Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:03:49 pm

Author Topic: International Politics  (Read 14515 times)  Share 

Insane_Emm

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
International Politics
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:08:04 pm »
does anyone else do that here? just wondering about the different ways its being taught at schools and stuff.

what subject did you focus the most on? global conflics; internationalism and globalisation.... etcetc?
mm - Hunting the wild pineapple

'06 - Religion & Society
'07 - Indonesian Second Language, English, Literature, International Studies, Psychology.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
International Politics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:47:43 pm »
international politics goes into either national politics or international studies at 3/4 i think

i do international studies, it's a great subject, probably the most interesting one ive done/am doing :)

our 4 areas of study were
1. internationalism and globalisation
2. global conflicts (e.g. the Iraq wars, breakup of Yugoslavia, Somalia, Rwanda etc, as well as studying terrorism)
3. Asia-Pacific region (our 'detailed study' was the China-Taiwan crisis)
4. Australian foreign policy
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

PMD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
International Politics
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:09:01 pm »
I'll be doing the subject next year through distance ed. Would those of you that have done it think of it as a subject that would be easy to complete via distance ed (i.e, mostly comprising of doing some reading and writing essays)?
b]2007[/b] - Legal Studies, IT Applications
2008 - Literature, History: Revolutions, International Studies, National Politics, UMEP History

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:13:31 pm »
which one, international studies or national politics?

international studies is a LOT of reading. for all my other subjects i barely used up one folder for the whole year ... for international studies i needed 5. there are lots and lots and lots of handouts, since there is only i think one IS textbook in victoria :roll:

i think you could do it quite easily via distance ed. its really just lotsa reading which you do in your own time :)

do IS, its such an interesting subject :)

PMD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
International Politics
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:21:52 pm »
I'm intending to do both National Politics and International Studies, actually! Both through distance ed, since my school doesn't offer the subjects. Ugh, stupid VCAL oriented school.

I'm hoping that some of the content from the international studies course will tie in with history revolutions and UMEP history (hopefully!) next year, that'd make it a lot more mangeable. Is there much opportunity use current events within your answers?

You 2007ers have got a really nice section B topic ths year! I'd love to be doign power in asia/pacific.
b]2007[/b] - Legal Studies, IT Applications
2008 - Literature, History: Revolutions, International Studies, National Politics, UMEP History

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
International Politics
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:24:27 pm »
ninwa, why do I get the impression you are underestimating yourself with your predictions hmm?

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:34:40 pm »
Quote from: "PMD"
I'm intending to do both National Politics and International Studies, actually! Both through distance ed, since my school doesn't offer the subjects. Ugh, stupid VCAL oriented school.

I'm hoping that some of the content from the international studies course will tie in with history revolutions and UMEP history (hopefully!) next year, that'd make it a lot more mangeable. Is there much opportunity use current events within your answers?

You 2007ers have got a really nice section B topic ths year! I'd love to be doign power in asia/pacific.

Well there's not a lot of history in IS, except the wars bit, and those are all post-Cold-War conflicts, which I dont think the history course goes into?

And yes, examiners apparently LOVE it when you mention something current. Like I'm planning on trying to mention that N. Korea has signed that agreement this year to stop with the nuclear weapons or whatever it was lol :)

Yea, I love the Asia-Pacific area of study, esp China-Taiwan, cos then I can argue with my parents over it :P (I'm chinese)

Also I'm just glad we don't have to write on Australian foreign policy lol.

goosefraba: which bit do you think I'm underestimating :P

cara.mel

International Politics
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:44:46 pm »
Nina, if I am estimating a score in Language for myself higher than your one for English, then something is definitely wrong with the world :P

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 07:45:38 pm »
not if you knew just how much i screwed up that exam :P

cara.mel

International Politics
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 07:48:27 pm »
Ok then, worst case scenario, one of the 10 mark things with that 'are we overprotected' thing you get say 6, that is still 56/60 :P
And you know based on your SoM that chem/bio are estimated too low as well, for a start :)

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 07:50:55 pm »
huh, I thought chem was being generous. Maybe I should ask some ppl :P

bio seems ok seeing as it was a low A+

ok so i dont really know much about study scores lol

EDIT: also, its not just the POV that i screwed up. i wrote possibly two of my worst essays in history in that exam. also i forgot a conclusion for my analysis. woot.

cara.mel

International Politics
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 07:55:07 pm »
I think that if you got exactly the same end of year, mid 40s for chem, low 40s for bio at the very least.
If you think about it, if you lost about the same # of marks end of year, and near perfect sac, then there aren't physically enough study score slots to have a unique # of points between 50 to 40 (eg say 300/300 - 50, 299/300- 49 etc). Which won't be the case hopefully because hopefully not all subjects are as tight or stupid as methods was last year.

I wish I knew what I got for chem. Oh well. Should have a fair indication in 1.5 months anyway :)

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:19 pm »
You woulda got just about full marks miss science and maths nerd :P you better get 50 for chem melissa! (no pressure)

cara.mel

International Politics
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »
Are the POV and analysis similar to the GAT tasks 2 and 1 respectively, btw? Or something completely different =P

Btw, sorry greater beings I know this is off-topic now xD

ninwa

International Politics
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
Quote from: "cara.mel"
I think that if you got exactly the same end of year, mid 40s for chem, low 40s for bio at the very least.
If you think about it, if you lost about the same # of marks end of year, and near perfect sac, then there aren't physically enough study score slots to have a unique # of points between 50 to 40 (eg say 300/300 - 50, 299/300- 49 etc). Which won't be the case hopefully because hopefully not all subjects are as tight or stupid as methods was last year.

oh, and that went right over my head. i have no powers of logic.

POV is like GAT. analysis is a bit like 1/2 english language ... except we analyse the effect of the language rather than "oh hey here's a noun!" :P