Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:54:28 am

Author Topic: Picking historians!  (Read 2352 times)  Share 

JoyMaalouf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Picking historians!
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:01 pm »
+1
Hey guys! My teacher likes to make an emphasis on having a wide range of historians, however I don't want to go into historian overload as I will just stress

If I am confident with the historians in the Ken Webb book (Herodotus, von ranke etc) and add onto this a few more contemporary historians, will this be enough? Or should I also research more historians from the past?
Thanks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Picking historians!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:29:10 pm »
+5
Hey guys! My teacher likes to make an emphasis on having a wide range of historians, however I don't want to go into historian overload as I will just stress

If I am confident with the historians in the Ken Webb book (Herodotus, von ranke etc) and add onto this a few more contemporary historians, will this be enough? Or should I also research more historians from the past?
Thanks!

Hey!! It's not as scary as it seems don't worry :) Remember the historians you included in your major work? They count as What is History historians too! My final What is History essay featured a lot of similar arguments and points as my major work - the best part about including them is that they are unique! Whereas sooo many students use the ken webb book (cries), the historians in your major work, and your interpretation of their arguments are totally yours :)

You'll also work out that you tend to like/use certain historians works more than others. For me, I usually stuck with EH Carr, Keith Jenkins and John Vincent. For almost all questions I encountered, these historians were enough, because they provided a lot of range :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

JoyMaalouf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »

Hey!! It's not as scary as it seems don't worry :) Remember the historians you included in your major work? They count as What is History historians too! My final What is History essay featured a lot of similar arguments and points as my major work - the best part about including them is that they are unique! Whereas sooo many students use the ken webb book (cries), the historians in your major work, and your interpretation of their arguments are totally yours :)

You'll also work out that you tend to like/use certain historians works more than others. For me, I usually stuck with EH Carr, Keith Jenkins and John Vincent. For almost all questions I encountered, these historians were enough, because they provided a lot of range :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

That helps heaps! Thank you:)

marleely

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »
+1
How do you know you schedule your time during the exam?

mitchello

• Trailblazer
  • This sentence is false.
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:38:09 pm »
+2
The 2 hour exam features two essays, weighted evenly. The obvious answer would be to delegate 1 hour to each response, but if you are more confident in writing about your case study, as oppose to the uncertain 'What is History?' essay, then you should adjust accordingly (probably no more than 5-10 minutes). In the reading time, I personally will read the Section II question first and think it through, before trying to deconstruct the source in Section I. But that part is up to you. Also, if you're a plan type of person, it'd be useful to spend 5 minutes or so jotting down the cascade of thoughts and ideas that come with the sources. Hope this helped

EDIT: I am no master and am still in Year 12, definitely go with what Suzie says  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:15:59 pm by mitchello »
Advanced English//Mathematics//Economics//Legal Studies//Ancient History//History Extension

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 06:33:45 pm »
+2
I would spend at least 10 minutes planning for each essay. As you need to integrate the sources well, I would spend time highlighting the main points of the source, and choosing historians to fit those points. I would also spend time, trying to get your arguments together and knowing what you want to write. I would try to spend the same amount of time for each essay but maybe a little bit more for section 1, but only if I know that I would be able to get both essays done.
I actually asked Susie this question a couple of weeks ago, so this was her reply:
I spent roughly 10 minutes planning (not including reading time), and 50 minutes writing! According to my teacher that is about what the markers are expecting, so they'll mark the essay as if it was meant to be done in 50 minutes rather than an hour! The lengths of my essays ranged, but were typically around 1300-1400 word mark :) So usually intro (which were always a bit longer than a modern/ancient intro), 2-3 paragraphs based around historiographical ideas and then my conclusion :)
Hope this helps :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
+3
Both of the above responses are fantastic :) Not much more for me to add, other than, yes definitely give yourself at least 10-15 minutes to analyse and digest the source. I also recommend doing the exam in the order of most comfortable to least comfortable :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!