Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:52:54 pm

Author Topic: Is it bad to sleep at abnormal times?  (Read 2337 times)  Share 

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Is it bad to sleep at abnormal times?
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:39:02 pm »
Is it bad for someone to sleep in the evening eg. after school 6pm-3am and then study from 3-7pm (until schools starts). THinking about doing this as studying in the evening poses too many distractions. Good/bad idea?   :D suggestions from psych students?
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

Keki

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: -1
Re: Is it bad to sleep at abnormal times?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:36 pm »
Study before you sleep, as your brain <forgot the word> the information and remembers it :)
2011: English, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Further Math
2015: Gosu starcraft 2 zerg player :-)

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:25 pm »
consolidates

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720

This is really cool if anyone's interested.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

iNerd

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 02:19:48 pm »

Interesting but please don't attempt it.

There's a reason NREM occurs 80% of the time and REM occurs 20%...obviously because NREM is more important.

Stick to normality please....PM me if you want NREM-deprivation effects.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »
I wouldn't study 3-7am, mostly because you'll then have to go into a full day of school. So at 3pm you'll feel as if it's 7pm and your body won't appreciate being asked to keep going for another few hours.

Also, it's kinda hard to get used to studying at those times and sleeping at the other times because of the amount of light you'll have. I'd stop short of calling it bad for you, but I don't think there are many benefits

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »

There's a reason NREM occurs 80% of the time and REM occurs 20%...obviously because NREM is more important.

actually its not fully known the functions of each part of sleep, but studies have shown REM to be more important which is why sleeping longer is better.. as most NREM occurs earlier, and REM occurs later (periods of REM increase over the night).. so we need more sleep not less for us to be most well rested mentally and physically (ie: more REM benefits)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
whats REM
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »
Rapid Eye Movement: Thats all I know
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »
whats REM

rapid eye movement sleep, it is where dreams occur and our brain waves are similar to those of being awake.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »
so REM is basically when we sleep yes?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:03:30 pm by PhilDunphy »

iNerd

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »

actually its not fully known the functions of each part of sleep, but studies have shown REM to be more important which is why sleeping longer is better.. as most NREM occurs earlier, and REM occurs later (periods of REM increase over the night).. so we need more sleep not less for us to be most well rested mentally and physically (ie: more REM benefits)
Mentally and physically can't both be REM? :S

Physically = NREM
Mentally = REM

What is the point of being mentally awesome if you're so tired you can't walk? :S

I still think there has to be a reason why NREM occurs 80% of the time...but yes I was guessing :P

iNerd

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »
so REM is basically when we sleep yes?
Lol whut? We sleep and enter NREM (non rapid eye movement) and we stay in that via 4 stages than switch to REM sleep. Overall we have 80% NREM sleep and 20% REM sleep.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 03:24:18 pm »
I still think there has to be a reason why NREM occurs 80% of the time...but yes I was guessing

It's less efficient from memory

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
The uberman sleep cycle has been known to be beneficial to the sleeper for about 5 months, and then they crash and sleep for 3 days.

Of course, getting INTO the uberman psychle is hard enough as it is.

Then you can do it all over again. Several stories all over the internet. Do not quote Psychological theory if you do not look at the research to accompany it...
2013: Wizardry, life.