Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:09:15 am

Author Topic: VCE French preparation tips  (Read 624 times)  Share 

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
VCE French preparation tips
« on: December 15, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
Hi all,

I am wondering how hard it is to achieve a study score of 45 in French and what preparation before VCE should be done.

I am only in Year ten next year and have been doing french for 2 and a half years but I am pretty sure that it will be one of my VCE subjects in Year 12.  I know that it will require a massive amount of work in the senior year, but what about now, while I have heaps of time to spare?

Should I start learning extra vocabulary and doing listening exercises, etc to be more prepared for Years 11&12? If I do do this, how much vocab should I learn over the summer holidays (per week) and does anyone have any courses/resources/books they would recommend to make learning more efficient and more interesting?

Also what is the best way to make sure vocabulary sticks in my long term memory? Should I be focusing more on vocab now or stringing sentences together with correct verb conjugations, etc?

Thanks  :)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: VCE French preparation tips
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:05:27 am »
+2

Hi all,

I am wondering how hard it is to achieve a study score of 45 in French and what preparation before VCE should be done.

I am only in Year ten next year and have been doing french for 2 and a half years but I am pretty sure that it will be one of my VCE subjects in Year 12.  I know that it will require a massive amount of work in the senior year, but what about now, while I have heaps of time to spare?

Should I start learning extra vocabulary and doing listening exercises, etc to be more prepared for Years 11&12? If I do do this, how much vocab should I learn over the summer holidays (per week) and does anyone have any courses/resources/books they would recommend to make learning more efficient and more interesting?

Also what is the best way to make sure vocabulary sticks in my long term memory? Should I be focusing more on vocab now or stringing sentences together with correct verb conjugations, etc?

Thanks  :)

It’s extremely hard, but don’t let that deter you from aiming for it.
As with any language, it’s a skill to be developed, not a subject to be learned. Try to incorporate as much French into your life as possible. Listen to French music. Watch French films. Turn your phone into French. Ban yourself from speaking English with friends who can speak French or in class.

All of these things that actually force you to use French and you’d use English are far more important than perusing grammar books and learning lists of vocab. This is the way you’ve learned English, and judging by your post that seems to have gone pretty well—so why not use the same techniques for French?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd