Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 06:48:42 pm

Author Topic: Textual integrity??!?  (Read 18105 times)

massive

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Textual integrity??!?
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:37:15 pm »
Guys everywhere i look i get a different definition of textual integrity :/ WHAT IS IT?? Is it the fact that a theme runs throughout the entire speech (im doing speeches) or is it the fact that the issues discussed are releveant today as such the text is timeless therefore high textual integrity?

THANKS!!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Textual integrity??!?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »
Guys everywhere i look i get a different definition of textual integrity :/ WHAT IS IT?? Is it the fact that a theme runs throughout the entire speech (im doing speeches) or is it the fact that the issues discussed are releveant today as such the text is timeless therefore high textual integrity?

THANKS!!

I can't help you that much seeing as I do prose fiction but I will tell you this metaphor which helps me understand textual integrity.

Textual integrity is like knitting a jumper. Everything needs to be correctly sewn, and if there is a third arm, or no head hole, it will not work. It is like having intro, problem, climax but no resolution. So as you are going knitting your jumper, remember that you must go in the certain order the text does. Why is the text structured like it is? What is the language, forms and features used? And why it is still relevant to us today as 21st Century Australian teenagers doing the HSC?

Hopefully someone can help a bit more, but I hope you get the jist.
Let me know if you need any help, or feel free to flick me a pm :D

Quote adjusted: You quoted your whole comment :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:59:26 pm by elysepopplewell »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »

THANKS!!

Put simply: The way the text comes together as a cohesive whole. Textual content, ideas expressed, textual form, etc. It all works together to create something of high integrity! :)

Often, the textual integrity is what makes the work accessible today :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lysscass

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:46:32 pm »
I've been told that textual integrity has to do with the idea being strongly shown throughout the whole text and to show textual integrity you need to chose quotes from start, middle and end. i think it also has to do with why the text is relevant, but moreso in terms that if the speech has textual integrity, it leaves a stronger impact of an audience and therefore remains relevant? only my understanding though, and i could be wrong! always struggled with this idea

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:17:22 pm »
I've been told that textual integrity has to do with the idea being strongly shown throughout the whole text and to show textual integrity you need to chose quotes from start, middle and end. i think it also has to do with why the text is relevant, but moreso in terms that if the speech has textual integrity, it leaves a stronger impact of an audience and therefore remains relevant? only my understanding though, and i could be wrong! always struggled with this idea

You've got it! Although - I tend to think how you choose quotes to show the integrity is a bit irrelevant/unnecessary, although I can see the appeal for your general analysis by choosing from the beginning, middle and end.  Your understanding of textual integrity is swell :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!