Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:03:47 pm

Author Topic: Double degree help?  (Read 1261 times)  Share 

jimmy22

Double degree help?
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »
Hi,
I am thinking of doing engineering/science at Monash which is 5 years.

I know that to get into Melbourne medicine you need to have a 3 year science or biomed degree.

Since science is 3 years by itself at monash, can i decide to drop the last 2 years of engineering/science, and then apply to melbourne medicine.
(As in will that still give me the science part of the degree?)

I am asking this because i think i want to do engineering, but just incase i change my mind and decide medicine.

Thanks

SenriAkane

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I suck at maths
  • Respect: +26
Re: Double degree help?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:59:21 pm »
Hi,
I am thinking of doing engineering/science at Monash which is 5 years.

I know that to get into Melbourne medicine you need to have a 3 year science or biomed degree.

Since science is 3 years by itself at monash, can i decide to drop the last 2 years of engineering/science, and then apply to melbourne medicine.
(As in will that still give me the science part of the degree?)

I am asking this because i think i want to do engineering, but just incase i change my mind and decide medicine.

Thanks
I would honestly suggest that you do straight sci only if you really want to get into postgrad medicine or Eng/Sci or Eng if you want to do engineering. 
The problem with Eng/Sci different fields of Engineering limits your choices of complementing science majors.

Without overloading, Electrical Engineering only allows you to major in :
Physics
Maths
Computer Science
Biomedical Science
Physiology

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:02:33 pm by SenriAkane »
2011: ESL [39] Chem [42] Physics [40] Spesh [39] Methods [38]
ATAR: 97.35

2012: Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering/Bachelor of Science @ Monash
2013-2018 : Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering/Bachelor of Science/Diploma of Language(Japanese) @ Monash
2013 : Faculty of Science's Dean's List for 2013

I am mostly away all the time but I try to be as helpful as I can.

PM me for any Science/Engineering Enquires.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »
As far as I know, science goes for 4 years. And then you may drop engineering
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

SenriAkane

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I suck at maths
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:33:49 am »
There are also pre-requisites units set by UoM for MD which might not be able to be completed as a part of a major in Eng/Sci without overloading for a few semesters.

2011: ESL [39] Chem [42] Physics [40] Spesh [39] Methods [38]
ATAR: 97.35

2012: Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering/Bachelor of Science @ Monash
2013-2018 : Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering/Bachelor of Science/Diploma of Language(Japanese) @ Monash
2013 : Faculty of Science's Dean's List for 2013

I am mostly away all the time but I try to be as helpful as I can.

PM me for any Science/Engineering Enquires.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:41 pm »
As far as I know, science goes for 4 years. And then you may drop engineering

The guys actually doing this degree will be able to help more but i think the science and engineering are mixed in to a certain degree. So, at some point, it seems you'd end up doing at least a little engineering. I'm not sure why you would want to do this if you intend to drop it anyway, i reckon just go for the straight Bsc then.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »
The guys actually doing this degree will be able to help more but i think the science and engineering are mixed in to a certain degree. So, at some point, it seems you'd end up doing at least a little engineering. I'm not sure why you would want to do this if you intend to drop it anyway, i reckon just go for the straight Bsc then.
You start out doing a majority of science, with some engineering, then have more of the engineering units later on, then by the end of 4th year (well at the time when you have enough to complete the sci part) you have the option of exiting with just the science degree.
http://monash.edu/pubs/handbooks/courses/3278.html
Alternative exit(s)
Students may exit from the double-degree program and graduate with only one of the single degrees providing all requirements for that degree have been met.
A normal science degree is 3 years, from memory you can exit at the end of 4th if you follow a normal course path (don't quote me on that, not 100% certain on it), the extra year comes from the engineering units you do at the start.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.