Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 06:13:05 pm

Author Topic: Biology Practice Questions  (Read 1526 times)  Share 

a212345

Biology Practice Questions
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:15 pm »
Hi all,
I need a bit of help with the following questions, Ive answered some on another word document but feel my answers aren't that good.
So I'm after a bit of help  :)

What is an enzyme?

How are enzymes named? How does the name of an enzyme relate to the substrate or product?
Why are enzymes important to cells and organisms?
What is the role of enzymes in biochemical pathways?
What would happen to a biochemical pathway if an enzyme was absent or failed to work adequately?
Describe the mechanisms by which enzymes work – lock and key / induced fit
What is the active site of an enzyme? What determines the active site?
Why is the active site important?
Why are enzymes specific to their substrate?
What is the binding site of a substrate?
What is the enzyme – substrate complex?
How are enzymes affected by heat and by cold temperatures?
What is meant by the term “denaturation” of an enzyme?
Is denaturation permanent?
How is the rate of reaction affected by:
- substrate concentration
- enzyme concentration

You don't have to do all, these are just some I need a bit of help with structuring the answers
Thankyou so much  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biology Practice Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:29:18 pm »
+1
I'm sure heaps of people would be happy to but in order help with structuring your answers it would be super useful if you posted your answers so we actually know how your phrased them and can critique them appropriately.

a212345

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:45:06 pm »
I'm sure heaps of people would be happy to but in order help with structuring your answers it would be super useful if you posted your answers so we actually know how your phrased them and can critique them appropriately.

I just went to attach my answers to this post and closed the word document without saving them  :-\
will have to do it again, my mistake.
But yes that is a good idea, I should of done that in the first place, thank you so much for your help.  :)

Robot10

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:35 pm »
Here are the answers to most of your questions.i can do the answers for other half tomorrow and post if you want,

An enzyme is a biological protein catalyst that speeds up a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required.

Enzymes are named after the substrate that they catalyse and the General way of naming them involves the substrate, or part of the substrate+ase. The name of an enzyme relates to the substrate or product by incorporating them in the enzyme’s name followed by ase.

Enzymes are important to cells and organisms as without them, biochemical reactions would occur too slowly to sustain life

If an enzyme in a biochemical pathway was absent or malfunctioned, then the progresssion of the biochemical pathway would be prevented, hence preventing the end product from being synthesised

The lock and key model of enzyme action suggests that enzymes are perfectly complementary in shape to the substrate molecule and the substrate fits into the enzyme, much like in the same way as a key fitting into a lock.

The induced fit hypothesis suggests that the substrate molecule is largely complementary to the enzyme, but not perfectly and so once the substrate molecule has binded to the active site of the enzyme, the enzyme’s active site changes to induce or achieve a tighter fit.

The active site is the three dimensional pocket-like groove in an enzyme to which the substrate molecule binds.

The active site’s shape is determined by the bonding in the secondary, tertiary and quarternary structure of an enzyme and the presence of R groups.

The active site is important as without it, the substrate molecule would not be able to bind to the enzyme and so catalysis of the reaction would not occur.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:56:54 pm by Robot10 »

a212345

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:18:44 pm »
Here are the answers to most of your questions.i can do the answers for other half tomorrow and post if you want,

An enzyme is a biological protein catalyst that speeds up a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required.

Enzymes are named after the substrate that they catalyse and the General way of naming them involves the substrate, or part of the substrate+ase. The name of an enzyme relates to the substrate or product by incorporating them in the enzyme’s name followed by ase.

Enzymes are important to cells and organisms as without them, biochemical reactions would occur too slowly to sustain life

If an enzyme in a biochemical pathway was absent or malfunctioned, then the progresssion of the biochemical pathway would be prevented, hence preventing the end product from being synthesised

The lock and key model of enzyme action suggests that enzymes are perfectly complementary in shape to the substrate molecule and the substrate fits into the enzyme, much like in the same way as a key fitting into a lock.

The induced fit hypothesis suggests that the substrate molecule is largely complementary to the enzyme, but not perfectly and so once the substrate molecule has binded to the active site of the enzyme, the enzyme’s active site changes to induce or achieve a tighter fit.

The active site is the three dimensional pocket-like groove in an enzyme to which the substrate molecule binds.

The active site’s shape is determined by the bonding in the secondary, tertiary and quarternary structure of an enzyme and the presence of R groups.

The active site is important as without it, the substrate molecule would not be able to bind to the enzyme and so catalysis of the reaction would not occur.

Also have you got any biology practise Sacs, Tests or area of study revision that you could share.Please PM thanks

You are an absolute legend, Thankyou so much for your help  :)

And I will have a look now for some study revision