Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:09:39 am

Author Topic: Garcia and Koelling  (Read 4123 times)  Share 

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Garcia and Koelling
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 04:33:37 pm »
Sure! I love that one!  ;)

Preconditioning stage:
ALL rats were presented with saccharin water to drink, which activated clicking noises and flashing lights. They still drank the water.

Conditioning phase:
Condition one: Rats presented with saccharin water, clicking, lights and an ELECTRIC SHOCK.
Condition two: Rats presented with saccharin water, clicking, lights and radiation that was intended to make them sick 30 min later.

Test phase:
There was plain water with the clicks and lights. There was saccharin all by itself.
Condition one rats: Would NOT drink the plain water (they associated clicks and lights with pain) but they would drink saccharin water.
Condition two rats: Would drink the plain water but would NOT drink the saccharin water because they had developed a taste aversion.

Sorry but I'm still confused abut it! Why wouldn't the condition 2 rats form a taste aversion to the plain water, if it was presented with the clicks and lights, wouldn't they expect the radiation as well?
TASTE aversion, remember? They have associated the sickness with the taste of the sweet water.
So they do this to foster survival; they associate tastes with illness but not shock, and they tend to associate audiovisual events with shock rather than illness as it is more likely that they will be linked in that way? I think that's right but I need to check as it seems I will never feel 100% confident with this experiment.  :P
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Felicity Wishes

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:07 pm »
+1
Sure! I love that one!  ;)

Preconditioning stage:
ALL rats were presented with saccharin water to drink, which activated clicking noises and flashing lights. They still drank the water.

Conditioning phase:
Condition one: Rats presented with saccharin water, clicking, lights and an ELECTRIC SHOCK.
Condition two: Rats presented with saccharin water, clicking, lights and radiation that was intended to make them sick 30 min later.

Test phase:
There was plain water with the clicks and lights. There was saccharin all by itself.
Condition one rats: Would NOT drink the plain water (they associated clicks and lights with pain) but they would drink saccharin water.
Condition two rats: Would drink the plain water but would NOT drink the saccharin water because they had developed a taste aversion.

Sorry but I'm still confused abut it! Why wouldn't the condition 2 rats form a taste aversion to the plain water, if it was presented with the clicks and lights, wouldn't they expect the radiation as well?
TASTE aversion, remember? They have associated the sickness with the taste of the sweet water.
So they do this to foster survival; they associate tastes with illness but not shock, and they tend to associate audiovisual events with shock rather than illness as it is more likely that they will be linked in that way? I think that's right but I need to check as it seems I will never feel 100% confident with this experiment.  :P
Correct.  :)
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Hannah_Banana

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »
FINALLY GET THIS EXPERIMENT!!

Ergh, I used to get so confused by it with all the different conditions! Still wouldn't want it to be on Section C
ATAR: 87.30
English (37), Legal Studies (38), Further Maths (32), Psychology (43), Revolutions (34) and Studio Arts (38)

2013: Arts at the University of Melbourne and eventually doing a post-grad in law

Felicity Wishes

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
FINALLY GET THIS EXPERIMENT!!

Ergh, I used to get so confused by it with all the different conditions! Still wouldn't want it to be on Section C
I'm glad you get it now!
I understand. It took me a while to grasp it.  ::)
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)