Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 03:13:30 am

Author Topic: University and Prereqs  (Read 1494 times)

gumscape

• Adventurer
  • in the long run we are all dead
  • Respect: 0
University and Prereqs
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:52 am »
Hey all!

It's time for year 12 to start thinking or even preparing to apply for uni courses (or for my school at least). I'm thinking of doing Biomeds at Uni of Melb or UNSW (or just any uni that will take me tbh) and I saw that Chemistry is in the prereq (I know it sounds kinda 'duhhh'). The thing is that I dropped Chem within the first term of year 11 so does that mean I'm not eligible to apply? Or I still can but I will need a bridging course?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm clueless when it comes to uni and all.
Thank you!!
HSC '18 (ATAR goal: 90+)
ESL | Adv. Maths | Economics | Biology | Vietnamese Continuers

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: University and Prereqs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:52:07 am »
+1
I’ll just say this - prelim chem is FAR more use than HSC chem for chemistry related degrees at uni. If you can handle mole theory and all the fancy things, you pretty much have the bare minimum.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:00 pm »
+1
Hey all!

It's time for year 12 to start thinking or even preparing to apply for uni courses (or for my school at least). I'm thinking of doing Biomeds at Uni of Melb or UNSW (or just any uni that will take me tbh) and I saw that Chemistry is in the prereq (I know it sounds kinda 'duhhh'). The thing is that I dropped Chem within the first term of year 11 so does that mean I'm not eligible to apply? Or I still can but I will need a bridging course?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm clueless when it comes to uni and all.
Thank you!!
Not sure about this particular degree, but I'm pretty sure you can still get in by doing a bridging course!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:52 pm »
The nature of a prerequisite is that you need to complete the bridging course before the degree starts. I think if you wanted to enter into the degree for 2019 you would have to call the university and apply directly with them, and get information about prerequisite timelines and whether they offer summer units or where you could go to do the prerequisite over summer.

The alternative is just doing a Science degree. Take Chem. If you want to transfer into Biomed, you can. If you’re happy with science. Great.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:10:02 pm »
+2
Will just throw out there that prerequisites do mean different things for different institutions. For UniMelb, for example, it's a requirement for entry. For many NSW institutions though, it is just suggested knowledge to be able to keep up in the program - Absolutely not required. I'm fairly sure that no universities in NSW enforce specific subjects as entry requirements, except for USYD and Mathematics starting in 2019 (it is possible others now do it too, but this is last I heard).

Either way, be sure to clarify this first. Chances are you'll be okay to just apply (for a NSW uni). Even if it isn't compulsory, a bridging course is probably a good call to be able to access the content in those first year subjects most effectively! :)

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:13:12 pm »
If you miss a prerequisite score by 1 point then would it still be possible to get into a course that needed the prerequisite?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:56:51 pm »
If you miss a prerequisite score by 1 point then would it still be possible to get into a course that needed the prerequisite?
from that study score alone you won't be able to since they are very strict with subjet prereq scores as appopsed to ATARs (you can get slightly lower) but you may be able to do other forms of study/bridging courses to get in