Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:27:47 am

Author Topic: Year 11 Revision  (Read 10814 times)  Share 

mfjw

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Year 11 Revision
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »
Hi Maths people!

I've attached a question on Geometrical Figures that I've having trouble with. Could anyone please help me?

P.S. Sorry I did forget to attach the question :/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:45:13 pm by mfjw »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:45 pm »
Where's the attachment?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »
Where's the attachment?

Yeah that's what I was asking as well

He's offline at the moment (I also think he forgot to attach it)

Basically geometry is about adding in extra lines (in my opinion) and using certain proofs in order to solve the problem. I feel that sometimes it can get quite difficult

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »
+1
Hi Maths people!

I've attached a question on Geometrical Figures that I've having trouble with. Could anyone please help me?

P.S. Sorry I did forget to attach the question :/

Hi! I can help, it's not too difficult, let's use a bit of algebra (all numbers in degrees):

For the second part, lets label angles ABD and EBC as x, and DBC as y. By looking at the diagram:

Hope this helps!!  ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »
This certainly isnt my specialty, as I dropped yr 11 mathematics due to getting abysmal marks, but could i suggest geogabra? (I think thats how you spell it)
Geogabra is has a very user friendly interface and is extremely useful for seeing how a curve looks and how it changes from when you put an algebraic expression in
Eg x2 vs 2x2 or 3x+2 vs 3x-2. etc etc
Helped me anyway and I hope it helps you!

Available as a desktop application (or program or whatever you want to call it!!), from the appstore and (unconfirmed) google play.
Thanks all and actually knuckle down for Year 11 Maths. I know most of prelim there are subjects which do not use any of the prelim info in hsc. YEAR 11 2U MATHS IS NOT LIKE THAT. If you do not get something, ask for help straight away before you bury yourself in so deep you dont know where to start asking questions, and then nothing makes sense. Sources? Personal experience :( live and learn from other peoples mistakes!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 07:56:48 pm »
This certainly isnt my specialty, as I dropped yr 11 mathematics due to getting abysmal marks, but could i suggest geogabra? (I think thats how you spell it)
Geogabra is has a very user friendly interface and is extremely useful for seeing how a curve looks and how it changes from when you put an algebraic expression in

Available as a desktop application (or program or whatever you want to call it!!), from the appstore and (unconfirmed) google play.
Thanks all and actually knuckle down for Year 11 Maths. I know most of prelim there are subjects which do not use any of the prelim info in hsc. YEAR 11 2U MATHS IS NOT LIKE THAT. If you do not get something, ask for help straight away before you bury yourself in so deep you dont know where to start asking questions, and then nothing makes sense. Sources? Personal experience :( live and learn from other peoples mistakes!
GeoGebra for...Euclidean geometry...?

This isn't coordinate geometry here haha

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »
Oops :D my maths mind is out of touch! Still worth a download for when you do study coordinate geometry for year 11 mathematics as they can ask you anything in the exam..
Thanks ruiace for making me look like a noob

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »
+1
Oops :D my maths mind is out of touch! Still worth a download for when you do study coordinate geometry for year 11 mathematics as they can ask you anything in the exam..
Thanks ruiace for making me look like a noob
Hey who said anything about making you look like a noob here

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 08:12:44 pm »
Lol, noone but this

GeoGebra for...Euclidean geometry...?

This isn't coordinate geometry here haha
Certainly will make sure I stay only in forums i know next time!! ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 08:21:31 pm »
Lol, noone but this
 Certainly will make sure I stay only in forums i know next time!! ;D

Nah all good, we all have different levels of knowledge and skills in different areas, the way we make this forum useful for students is offering all of them. One perspective is great; five is better. Keep at it, even if you're not entirely sure, because even on the slim chance that we need to correct something, you learn something, the questioner learns something, and we get to look awesome, so its a win-win-win really! (Not trying to make you look like a noob btw).
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 08:30:26 pm »
+1
Nah all good, we all have different levels of knowledge and skills in different areas, the way we make this forum useful for students is offering all of them. One perspective is great; five is better. Keep at it, even if you're not entirely sure, because even on the slim chance that we need to correct something, you learn something, the questioner learns something, and we get to look awesome, so its a win-win-win really! (Not trying to make you look like a noob btw).
Haha 'we get to look awesome'. Thanks jake i know youre not trying to make my look like a noob but I may as well have posted about differentation lol there is quite a lot of difference.. Anyway hi all Yr 11 2u math lovers! (and haters :p)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:28 pm »

Can just say that I love GeoGebra and used it frequently throughout Year 11 and 12 (a little more powerful than Macs inbuilt graphing application)  ;D

Also, I have no idea what happened above (perhaps because the prior question was Euclidean Geometry) but coordinate geometry is definitely a Year 11 topic relevant to this thread and Geogebra is one of the most useful ways to learn it ;D  perhaps a miscommunication, all gee honey bees  :-*

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:56 pm »
Euclidean Geometry
I don't remember learning about this in Year 11 so either there was a different name to it or thats one of the reasons i flopped at mathematics (coz i didnt know a major part of the course) ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »
Didn't mean to verbally stab you or anything if I did, sorry

Usually it's called plane geometry

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:11 pm »
Oh ive learned that.. Now i dont have an excuse for frying in my yr 11 yearlies lol  :-[