Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:40:23 am

Author Topic: Major works  (Read 1144 times)  Share 

JoyMaalouf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Major works
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:59:24 am »
Hey guys! Is anybody else struggling to condense and bring together their information to actually form a major work?
Does anybody have any tips on how to sort/structure the major work? I feel like I have information overload and can't figure out how to make it all fit HAHA

thanks! And good luck to everyone else with their major works

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Major works
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »
Hey guys! Is anybody else struggling to condense and bring together their information to actually form a major work?
Does anybody have any tips on how to sort/structure the major work? I feel like I have information overload and can't figure out how to make it all fit HAHA

thanks! And good luck to everyone else with their major works
Hey Joy!

Definitely is tricky - but that's the nature of history extension ;) The best way to structure the major work in my opinion is to focus on key historiographical issues, rather than just listing different interpretations or (gulp  :-[ ) writing a chronology of the historiography. So say a paragraph on how your topic is impacted by the concept of social history, or the impact of pop culture, ideology, context, etc. etc. :) That will allow you to focus more on the debates, and to provide your own voice and opinion, rather than just explain what other people think! So my number one tip, which may sound simple but is actually something that a lot of people mess up: focus on the historiography, not the history. I don't need to know that much about whatever historical event you are exploring - what I want to know is how and why are the interpretations of this event/personality/issue shaped in a particular way!

Hope this helps,

Susie

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

JoyMaalouf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Major works
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:10:31 pm »

Hey Joy!

Definitely is tricky - but that's the nature of history extension ;) The best way to structure the major work in my opinion is to focus on key historiographical issues, rather than just listing different interpretations or (gulp  :-[ ) writing a chronology of the historiography. So say a paragraph on how your topic is impacted by the concept of social history, or the impact of pop culture, ideology, context, etc. etc. :) That will allow you to focus more on the debates, and to provide your own voice and opinion, rather than just explain what other people think! So my number one tip, which may sound simple but is actually something that a lot of people mess up: focus on the historiography, not the history. I don't need to know that much about whatever historical event you are exploring - what I want to know is how and why are the interpretations of this event/personality/issue shaped in a particular way!

Hope this helps,

Susie

Thank you for the tips susie!!