Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:18:29 pm

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 84521 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:51 pm »
+1
Hey, everyone!

Concerned Music 2 student here. I was looking at some timetables from past year and the aural/musicology exam for both Music subjects seem to fall on the same day as the English papers  :'( Although we don't definitively know until the 2nd of May, if a clash like this occurs, any tips for how to manage both?

Hey! Unfortunately, this wasn't a one off, they have done this every year for a loooong time. So it's pretty likely.

We wrote this guide during the exams, it might be helpful! But you shouldn't worry about this yet, way too far away!! ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2018, 09:59:59 am »
Hey! Unfortunately, this wasn't a one off, they have done this every year for a loooong time. So it's pretty likely.

We wrote this guide during the exams, it might be helpful! But you shouldn't worry about this yet, way too far away!! ;D

Hey, Jamon!

Had a read and it's fantastic  :) Lessened my unexpected stress moment  ;D I really hope that they don't do this to us this year because I really am not up for another exam straight after English  :( :( Thank you anyway!

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Damo13323

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2018, 01:58:43 pm »
Hey!
I'm doing two vivas for music 1, and already sorted my first topic (The themes of Love, Gravity and time in the Interstellar soundtrack), but for my second topic, I'm not sure what I should do, I was thinking on "How the Evelyn sisters's album: Evelyn, Evelyn uses vastly different / contrasting musical genres to tell a story" or something along those lines, but i'm not sure as to if it's too broad (basically the whole album is a story about two conjoined twins and the tragic events that happen in their life... its a bit weird but good). Just wondering what your opinion on this would be?

Thanks!

Penelope

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:14 pm »
Hi,
I'm doing two Vivas and two performances. For one of the vivas I am exploring the use of unconventional instruments and sound samples in two songs by Roger Waters, Perfect Sense part 1 and 2. Could you give me some advise on how to frame the topic, for example what should my main idea be? I had thought along the lines of 'How the use of unconventional instruments creates interest', but some further ideas would be appreciated as I am not sure if interest is really what it creates.
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:33 pm »
+1
Hey!
I'm doing two vivas for music 1, and already sorted my first topic (The themes of Love, Gravity and time in the Interstellar soundtrack), but for my second topic, I'm not sure what I should do, I was thinking on "How the Evelyn sisters's album: Evelyn, Evelyn uses vastly different / contrasting musical genres to tell a story" or something along those lines, but i'm not sure as to if it's too broad (basically the whole album is a story about two conjoined twins and the tragic events that happen in their life... its a bit weird but good). Just wondering what your opinion on this would be?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums Damo! ;D

I really like your idea actually!! The idea of contrasting musical genres is similar to my Viva, which was on polystylism in progressive rock music ;D

What I would suggest though is that the "tell a story" bit might be a bit hard to frame and encapsulate in a way that is easy for the examiner to follow. You could replace it with:

- Create musical interest
- Create suspense
- Generate contrast (which would require ditching the word 'contrast' in the first bit of the Thesis)

Essentially, change it so something more tried and true in terms of the effects music can have as defined in the course. The subject and essence though, I really like - Great work ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:43 pm »
+1
Hi,
I'm doing two Vivas and two performances. For one of the vivas I am exploring the use of unconventional instruments and sound samples in two songs by Roger Waters, Perfect Sense part 1 and 2. Could you give me some advise on how to frame the topic, for example what should my main idea be? I had thought along the lines of 'How the use of unconventional instruments creates interest', but some further ideas would be appreciated as I am not sure if interest is really what it creates.
Thanks!

Hi Penelope!! Welcome to the forums ;D

Love the idea you are developing here! Musical interest is a definitely a valid and correct option here. You could also explore how it creates contrast with other compositions of the same genre, perhaps? You could also hit one of the emotive response that we tend to see sometimes in Music 1 (EG - suspense) if It fits! :)

For what it is worth, musical interest was what I went with in my Viva and it framed the Viva together nicely ;D

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
Hey Jamon,
I was wondering what you did to study / prepare for the Musicology exams. In class we never do any practice tests or anything like that so I don't really know how to prepare for it!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:04 pm »
+1
Hey Jamon,
I was wondering what you did to study / prepare for the Musicology exams. In class we never do any practice tests or anything like that so I don't really know how to prepare for it!

Hey! Do you mean the aural exam, like, with excerpts?

If so, it's a bummer you don't do any practice in class! My teacher was great and had us do it weekly. I would recommend making your own practice sessions out of your favourite songs - Pick a song and analyse its use of tempo, for example. You might not be able to mark it against anything but it will give you practice recalling the conceptual ideas you need :)

Katie and I are working on a way for you to practice your aural exams - Stay tuned ;D

Masta Rice

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2018, 10:50:17 pm »
Would anyone be willing to go over my viva and critique?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2018, 10:51:10 pm »
Would anyone be willing to go over my viva and critique?

We'd love to! Give us a bit of a rundown of it ;D

pbcampion

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2018, 02:24:10 pm »
I would love to see more resources for music 1 students on Exam tips and strategies for the HSC. I know that a lot of people do it, and the Aural tests can be a bit awkward to study for. I am managing quite well, but I think students would find it particularly useful to compare their responses to sample responses from the HSC, and general tips for performance and practice schedules.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »
+1
I would love to see more resources for music 1 students on Exam tips and strategies for the HSC. I know that a lot of people do it, and the Aural tests can be a bit awkward to study for. I am managing quite well, but I think students would find it particularly useful to compare their responses to sample responses from the HSC, and general tips for performance and practice schedules.

Couldn't agree more!! On the Aural stuff, particularly - Katie and I working on something cool for the lead up to the HSC, stay tuned ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »
+2

Hey, pbchampion!

I totally agree  :'( Sad Music 2 student here desperately trying to find past papers that are not copyrighted to study for trials. I made some notes in Year 11 which might be useful for Music 1 that I have attached here if you would like to use them :) The document just has a bunch of prompting questions I wrote for myself for the concepts of music to remember in the aural section. Hope this helps! I'd also love to see more music resources pop up on ATARNOTES  :)

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2018, 03:03:09 pm »
+1
Hey, pbchampion!

I totally agree  :'( Sad Music 2 student here desperately trying to find past papers that are not copyrighted to study for trials. I made some notes in Year 11 which might be useful for Music 1 that I have attached here if you would like to use them :) The document just has a bunch of prompting questions I wrote for myself for the concepts of music to remember in the aural section. Hope this helps! I'd also love to see more music resources pop up on ATARNOTES  :)

Angelina

Amazing! Have you posted this to our Notes section Angelina? If not, you should! ;D

Nevermind, just saw your signature, amazing stuff!!!

pbcampion

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2018, 03:34:27 pm »
Hey Jamon!

I noticed in one of your posts a while back you suggested using different listens (1, 2, 3 e.g) of a music aural exam to notate different things or concepts of music. If I used this method, for example, 1st listen Duration, 2nd Listen Pitch, how would I still keep my response in chronological order? ie. I wouldn't want to wait to the 5th listen to talk about about the tone colour in the intro.
Thanks for the reply

Peter :)