect, we need to help them break out of their idiocy.
Lol, how do you propose we "help them", if not by showing them that their actions have consequences?

Secondly, just because they act that way doesn't mean their parents are bad, sometimes I've seen truly good parents with kids who are idiots, but it's not the parents' fault, they just don't know what their kids get up to.
Pretty sure "don't know what their kids get up to" is a mark of being a shitty parent

what do we even know about the situation of what has happened
We know what the video evidence proves. Tell me, what possible extenuating circumstances would have justified this abuse in your eyes?

don't you feel any sympathy for the kids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_pity
Nope, they knew what they were doing, why the hell do they deserve any sympathy? Where's your sympathy for the victim?

To sum up, look at the extent of their crime, it's verbal harassment, nothing more, emotions aside, looking at it objectively, it is just that. There are far worse crimes that happen every day, people getting bashed up at train stations late at night, people being discriminated against in the workforce, dangerous drivers putting other road users at risk, look at all those situations, situations where people's lives are at risk, do they get 80,000 dollars in compensation?
"Because worse things happen" is a terrible justification for anything :\ "oh you beat up that old woman, at least you didn't kill her, that's okay then"

Just because the internet happened to catch wind of this and rally together does not mean the kids should be let off scott-free.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »
We're basing what we think is fair or not based on a Youtube video, what do we even know about the situation of what has happened? We can't just go around committing vigilante justice, it doesn't help anything.

Come on, you can't actually be appealing to the validity of the situation surrounding the video. Look at it. There's 10 minutes of evidence that more than speaks for itself.

There are far worse crimes that happen every day, people getting bashed up at train stations late at night, people being discriminated against in the workforce, dangerous drivers putting other road users at risk, look at all those situations, situations where people's lives are at risk, do they get 80,000 dollars in compensation?

I'm pretty sure this counts under discrimination in the workforce.

Ninwa, I think you're missing my point though, you might think it's fair that their futures are ruined, but the thing is, unless the cycle is broken, they're likely to have kids which they can't raise properly because they're stuck doing menial jobs meaning that their kids are more likely to get involved in crime as well, meaning that their grandkids might be affected and it's an ongoing cycle. Punishing them has no tangible effect, we need to help them break out of their idiocy.

Hmm..Should we not punish criminals for their crimes? What should we do to them? I don't understand. And that's a pretty big string of consecutive assumptions you just made. I count 4.

The point is, if you're going to go out of your own way to intentionally abuse or harass someone without any apparent reason, and think you can simply get away with it, then I'm sorry, you're going to learn the hard way.
Science, Melbourne University.

anonymous1

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
I never said we should let them get away with this, I'm saying we should let justice take its path and not engage in vigilante acts. I never said what they did was right or that they don't understand.

I wasn't exactly aiming this at you, i never said anything about anyone thinking it is not wrong. In terms of the "getting away" thing i actually meant more so a leeway which i stated later (i should've just fixed that). Well anyway my point is that they are not "kids" they should be punished however posting personal information on the net about them is probably not the best way, which is basically what you are saying too?

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »
+1
Nina, I'm not saying that we should take a soft approach and let them get away with it, I'm saying that we should let the courts decide what is appropriate, and then afterwards, society should help them become better people. This is what we want, we don't want to punish them, we want them to change their ways.

I think that it's not about them understanding the consequences of their actions but rather them understanding that it is hurtful towards other people and them developing sympathy for others. I'll use a personal example, I used to really hate this guy, so me and a few friends played pranks on him, it wasn't anything bad it was just practical jokes, I knew there were consequences, I knew I'd get detentions if I was caught, but did I really care? No, I just tried to hide and avoid being caught. So why did I stop? I stopped because I thought about it and I understood what I was doing wasn't right and that I was hurting him, it was a joke to us, but it wasn't appreciated from his perspective. (Yes, I had a process by which I came to that realisation, but that's not important)

Now, I don't think it's fair that parents have to know everything that their kids are up to. I know that if I were to go and taunt people on the bus, my parents wouldn't have a clue, as long as I act normally at home. So it's not always fair to blame the parents.

I'm not saying anything can justify this abuse, but I'm just saying we don't know everything about what has happenned. And yes, I know that was an appeal to pity/sympathy, and I know they knew what they were doing, but it doesn't justify us ruining their future now does it? I feel sympathy for them because I understand that they have the potential to change. I do feel sympathy for the victim, I never said I didn't.

I'm not saying that's OK, I'm saying, what they did isn't an isolated case, it just so happens that this gets internet attention because it went viral on youtube. But I'm definately not saying they should be let off scot-free. What I'm emphasising is that we shouldn't be taking out vigilante justice and we should let the courts decide what happens to them.

86, my point is that it's a video on Youtube, it's evidence but it's not the be-all-and-end-all. However, my main point is still that we can't commit vigilante justice, it's not right for us to be doing this.

Umm, how is it discrimination in the workforce, elaborate?

I'm not saying we shouldn't punish criminals for their crimes, where did I ever say that? I'm just saying punishment alone has no tangible effect, it's part of a solution but not the whole solution. What they need is help, they need to change their beliefs and their ways.

Anon1, yes, that's what I'm saying too :)

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:41 pm »
What are you trying to say? That people don't have the ability to grow up and change?
Lol dude. Where'd you get that from? If I did believe that, I wouldn't even bother with evaluations
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:22 pm »
+1
Lol dude. Where'd you get that from? If I did believe that, I wouldn't even bother with evaluations

In reference to the If this is what they're doing at 12, I'd hate to see what they're like at 18

No aggression intended :P

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »
+6
I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't be punished, but they should be punished appropriately.

Releasing information about where they live is immature, dangerous and unnecessary. The internet is prone to overly-emotive knee jerk responces in these sorts of situations.

anonymous1

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 11:16:41 pm »
I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't be punished, but they should be punished appropriately.

Releasing information about where they live is immature, dangerous and unnecessary. The internet is prone to overly-emotive knee jerk responces in these sorts of situations.

exactly :)

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »
http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

The donations currently sit at $418,630 - she says she plans to take her family on a trip to Disneyland with her new found wealth. She could retire on this amount of money.
Science, Melbourne University.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »
+1
Holy shit, that's almost half a million dollars!! D:

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian