Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:20:08 am

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665491 times)  Share 

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1245 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:52 am »
Ok sweet, I see where your coming from and I agree completely - where from do u recommend and in what quantity - I can do a solid trial in under 2 hours usually. That's without accounting for tricky questions. Less if I skip the easier questions-however I do think I should start focusing on doing them properly Coz yes, Dumb mistakes are annoying(that's actually what my gf called me first day of school hahaha). I have 7 weeks till trials, what is a reasonable amount ( I will be in Europe for two of them and I will go ham when I get back)? Thanks so much for the advice Rui hahaha I'm genuinely taking notes on what uve said Ahahha

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1246 on: June 16, 2017, 09:32:23 am »
+1
Well honestly, look, it's not easy to simply 'recommend' an amount because everyone needs to put in amount that works for them. In my opinion, whatever constitutes a 'good' amount is an amount that allows you to get to the level you want to be, without impairing your performance in other subjects. Of course if you want to be like me and put in a tad too much effort into 4U that's possible, but you risk reducing your marks in the other subjects even more so think about if that's worth it.

There's nothing wrong with skipping some easy questions every now and then especially if they're becoming a bore and time-wasting. Just don't neglect them completely because yeah, silly mistakes.

(Them relationship struggles though...)

Unfortunately it's been too long and I don't remember exactly how I planned out my trial study plan, or I probably would've just told you about it

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1247 on: June 16, 2017, 01:22:51 pm »
+1
Well honestly, look, it's not easy to simply 'recommend' an amount because everyone needs to put in amount that works for them. In my opinion, whatever constitutes a 'good' amount is an amount that allows you to get to the level you want to be, without impairing your performance in other subjects. Of course if you want to be like me and put in a tad too much effort into 4U that's possible, but you risk reducing your marks in the other subjects even more so think about if that's worth it.

There's nothing wrong with skipping some easy questions every now and then especially if they're becoming a bore and time-wasting. Just don't neglect them completely because yeah, silly mistakes.

(Them relationship struggles though...)

Unfortunately it's been too long and I don't remember exactly how I planned out my trial study plan, or I probably would've just told you about it

I'm planning on picking up the Atarnotes 4u books and giving them a go. I'm doing that in combination with set sheets from my tutor. I just don't feel confident in doing the work.

I ALWAYS second guess my work, I'm always afraid to post solutions to 2U questions (even though I've sat the course) in the fear I'll get something wrong and I feel that it's affecting me here as well.

Do you have any advice for this? I've never been particularly talented in Maths but don't find myself struggling with the maths but more interpreting the question and being confident in approaching it.

Heavy Things :(

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1248 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:44 pm »
+1
I'm planning on picking up the Atarnotes 4u books and giving them a go. I'm doing that in combination with set sheets from my tutor. I just don't feel confident in doing the work.

I ALWAYS second guess my work, I'm always afraid to post solutions to 2U questions (even though I've sat the course) in the fear I'll get something wrong and I feel that it's affecting me here as well.

Do you have any advice for this? I've never been particularly talented in Maths but don't find myself struggling with the maths but more interpreting the question and being confident in approaching it.
At uni, I'm always second guessing my work. I would write something down and doubting it because there was probably a silly mistake in there somewhere.

At the start, just roll with it. Literally, don't even bother checking it all and just move on. Do that until you've done every question you can easily do and all that's rest is the toughies that gets you a band E4.

THAT is when you go check. Focus on actually getting the question done, because if all your mistakes are arithmetic errors but your method is right, there's only so much they can deduct.

Of course, if you arrive at a contradiction you should know to backtrack. But if you reach an answer that makes sense and might only be off by a bit, just move on.

It's hard to be perfect at maths and just not make mistakes. Those that don't do that are who get state ranks, and that's only about what, 10 out of 3500 people? You're most going to need to let some mistakes happen.

The important thing is to get into the habit of moving on and accepting it for as long as you can. Go back only when it's the right time to in an exam.

With posting solutions on here, look being honest I make mistakes too. I try my best to make sure I do nothing wrong but more often than expected it just is plain wrong. And I can understand why some people are probably too shy to post solutions in front of me as well - I do have a habit of critiquing where the faults are as well. I get used to it after a bit though - people critique mine as well. That really just takes getting used to, I'd say.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1249 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:16 pm »
+2

Honestly man I have had the exact same problem. I'm sure tonnes of people have, especially this other guy in my class. And honestly, and this is what's so annoying about maths at least in my opinion, it's always easier then it looks. Like 95% of the time you know how to do it or have the ability. I found and so did this guy in my class that the hardest part is starting. The questions won't ask you something you can't do or that they haven't given you the information to do - it just becomes how you apply that, and you really can't see that or the sneaky tricks until your half way in (unless ur a god like Rui most likely). Idk if this is useful advice, but I'd say with the questions your not confident on, it's important just to start and see if you get somewhere because hopefully the tricks will become apparent once you get into it. AND HOPEFULLY YOU GET THERE. But if u don't that's fine too, and there's this forum and lots of worked solutions as well, so hopefully you can always work it out - and pick up the tricks they used. I really don't think there are many people that have gotten even 70% of the questions they've done throughout their 4u career.

My teacher always says this thing about Einstein. He said that Einstein didn't think he was that smart, it was just that he never gave up on a question - and I think that's really important here, at least to some extent because we have other things to do and it can be quite hard.

Sorry for the super long post, but hope it helps.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1250 on: June 16, 2017, 06:10:32 pm »
+1
With 4U, I too to this day still only see it halfway in every now and then.

Have faith though. 70% scrapes E4s occasionally; 72% quite often

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1251 on: June 16, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »
I just mean like with every single question you've ever done, especially at first try, not many people would've gotten 70-100% of those right. It's more than possible to get crazy high marks in the HSC, but of course mistakes as well just getting things plain wrong is half of the battle on the way there

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1252 on: June 17, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
At uni, I'm always second guessing my work. I would write something down and doubting it because there was probably a silly mistake in there somewhere.

At the start, just roll with it. Literally, don't even bother checking it all and just move on. Do that until you've done every question you can easily do and all that's rest is the toughies that gets you a band E4.

THAT is when you go check. Focus on actually getting the question done, because if all your mistakes are arithmetic errors but your method is right, there's only so much they can deduct.

Of course, if you arrive at a contradiction you should know to backtrack. But if you reach an answer that makes sense and might only be off by a bit, just move on.

It's hard to be perfect at maths and just not make mistakes. Those that don't do that are who get state ranks, and that's only about what, 10 out of 3500 people? You're most going to need to let some mistakes happen.

The important thing is to get into the habit of moving on and accepting it for as long as you can. Go back only when it's the right time to in an exam.

With posting solutions on here, look being honest I make mistakes too. I try my best to make sure I do nothing wrong but more often than expected it just is plain wrong. And I can understand why some people are probably too shy to post solutions in front of me as well - I do have a habit of critiquing where the faults are as well. I get used to it after a bit though - people critique mine as well. That really just takes getting used to, I'd say.

I've tried to take that advice on board, it's going to be difficult changing my mindset but I guess it's the best way. I constantly get surrounded by people who are just incredibly talented at Maths and it's hard not to feel inadequate. I've got friends complaining about 97%'s in their tests while I'm hoping for 75+. It's a bit ironic coming from a school where 5 people are doing 4u but even so, seeing my tutor effortlessly solve the questions at a glance (2016 HSC grad with 94 in 4U) and being my age doesn't help my confidence.

I feel like I need to stop lying to myself and believe that I'm somewhat capable in Maths relative to my peers. I just need that boost in confidence :\

Thanks to you both for the words, it has helped greatly.
Heavy Things :(

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1253 on: June 18, 2017, 01:07:46 pm »

Help pls what even is this??

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1254 on: June 18, 2017, 01:35:37 pm »
+1
(Image removed from quote.)

Help pls what even is this??

I don't get what they have. I get -1/(n+1) not +1/(n+2)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1255 on: June 18, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »
Thanks Rui. I really don't think I can help u there AHHAHA I'll get back to u if I work anything out or if my teacher gets it. HOW DO U JUST KNOW HOW TO DO IT hahaha

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1256 on: June 18, 2017, 04:59:55 pm »
+1
Thanks Rui. I really don't think I can help u there AHHAHA I'll get back to u if I work anything out or if my teacher gets it. HOW DO U JUST KNOW HOW TO DO IT hahaha
Tbh it's pretty typical in 3U binomial theorem. Have you covered the whole topic?

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1257 on: June 18, 2017, 06:10:26 pm »
Haha no not really. Not properly - could u post ur working, I think I have an idea of how u did it but not sure. Thanks rui

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »

Note: Faster approach: Perform a definite integral from -1 to 0 instead.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1259 on: June 18, 2017, 06:50:44 pm »
oh i know where the mistake is from (the negative) you jsut times by negative across both and it fixes it.

I THINK HAHAH <-- coz i could be wrong hahah