Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 07:14:11 am

Author Topic: Practicing close analysis  (Read 5839 times)  Share 

honey-corowa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Some Public School
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Practicing close analysis
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »
Hello fellow literature students.

I'm in year 11, so this idea of passage analysis is new to me. I've been told that by nature it is fluid and not structured as such, but would anyone be able to provide a plan or vague description of how they decide what to put in each paragraph etc? All help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
2012: Psych (37)
2013: English Literature Legal Business MUEP: Criminal Justice

Personal Message me, I love everyone.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »
EZ's Guide to Succeeding in VCE Literature

Read the bit about Close Analysis.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:09 pm »
Can someone please help me with this following:

Emma’s disparaging comment that a match between Jane and Knightley would be a ‘very shameful and degrading connection’ on Knightley’s behalf, which is in contrast to Mrs. Weston’s relatively placid tone when also admitting it to be a ‘bad connexion’ as seen by the juxtaposition between ‘very shameful and degrading’ against ‘bad’, allows Austen to use Emma’s condemning tone to paradoxically condemn Emma herself.
Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to give what you posted much more than a cursory glance, but for what it's worth I think this opening sentence is a bit too long and cluttered; I had to reread it more than once to try and understand what you were saying, and that's definitely not ideal as a beginning to an analysis. Looking at the essay compilation thread, the maximum word count in an opening sentence (out of the several I read) was 40, so I'd recommend you make your opening sentences a bit more concise. Also, I notice that quite a few of your other sentences arguably have too many descriptors in one sentence - perhaps you should vary your sentence length a bit, so that your message is more effective.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

bluehorizon

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »
well thanks for taking the time to read my stuff and reply, makes me feel special

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »
well thanks for taking the time to read my stuff and reply, makes me feel special
Well if this is sarcasm, I figured in the end I'd leave the rest to people who are actually experts with this subject.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 05:14:15 pm »
Great way to get people to help you.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️