Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:41:10 am

Author Topic: Invictus + Ransom - Please help!!!  (Read 752 times)  Share 

Amelia.Phillips

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Invictus + Ransom - Please help!!!
« on: August 28, 2019, 10:18:03 am »
Hey, so I got the prompt for my English Learning Outcome and I am unsure how to tackle the part of the prompt that refers to the 'construction':

Both texts explore how leaders respond in times of crisis. How are the texts constructed to provide insights into effective leadership?

Some ideas for construction I have so far are:
- Jove's eagle (demonstrating how Priam acts in an unorthodox way but gains new insight into life, therefore effective leadership)
- Malouf describing Priam as an "obedient toddler" to reflect him trying new experiences
- Eastwood's use of camera and sound to represent Mandela as powerful and symbolic
- The juxtaposition between Priam and Achilles at the start of Ransom (illustrating how one leader, Achilles, is not upholding the morals and values of the Greek camp, and the other leader, Priam, who is determined to do something new that changes others, therefore more effective)
- Eastwood employing multiple parallel stories to show the transformation of different characters under Mandela's leadership --> Jason, Pienaar
- Malouf and storytelling --> Somax

I don't know if these are considered construction devices. If they are not, PLEASE help me. If they are, do they support my prompt????

Thank you :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:51:37 am by Amelia.Phillips »

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Re: Invictus + Ransom - Please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:00:40 pm »
This is quite a hard prompt actually.
For me, I think construction may be the plot line whether it is linear or agile; symbolism and the point in the story they appear; like all the scaffolding of the stories.
For invictus you can say effective leadership requires understanding of others and hardship. Eastwood coneys this through the agile timeline where Pineaar visits Mandela's prison cell and is exposed to his past troubles. This moulded Mandela into an effective leader of the country whilst Pineaar successfully led the Springboks.

For ransom I think your point of the two stories at the beginning was quite good.
I think your ideas are pretty spot on if my perception of construction is correct.

Yeah  good luck (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb