Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:35:38 pm

Author Topic: Need help with SAC/Exam prep.  (Read 3553 times)  Share 

Moe112

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
  • School: John Fawkner College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Need help with SAC/Exam prep.
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »
Hi everyone :),

So as the title states I need some help with preparing for SAC's and the upcoming mid-terms. So we have completed two SAC's so far I managed to score an A+ on both, the problem is that being my first 3/4 subject I'm worried that my revision skills aren't good enough to get me through the rest of the year, and that I got lucky.

The only form of revision I have done before either SAC was to add a bunch of key terms from the text book to my glossary book for easy reference and complete some questions from the text book. So my question is what are some sure fire revision techniques for SAC's and Exams?

Sorry if my question is in the wrong place or if it's stupid, and I know that practise exams are probably the way to go
but any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
2011: Psychology (37)
2012: English (30+) Methods (30+) Physics (30+) Biology (30+) Further (35+)

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Need help with SAC/Exam prep.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
Know every dot point of the study design back to front, and base your revision around that; also there's quite a few case studies (like phineas gage, etc) so just understand those well because it could help you write a better answer for the potential essay question in section C. Know research methods well; not in extreme detail like the other chapters, but just know the basics at least, because they are examinable. Other than that, just link back everything you learn to what you already know, try to make some concepts relatable to yourself (like memory and sleep) so you remember them better. And if you want, use mindmaps to make links between various concepts. And do a good amount of practice exams :)
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

Moe112

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:18:36 pm »
Thanks bud, I didn't even take into account the case studies as revision material and I the mind map idea is a goodie I'll have to start working on that soon. Also are there any practice exams that you could recommend? I've done 1 or 2 so far but they were really basic.

Edit: Sorry guys theres another thing I wanted to know, where abouts is everyone in terms of topics? (Eg: Just started/finished memory/learning).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:03:55 pm by Moe112 »

Sarah95

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »
I need help in preparing for the mid year i have trouble concentrating i cant just sit down and study psychology i'v done the answers for the dot points but my biggest problem is learning them the material is not hard but the amount puts me off...
So can some one please help me find a good technique in learning them?
2011-psychology
2012-English/Chem/Methods(CAS)/Business Management.

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »
well my class are doing memory and i think we've almost finished it...just gotta finish presenting our memory presentation SACs to the class i'm pretty sure.
Bleh.

Dr.Lecter

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »
Certainly do the past exams even if it is the old study design - you can do about 2/3 of a past exam paper
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Moe112

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:03 pm »
I need help in preparing for the mid year i have trouble concentrating i cant just sit down and study psychology i'v done the answers for the dot points but my biggest problem is learning them the material is not hard but the amount puts me off...
So can some one please help me find a good technique in learning them?

To be honest I just put my head down and do it, just remember that almost everything you learn this year will some how link to each other so just make the link and you should be alright. Good luck with it :).

well my class are doing memory and i think we've almost finished it...just gotta finish presenting our memory presentation SACs to the class i'm pretty sure.

Yeah were about the same, I was just worried we were behind.

Certainly do the past exams even if it is the old study design - you can do about 2/3 of a past exam paper

I figured with the new study design the old papers would just be a waste, but if you think we could do at least 2/3 of it then I guess I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:47:31 pm by Moe112 »

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:17 pm »
Btw, UNIT 4 practice papers from the last study design will have memory as one of the sections so 1/3 of it will be useful to our mid year.

P.S.-Anybody have recommendations on good psych 3&4 text books? Just asking because the psych text books tend to have minor differences.
Such as the duration of short-term memory. One had 18 seconds and another had 16-20 seconds.
However, on the practice exam I did, the answers stated 12-16 seconds!! :tickedoff:
So yeah...    :-\
Bleh.

iNerd

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »
The best book is Grivas as most of the state uses it.

As for STM stick with 18-20s.

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:24:45 am »
The duration of short term memory needs to be checked due to it says anything from 18 to 30 seconds in a range of textbooks, but I'm unsure to whether I should say 18 to 30 or 20-30. Could someone correct this or is certain beliefs on shortm memory related to specific models of memory?
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

iNerd

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:38 am »
Err I think I just said 18-20...

30 is THE MAXIMUM, 18-20 is the most common, average duration. It will be accepted as correct.

Moe112

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:03:11 am »
Atar is right, I believe average is 18-20 seconds and with rehearsal it can be up to 30 seconds.

iNerd

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:40 am »
Atar is right, I believe average is 18-20 seconds and with rehearsal it can be up to 30 seconds.
Err, with rehearsal it can be held up for an infinite amount of time.

Guys seriously it's not that hard. 18-20s.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:34:26 am by ATAR »

Sarah95

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:43:20 am »
theres this one bit that confuses me like crazy, amplitude and frequency thing. How do you know whether its high/low frequency or high/low amplitude? I've been doing practice questions on that and i keep getting it wrong if not i guess my way through those questions.
2011-psychology
2012-English/Chem/Methods(CAS)/Business Management.

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 02:29:00 pm »
theres this one bit that confuses me like crazy, amplitude and frequency thing. How do you know whether its high/low frequency or high/low amplitude? I've been doing practice questions on that and i keep getting it wrong if not i guess my way through those questions.

I'm assuming this is to do with brainwave patterns...I'm sure your textbook should have it and a diagram of the brainwaves.
Simply stated, amplitude refers to the how high the waves go up and down.
Frequency is how fast it occurs or repeats...so if it is high frequency means there are alot of brain waves per second...
blarggrh i suck at explaining
Bleh.