Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:59:59 pm

Author Topic: O-week was teh awsum  (Read 4066 times)  Share 

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: O-week was teh awsum
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 05:36:28 pm »
*relief* undergrads at unimelb and anu are on par! Hurrah, that means i can start off at unimelb and then swap if necessary.

The colleges sound pretty darn awesome!

Are they intended for just rural & international kids or can us suburbians dying to get out of home live in college too?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 05:46:26 pm »

unimelb. Go to unimelb. Period.
Psssh, UMelb is not nearly as good as ANU. I should know: I've experienced both (and have plenty of friends at UMelb).
How is it better, curiously?
Erm... hard to say how, exactly. I'm a bit biased being a college kid and all, as I'd never have got such an awesome experience living at home in Melbourne. But from my point of view, ANU's courses are more difficult yet more interesting. Plus ANU is a prettier and more managable campus. I mean, at undergraduate level there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between a degree at UMelb, USyd, or ANU; they're all pretty much on par. But I have no doubt that I wouldn't be enjoying uni nearly as much were I at UMelb instead of ANU.

Yeah, colleges ftw. My college at Latrobe is cool, 50% international students, I've got friends from every continent :) Even so, I'm somewhat attracted to your college and Eriny's -there seems to be a lot to do, and I'd enjoy pitting myself against the best and brightest in debates, etc. Do you [and Eriny] have lots of opportunities within your college life to do intellectual/constructive activities? [as well as getting pissed, which is cool as well]
[/quote]
I think it's predominantly getting pissed. Although I like going to Burgmann Forums which is this thing in our college where one of the postgrad residents or visiting scholars make a presentation about the stuff they're researching. In terms of intellectual challenge, there are arts events like inter-hall debating and quizzes and art shows and the Iron Chef competition and so on (I haven't been able to participate in much of that yet, I think it happens mostly next semester). I guess people who learn languages often spend mealtimes together talking in only that language, which would be fun if you knew the language well enough for conversations and also sometimes I hang out in the music room with friends and we jam (the "band" name is the Keatings). Oh, and I spend Monday nights in the TV room, watching ABC and eating gummi bears with others. Although not much TV watching takes place...

This has turned into quite the rant.

*relief* undergrads at unimelb and anu are on par! Hurrah, that means i can start off at unimelb and then swap if necessary.

Are they intended for just rural & international kids or can us suburbians dying to get out of home live in college too?
I'm pretty sure unimelb lets local kids stay at colleges, but if demand for places is anything like it is here, the selectors may preference rural/interstate/international kids.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 06:01:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure unimelb lets local kids stay at colleges, but if demand for places is anything like it is here, the selectors may preference rural/interstate/international kids.
[/quote]

Yeah, some Umelb colleges are known for being packed full of ex-Melbourne Grammarians and the like :P

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:18:50 am »
unimelb. Go to unimelb. Period.
Psssh, UMelb is not nearly as good as ANU. I should know: I've experienced both (and have plenty of friends at UMelb).
How is it better, curiously?
Erm... hard to say how, exactly. I'm a bit biased being a college kid and all, as I'd never have got such an awesome experience living at home in Melbourne. But from my point of view, ANU's courses are more difficult yet more interesting. Plus ANU is a prettier and more managable campus. I mean, at undergraduate level there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between a degree at UMelb, USyd, or ANU; they're all pretty much on par. But I have no doubt that I wouldn't be enjoying uni nearly as much were I at UMelb instead of ANU.

Yeah, colleges ftw. My college at Latrobe is cool, 50% international students, I've got friends from every continent :) Even so, I'm somewhat attracted to your college and Eriny's -there seems to be a lot to do, and I'd enjoy pitting myself against the best and brightest in debates, etc. Do you [and Eriny] have lots of opportunities within your college life to do intellectual/constructive activities? [as well as getting pissed, which is cool as well]
I think it's predominantly getting pissed. Although I like going to Burgmann Forums which is this thing in our college where one of the postgrad residents or visiting scholars make a presentation about the stuff they're researching. In terms of intellectual challenge, there are arts events like inter-hall debating and quizzes and art shows and the Iron Chef competition and so on (I haven't been able to participate in much of that yet, I think it happens mostly next semester). I guess people who learn languages often spend mealtimes together talking in only that language, which would be fun if you knew the language well enough for conversations and also sometimes I hang out in the music room with friends and we jam (the "band" name is the Keatings). Oh, and I spend Monday nights in the TV room, watching ABC and eating gummi bears with others. Although not much TV watching takes place...

This has turned into quite the rant.
Iron Chef got pushed back til next semester. Interhall debating is on next term too. w00t for having an arts rep as a neighbour! (whom i think you know, actually - emma? she's probably in your ARTS1101 class). Bruce Hall also has intrahall debating, which is always hilarious. Plus there's nothing like hanging out with your friends out in the corridor until 4 in the morning. all my friends are still up right now, on reflection. we really don't sleep much  ??? just play a lot of Mario Kart on Wii, lots watch of downloaded tv shows and movies, bum around a lot... not much studying.

but yeah, there's always plenty on, some of it intellectual. then again, there's also a hell of a lot of drinking. a HELL of a lot. good times  8-)

international usually get the nod, because they pay the best in that they're already paying ANU heaps for courses so ANU wants to treat them well by giving them decent accommodation.

some colleges are different to others - Burgmann predominantly takes Arts/Law students, especially from Sydney's north shore (equivalent to Toorak, i guess). so there are a lot of rich snobs. John's takes predominantly mad rugby jocks and skanky girls.

in any case, there are some locals, but they're usually only at college because they live too far out or their family has moved away or something like that.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 05:32:19 pm »

When is O-week at the Uni and colleges?

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »

When is O-week at the Uni and colleges?

Lol bubbles, this thread was 6 months ago :S

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 12:27:25 am »
Think it starts Saturday the 14th of February next year at most colleges. Actual ANU O-week starts on Monday the 16th.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Cthulhu

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
Is it too late to apply to ANU? It probably is... sigh... I can always transfer.... ANU sounds like fun :(

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 03:25:52 pm »
You have to apply through UAC. They might still be accepting very late applications, I don't know, but the fee would be fairly exorbitant.