Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 09:52:38 am

Author Topic: exam styled response  (Read 5443 times)  Share 

spontaneouscombustion

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
exam styled response
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:30:31 pm »

Literature veterans (and current literature students), I really need your help...

It is getting close to the exam, but I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Of course, I have a vague idea, but our teacher isn't very good at teaching (IF he even turns up to class...) and he never explained what 'close analysis' was. When we get the passages, what are we supposed to do? I mean, what are we supposed to focus on? Do we develop a thematic discussion or analyse the language used by the author? And what essay structure do you usually use? Also, our teacher never talked about techniques used in poems and novels (eg enjambment, iambic pentameter, tone etc) and when I downloaded assessment reports and read the student examples I was like, 'what the?? We were never taught this!'

If possible, can someone please post up an essay they have written, just so I can have a bit of idea what to do? Please? I really am getting frustrated because of our not-so-good teacher and no one in my class really knows what to do either....

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter. –Dave Barry

2008: Music Performance Solo 44
2009: English 50, Biology 45, Literature 42, Revs 40, Further 38 (ahahahahaha stupid score xD)
ENTER - 99.05
2010: Bachelor of Arts Law @ Monash

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: exam styled response
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »
Yes, I feel your pain.
We have the same problem in my class.
I have one or two, but I'm not sure if they will help you considering I'm sketchy on my own technique.
What texts are you doing?
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

spontaneouscombustion

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:38 am »

For the exam I am doing 'Tenant of Wildfell Hall' and John Donne poetry. We also did 'Honor' and 'Stasiland'. But feel free to please post up essays from any text; I just want to see how others approach the task

Thank you mavisgibbons!
Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter. –Dave Barry

2009: English 50, Biology 45, Literature 42, Revs 40, Further 38 (ahahahahaha stupid score xD)
ENTER - 99.05

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »
I have an example in the 'notes' section of this site.

Basically, you come up with something you want to say about the whole book/collection of poetry, based on the three passages you are given. The three passages act as a resource to give you evidence for your argument. Pay close attention to the use of language as well as the content of the story you are given.

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Facebook-free since September
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:01:29 pm »
Yes, I feel your pain.
I have one or two, but I'm not sure if they will help you considering I'm sketchy on my own technique.

Hey Mavis, just wondering what passages you did your analyses on, because it is a beautifully written response.
2008: Biology
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies

olivia

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:56 pm »
hi. I was wondering if anyone was doing Hedda Gabler/ Harwood poetry for the exam. and if anyone knew where i could get sample responses for them? thanks :)

iamdan08

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • VCE Survivor
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:42:56 pm »
It is really important that you stick to the passages given, if you start straying to much from them, it appears that you are simply rewriting a pre-prepared response, and you will not score well.

Discuss things such as the use of language and the images created by the authors choice of words (especially for poetry). I suggest if you are going to mention literary techniques in your poetry analysis don't say something like "Donne uses iambic pentameter" but rather explain why he has used it and what effect it has on the given extract. Does it force the reader to read at a certain pace to create effect and imagery?

As for structure, read a few of the examples to get an idea and then come up with something that suits you. There is no defined structure and as long as what you are writing makes sense and reads well and your ideas are placed logically, there shouldn't be a problem.

2007-08 VCE - Accounting, Texts & Traditions, Methods, Chem, Physics, Lit

2011 Bachelor of Biomedicine (Completed) @ The University of Melbourne
2012 Doctor of Medicine (Second Year) @ The University of Melbourne

spontaneouscombustion

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:14:43 pm »
Thank you Eriny and iamdan08!  :)

ENTER - 99.05

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 01:25:49 am »
Yes, I feel your pain.

Hey Mavis, just wondering what passages you did your analyses on, because it is a beautifully written response.

Oh thankyou!  Eeep!  I'll try to remember.
Well, the first one was based on the passages in last year's exam.
And the second...I have no idea.
If I come across the passages in my folder at some point tomorrow, I'll try to let you know.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Facebook-free since September
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:30 pm »
Yes, I feel your pain.

Thank you! :)

Oh thankyou!  Eeep!  I'll try to remember.
Well, the first one was based on the passages in last year's exam.
And the second...I have no idea.
If I come across the passages in my folder at some point tomorrow, I'll try to let you know.
2008: Biology
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies

Saraime2003

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 03:25:52 pm »
My teacher has no idea what she is doing either. Well, i ahve no idea what she is doing. I dont understand Literature and i can't do it. I only did the subject because the teacher said if i was good at English i should try Literature. So i did. And i hate it. I can't do these stupid extracts and im trying to do my final SAC and i can't because the sample she gave us is useless, all over the place. Does anyone have a basic structured approach about what to address?

My SAC is on Chekhov's play, 'Three Sisters'. I'm up to my 3rd Paragraph, trying to talk about Language and Dialogue but i dont have a clue what to write. Please help. :(.

Aimee

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 04:58:14 pm »
slightly off topic..sorry, but i didn't want to make a new thread!!
since with like every other subject there are study guides (checkpoints, A+ notesbook, ect) is there one of these for literature which helps with developing a response required for the exam? (or also guides with the sacs and stuff as well) containing some sort of guide to the structure required & things not to do/ must have?
if anyone could let me know of one, it'd be quite helpful for next year thanks :)

edit; i don't know how i missed checkpoints for lit but i just found it. hehe, regardless, what is the best study guide to use? or is checkpoints the only one ><?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:08:41 pm by vexx »
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:56 pm »
I think there is a checkpoints for literature and it's not too bad if you can find it.

spontaneouscombustion

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
I found checkpoints to be not much help. It just didn't seem very...relevant.

ENTER - 99.05