Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 02:58:28 pm

Author Topic: SACs in High Achieving Classes  (Read 2017 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
SACs in High Achieving Classes
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:26 am »
Hi,

I'm just wondering what would happen if there was only one class for a particular subject (ie. literature) and it was all the best english students doing it, so everyone was getting straight A's/A+'s.
Would a student who is getting lower A's then the rest be disadvantaged and therefore unable to do well in that subject?

Because if it is based on rankings, and everyone is doing really well, wouldn't the person doing the least well be unable to get a high study score?
Or doesn't it work like this if it is an 'intelligent' class?

Thanks.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: SACs in High Achieving Classes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:00:49 am »
My understanding is that if as you say you are in a very high achieving class and ranked toward the bottom, then assuming this class also performed very well in the exam then your SAC scores wouldn't be negatively affected due to the moderation.

Despite being ranked near the bottom, if your class is truly brilliant then it won't matter as much because most of the classes SAC scores will be around the A+ mark after moderation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

TonyHem

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
Well what I thought ~roughly is that if you're ranked 1, your sac marks are moderated to the highest exam mark in that subject. So if your class  all achieve high marks on the exam and you're ranked like last, the lowest exam mark would still be high, so your sacs would probably be around that score. Well thats how I understand it.

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:43:02 pm »
My understanding is that if as you say you are in a very high achieving class and ranked toward the bottom, then assuming this class also performed very well in the exam then your SAC scores wouldn't be negatively affected due to the moderation.

Despite being ranked near the bottom, if your class is truly brilliant then it won't matter as much because most of the classes SAC scores will be around the A+ mark after moderation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It would make sense that an 'intelligent' class performed roughly around the same level ie. between 40-50 SS. Take Melbourne High School for example, almost all their students perform almost 'perfectly' in terms of academic achievements, so if you ranked at the bottom it shouldn't make too much of a difference, as long as you are still getting excellent marks, otherwise there wouldn't be as many people, per subject per school, recieving scores above 40.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »
I know that at my school, a person ranked #15 in the Lit SACs a few years ago got a 50...
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:34:49 pm »
Ah i think i get it now:) Thanks everyone!

I know that at my school, a person ranked #15 in the Lit SACs a few years ago got a 50...
Wow, that's so awesome. Well done to him/her :O
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE