Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 01:50:30 am

Author Topic: Questions about ANU  (Read 37577 times)  Share 

sweetpea

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Questions about ANU
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2010, 09:23:49 pm »
Hey, I was wondering how hard it would be to do an internal transfer into law/commerce? If I were to do commerce first year (because I didn't reach the law cut-off), would anyone know if my first year of commerce credit could be rolled over to my future double degree, if I were to transfer successfully?
Thanks in advance.  :)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Questions about ANU
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »
This could be a difficult question but Eriny do you know if those studying law have found it easy/difficult to find clerkship or any sort of work experience? Being a small city I imagine there would be limited opportunities and it would probably be difficult to get a summer clerkship in Melbourne.
I can't tell you exact numbers or anything, but a lot of law students do get clerkships, probably as many as students of any other university. I guess the competition is in getting those top tier clerkships (again, I have no idea on numbers). As far as I know, because clerkships are over summer, they'd probably try to get them in their home city, but there are offices of a lot of firms in Canberra, most, if not all, of the big six Australian law firms have Canberra offices. Probably the best place to email with career-related concerns and what to expect after your degree would be the ANU Careers Centre. Their email is: [email protected]

Hey, I was wondering how hard it would be to do an internal transfer into law/commerce? If I were to do commerce first year (because I didn't reach the law cut-off), would anyone know if my first year of commerce credit could be rolled over to my future double degree, if I were to transfer successfully?
Thanks in advance.  :)
Transfers happen relatively regularly at ANU. I think if you have a distinction average, you'd be well placed to transfer into commerce/law, although that's definitely not guaranteed. It is a lot easier to transfer in rather than get the required ATAR. That said, you should probably contact the law school to see if they have any specific policies for transfer. You cannot transfer into a programme unless you've at least done a full-time year though (so you won't be able to transfer until the end of first year). Additionally, if you think your ATAR will be close to what you need, a lot of students take a test and get in through that, the link is available here: http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/admission/admissiontest/index.php
It applies to Law, but for the test to help you, you'd still need an ATAR of around 92 or so.