Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 11:23:27 pm

Author Topic: Module C - People & Landscapes - Related Text  (Read 15823 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Module C - People & Landscapes - Related Text
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:59:42 am »
Hey everyone (yeah i'm a freshie),
I'm doing Mod C Representing people and landscapes with 10 canoes as my prescribed text. I'm looking for a related text which contrasts the ideas shown in 10 canoes such as the landscape as healer, provider, teacher, enduring culture through moral storytelling, transience of time and spiritual connection to land. This is so i can broaden my discussion of peoples relationship with the land, not just positive and romantic. Perhaps a text which is nonspiritual and explores the dull nature of city life and the effect of the concrete jungle on people. Anti-romantic (haha)
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Also we have a prepared essay requiring us to to show how the relationship between people and landscape reveals how the past effects the present. Any ideas?

Hey Bob! Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately I'm not familiar with 10 canoes so can't help with the first part of your post, but for the second part, let me link you this guide to Module C essays as a general resource! ;D it might help you get into the right head space for the question and what it is asking - Hopefully someone who has studied your text can offer more specific help! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:54 am »
More specifically, you need to use these tags my friend!

Code: [Select]
[img]INSERT IMAGE LINK HERE[/img]
You pop the image link between the tags. If it is on your computer, you can upload it to a site like Imgur to get a link you can use! ;D

So I'm finally getting around to this (I know 5 days later, but oh well I forgot again :P) and just found my new site for procrastination ;D
Lol good one Jamon I've got countless images to look through here ;D

But thanks for the easy upload, I'll attach it to here in a sec.

EDIT: Here it is for your enjoyment :D - OTAN Analysis (note 2 images in post)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:06:36 am by studybuddy7777 »

brontefenech

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »
Hi!
For Module C my core text is The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton... What are some related texts I can use? I'm having a bit of trouble and need some direction/ideas! Also, is it necessary to have two related texts for this module?
Thank you in advance!
:)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 11:15:32 am »
Hi!
For Module C my core text is The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton... What are some related texts I can use? I'm having a bit of trouble and need some direction/ideas! Also, is it necessary to have two related texts for this module?
Thank you in advance!
:)

Hi! It is not necessary to have two related texts for any module, so you're all good there :)

Here are some RTs that are used for People and Landscapes:
Tim Winton's Distant Lands
Humans of New York posts
Act of Union by Seamus Heaney
Digging and Personal Helicon by Seamus Heaney
The Redfern Speech
Go Back To Where You Came From

Hopefully this is a good starting point! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

LizzieCallaghan

• Fresh Poster
  • Lizzie
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 11:29:33 am »
Hi I'm doing the  book Brooklyn what are good RT  ?
Liz

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:03 pm »
Hi I'm doing the  book Brooklyn what are good RT  ?

I studied Brooklyn and I used Tim Winton's Distant Lands (Short story) as my related text :)

bennyboyyyy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Is Hughes' "Your Paris" a suitable related for this module? I know it's been a prescribed text for conflicting perspectives but are Hughes' and Plath's differing views of Paris effective representations of the landscape.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
Is Hughes' "Your Paris" a suitable related for this module? I know it's been a prescribed text for conflicting perspectives but are Hughes' and Plath's differing views of Paris effective representations of the landscape.

I'm sorry that I haven't studied this so I cannot comment on exactly how well this would suit - but I can say that just because it's a prescribed text in another module, it doesn't mean it's not ok for you to use! You definitely could use it without penalty :)

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Hey that's ok :D Glad to see someones doing the same RT!
Hmm.. There is definitely something there because I remember doing it. I think when DB was banging on about trees and clouds is similar to Keats' speech about the birds. Also there is certainly some life vs death connotations that can relate both of them.
Both Keats and DB can also immerse themselves (?) into the landscape - using it as a stress relief and unwind from the busy, urbanised, constantly changing world around them. Humans live and die, and soon enough all of humanity will die but nature is permanent and still the nightingales will sing and the trees stand.

Check your PM's this afternoon because I have an awesome analysis sheet!!
Hope I helped!!

Omg hey! I'm doing the same for a speech on Mod C (art of travel) and i picked Ode to a Nightingale too :) Was wondering if you could share your notes with me too by any chance :) This is our question..;

Alain de Botton represents rich perspectives of people’s experiences of particular landscapes and their significance for the individual through a unique and engaging form. Evaluate this representation making close reference to the Art of Travel and ONE related text.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »
Omg hey! I'm doing the same for a speech on Mod C (art of travel) and i picked Ode to a Nightingale too :) Was wondering if you could share your notes with me too by any chance :) This is our question..;

Alain de Botton represents rich perspectives of people’s experiences of particular landscapes and their significance for the individual through a unique and engaging form. Evaluate this representation making close reference to the Art of Travel and ONE related text.

Hey! Ode to a Nightingale was actually a prescribed text for Romanticism not too long ago. So there is absolutely heaaaaaps published on the web about it. If you wanted a more in depth analysis, I was suggest searching the state library and looking for critical readings on the text.
I did Art of Travel too, and I can see how the chapter 'On the Sublime', as well as the Wordsworth chapter, would work really really well with Nightingale
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University