Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 06:57:37 am

Author Topic: Psychology course  (Read 2220 times)  Share 

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Psychology course
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:28:53 am »
I'd love to study Psych at La Trobe, but I'm not very good at maths. I did take VCE Psych and loved it, I'm just worried that if there is a maths component that it will affect my marks.

Is this lack of maths skill an issue for this course?

Thanks!
2012: Psychology
2013: Media, English, Legal Studies, Business Management, Food Tech

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Psychology course
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »
+1
Hey! (For reference, I am at La Trobe currently).

For psychology, this would be influenced by whether you'd do either Psychological Science or Psychology as a major through Arts/Science.

For the Bachelor of Psychological Science, there is a core statistics subject in Semester 2, Year 1 which you need to take.

Hopefully this link will be more of a help to you (depending on the campus you want to attend), you can click the links accordingly to view the handbook @ http://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/psychology
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:25:24 pm by Aaronn »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:49 pm »
Hi there!

My best friend studies psych at La Trobe so I'm quite familiar with the course. I've actually been to a few of the lectures during my breaks. Very interesting stuff :)

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/handbook//2013/undergraduate/science-tech/single-degrees/sbbs.htm Course handbook (outlines all the core and elective subjects)

Basically there's two stat subjects you need to complete. In first year 'Statistics for psychology' (taught out of the stats department) and 'Psychological research methods' in second year (taught out of the psych department but don't be deceived).

If you attend lectures and tutes you'll have nothing to worry about. Most psych kids are in the same boat - they all dread stats. But it all turns out fine for them in the end :)

Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

mizz_sara

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:31:11 pm »
Hi there!
I'm in the same boat as you!
I really want to study psychology (considering deakin uni) but dont want that "maths side" of it. I've talked to a representative about it, he said- yes there is maths involved (but not heaps!) and its statistics, they said as long as you get the hang of it at the start, you'll will be fine! My advice is don't let it stop and and when it comes to those units, try your best & ask for plenty of help!

Good luck! :)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:50 pm »
+1
I really want to study psychology (considering deakin uni) but dont want that "maths side" of it. I've talked to a representative about it, he said- yes there is maths involved (but not heaps!) and its statistics, they said as long as you get the hang of it at the start, you'll will be fine! My advice is don't let it stop and and when it comes to those units, try your best & ask for plenty of help!

I'm just going to jump in here with a bit of reassurance :P

I was speaking to a friend currently doing a PhD in psychology - the statistics side of things isn't a problem if you find maths tricky. The most difficult things you'll encounter are generally confidence intervals and various hypothesis testing methods, which aren't particularly tough.

All the really complicated mathematical stuff is done through data-processing statistical programs such as SPSS, so the main thing is to input and interpret results rather than actually manually perform mathematical processes.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »
Hi there!
I'm in the same boat as you!

Good luck! :)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Thanks heaps for your reply, I feel better about it now! :)
2012: Psychology
2013: Media, English, Legal Studies, Business Management, Food Tech