Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 12:39:13 am

Author Topic: Let's reflect on trials.  (Read 8187 times)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
Re: Let's reflect on trials.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »
+1
You sure can! Remember that your internal marks aren't as important as you may think - This guide explains how it all works ;D
I just want to say that I'm not at all embarrassed by my marks because I tried my absolute best and although I wish I could do better, this is what it is. So these are my calculated overall subject marks:
English - 53
Mathematics - 36
Biology - 65
Business Studies - 62
Legal Studies - 56

I'm aiming for an ATAR of at least 55 to just get me into uni, I want to do business and have gotten an early offer at ACU which requires a 55 ATAR and a pass in English. Thanks.
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »
+4
I just want to say that I'm not at all embarrassed by my marks because I tried my absolute best and although I wish I could do better, this is what it is. So these are my calculated overall subject marks:
English - 53
Mathematics - 36
Biology - 65
Business Studies - 62
Legal Studies - 56

I'm aiming for an ATAR of at least 55 to just get me into uni, I want to do business and have gotten an early offer at ACU which requires a 55 ATAR and a pass in English. Thanks.

Awesome attitude to have - Everyone is running their own race ;D

So the issue is that your marks are all below the average for that subject. What that means is that, by definition, you are going to have an aggregate score significantly lower than the majority of the state (that's just the mathematics of it). With these marks as they are, an ATAR of 55 is unlikely. This might seem weird because most of your marks are over 55, but this is how it works.

Can you get a 55 ATAR? Absolutely. You just really need to push super hard and smash your HSC exams, because those results will need to be as strong as possible to bring your results higher to try and crack that 55 ATAR mark ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:57 pm »
BUMP! :)

As Trials wind down for 2018, how are you all feeling? How do you think you've performed? Will you change anything for the HSC?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 05:00:46 pm »
+1
Pretty good, got English and Legal back today and my marks have significantly exceeded my expectations. However, everyone is literally telling me how horrible my handwriting is - my English teacher told me I may as well have written my essay in another language lol, so I need to sort this out before HSC for sure. It was so bad that I had to read out my creative and Mod C for the marker today lol. Coming forward, I think I need to stop overquoting in my english essays because it is evidently coming at the expense of the legibility of my response - which is not good.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 06:44:53 pm »
Pretty good, got English and Legal back today and my marks have significantly exceeded my expectations. However, everyone is literally telling me how horrible my handwriting is - my English teacher told me I may as well have written my essay in another language lol, so I need to sort this out before HSC for sure. It was so bad that I had to read out my creative and Mod C for the marker today lol. Coming forward, I think I need to stop overquoting in my english essays because it is evidently coming at the expense of the legibility of my response - which is not good.

Well done on strong results!! Here is some advice on handwriting and stuff ;D in terms of issues you could potentially have had to deal with post-trials, handwriting is a pretty good one to have gotten! ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
Ahhh first day back at school today since finishing my trials yesterday!

The day definitely felt super long and I think my lack of sleep over the last 3 weeks has finally reached its epitome.

I did get maths back today. I was kind disappointed even though I still got 90. I think I was lowkey dissapointed because all of my other 3 maths assessment tasks I got straight 95s. Do you think that is a good mark considering it’s the trials and considering I had Paper 1, Paper 2, Legal and then Maths consecutively?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:34:57 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:31 pm »
Ahhh first day back at school tomorrow since finishing my trials yesterday!

The day definitely felt super long and I think my lack of sleep over third last 3 weeks has finally reached its epitome.

I did get maths back today. I was kind disappointed even though I still got 90. I think I was lowkey dissapointed because all of my other 3 assessment tasks I got straight 95s. Do you think that is a good mark considering it’s the trials and considering I had Paper 1, Paper 2, Legal and then Maths consecutively?

Not just good, incredible!! To be on straight 90+ for most (potentially all?) of your subjects at Trials is insanely good ;D well done!

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:21 pm »
+1
I was happy with all my results (I was pleasantly surprised for some exams :)), however there are some things I would like to improve for HSC (which I know I will be able to!). My main issue was time management (for extension 1 maths, chemistry, geography and of course english) so I think I need to practice doing some past exams under timed conditions. I also found english paper 2 really hard because I've never had to write 3 essays in a row before, and the mod B question threw me.
It's amazing that I will never sit another exam set by my school though!!!
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:32 am »
Failed all subjects. Trying to do more past papers etc.

Senior Science: 64/100
CAFS: 64/100
SOR II: 48/85
IDT: 15/
ENG STANDARD-
P1: 10/15, 9/15, 12/15
P2: 9/15, 8/15, 12/15
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Information Digital and Technology
Community and Family Studies
Senior Science

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 08:56:58 pm »
+2
My marks were:
English 80%
2u 94% (1st)
3u 92% (4th)
Chem 84% (4th)
Earth 93% (1st)
Geo 91% (1st)
Overall I was super happy, however a little disappointed with english as it wasn't what I wanted, the creative really got me (8/15 compared to 18/20 in mod A and C). In the HSC I'm really hoping to improve english and chem, and get geo and earth up to 95. Gotta focus on planning answers and including all the detail necessary to answer the question fully. I'm also a bit worried about my handwriting in english as my comprehension section has to be transcribed
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2