Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 01:22:08 pm

Author Topic: LSAT score v Distinction Avg  (Read 6202 times)  Share 

insert

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
LSAT score v Distinction Avg
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:01 pm »
My aim is to eventually study law with a Commerce degree. Which would you say is more difficult to obtain, a 170+ LSAT score, so that i can do JD at Melb Uni or obtaining a 75% average in Commerce at Monash, so i can transfer into BCom/LLB

ty

appianway

Re: LSAT score v Distinction Avg
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
An LSAT of 170 is completely unnecessary for Melbourne - 150+ is often enough apparently, and 170 corresponds to roughly the 99th percentile. 75% is definitely a lot easier.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:06 am »
My aim is to eventually study law with a Commerce degree. Which would you say is more difficult to obtain, a 170+ LSAT score, so that i can do JD at Melb Uni or obtaining a 75% average in Commerce at Monash, so i can transfer into BCom/LLB

ty
For the JD at melb uni you need a 75+ GPA minimum anyway. Monash is probably best if you can transfer.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

ComBoy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:51 am »
For the JD at melb uni you need a 75+ GPA minimum anyway. Monash is probably best if you can transfer.

Not sure where you got this requirement, Melbourne doesn't have a GPA minimum. They are looking for well rounded candidates with equal weightings from their GPA, LSAT Score and Personal Statement.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:41 am »
Not sure where you got this requirement, Melbourne doesn't have a GPA minimum. They are looking for well rounded candidates with equal weightings from their GPA, LSAT Score and Personal Statement.

Yes there's no official minimum but it's generally accepted you need a high GPA to be competitive. I doubt they're going to give a JD offer to someone with a 60 GPA.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:52:15 am by chasej »
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32:21 am »
Hey, it's pretty hard to get a 60 GPA on a scale of 1-7 :P

But doesn't a 170 LSAT score put you in good standing for like Harvard?
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

appianway

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:04 am »
I think it's a little below average for Yale, Harvard and Stanford, but it's close.

ComBoy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:27:22 pm »
All very true, I know people who have had LSAT scores of 145-149 but still achieved a CSP in the 2014 JD Course at Melbourne (they had pretty good averages though and amazing personal statements).
I also know students with average grades but got a very good LSAT Score (160+ for Melbourne) and great personal statement and still achieved a CSP :)

Yeah, around 175 is what the Ivy League schools are looking for as well as a lot of extra curricular activities.

appianway

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »
In case anyone will be applying, Ivy League law schools are still mostly about grades and the LSAT (at least according to my friend who got into both Yale and Harvard law schools)!