Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:15:41 am

Author Topic: Free AOS essay Marking!  (Read 181562 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS essay Marking!
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:48 pm »
Hey! Just wondering if this AOS Marking is solely for HSC AOS Discovery...or could I get my Belonging essay marked here?  ;)

You can definitely pop up a Belonging essay! I did my HSC on Belonging so I'd be happy to check it (Elyse will be on yours soon Kle123!) :)

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2017, 10:58:14 pm »
You can definitely pop up a Belonging essay! I did my HSC on Belonging so I'd be happy to check it (Elyse will be on yours soon Kle123!) :)

Thanks Jamon! This is probably the 9th time you've replied to one of my questions today. I will definitely post up my belonging essay once I get over this writer's block ( What deceptive people like me say instead of procrastination to not hurt my sense of self )  :D
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

Thanks Jamon! This is probably the 9th time you've replied to one of my questions today. I will definitely post up my belonging essay once I get over this writer's block ( What deceptive people like me say instead of procrastination to not hurt my sense of self )  :D

Ahahaha, if only AN had streaks like Snapchat ;)

No worries! I'll be here when you are ready ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2017, 02:31:42 am »
Hey! This was the essay question that Elyse suggested. I have an AOS essay exam soon and i'm quite nervous since i haven't done any practice until now. Could you help me out? THANK YOOUUUU

Essay attached: "Discoveries have transformative ramifications"

Hey Kle123! I'm feeling really proud that you just went and wrote an essay so quickly on this question - you're a star!

I'll put my comments in bold font throughout the spoiler below :)
Spoiler
Transformative discoveries result in an individual’s meaningfully renewed perceptions of their capacity to question and appreciate their worlds. Nice one! Through introspection and self-reflection, clarity is attained, helping individuals to develop a response to the discovery, which is significant towards shaping their beliefs. Rosemary Dobson’s poems, ‘Young girl at a Window’ and ‘Wonder’ present, respectively, a girl forced into introspection due to her nearing adulthood and herself This bit jars in the sentence? It is just a bit difficult to follow. Maybe take the comma out from between present and respectively, and then flip them around, and then put a comma after the "and" before herself? Just trying to get this to read a little smoother. who gains renewed understandings through the new found beauty of art. Similarly, Alistair McLeod’s emotional coming of age short story To Everything there is a season shows young protagonist’s changed perceptions as a result of maturation. Beautiful! I love that you've given a sentence for each text so that you can give them their time to shine in the discovery light.

Through the passage of time, individuals inevitably undergo introspection and self reflection to adjust to their situation, through the questioning of their worlds. To me, this concept statement would be stronger with the "to adjust to their situation." In ‘Young girl at a Window’, the metaphysical aspects controlling her being are utilised to show the forceful nature of life in influencing change towards from adolescence to the larger world. The first line of the poem introduces the overarching motif of the poem, delineating that time is an omnipotent power as it forces her to “Lift your hand to the window latch”. The imperative elucidating this idea also portrays the passage of time to guide one’s development towards understanding of the real world. In reflecting consciously about the inevitable changes, the girl is uncertain “as she sighs, turns and moves away.” Questions of change allow for the persona to let go of her youth, “fading air is stained with red”, symbolising the death of her past and growth of her future. In this process of renewing perceptions, the persona has formulated fearful pretensions as evident in the tone of tension and anticipation in the “guiltless minute hand is still… the watchful room… be hosts to you this final night” as she lies await of the unknown future. Through this change the persona has the capacity to question her world allowing her to “travel a journey with [her] eyes”, metaphorically signifying the positive speculations which have transformed from the previous fear. Absolutely seamless integration of the question here! Beautiful! Dobson further emphasises that the young girl’s changed perspective will force her to a long hardworking road however positive in that she will be successful. Thus, due to the discoveries as a result form the inevitability of ageing individuals will undergo transformative ramification in gaining renewed perceptions about their worlds. Wonderful! In this last sentence though, you talk about ageing, which has a different connotation to coming of age. I'd use the words you already have, because suddenly I'm thinking of older people, but really you just mean growing, getting older, etc. It's a small thing, but when I read it I thought I must have misunderstood the text, "where's the old person?"

Through the discovery of hidden beauties, an individual’s values about that finding will transform Expression here could be clearer. I think the main problem is that the beauties are hidden, therefore unknown, so how can the value of that transform if it does not already exist because it is unknown...if that makes sense? Perhaps talk about individuals realising a capacity to value beauties that they did not know existed, for they were hidden? Just play with this a little more :) . Throughout the ekphrastic poem ‘Wonder’, Dobson utilises the elusive rhyme and rhythm of her poem to accentuate the transcendental realisation of the beauty of art in Van Eyck’s painting which transforms her mindset of life. Dobson portrays the wonder associated with discovery through the use of collection of soundless adjectives, “wordless”, “voiceless”, “dumb”, “without ovation” Commas go inside the quotation marks - I know it looks a bit silly when you're doing them in quick succession, but y'know, it's how it is :) describes the  experiences of discovery of beauty as transformative in that it is another world in one where one is left speechless. Similarly, to Young girl at A Window, an imperative is used, “Turn the page of the book and enter, marvelling” to convey that this discovery is also essential to the persona’s being. The use of diction in “marvelling” as well as  “dazzled and “amazement” further accentuates the profundity of such a discovery. The use of a repertoire of historical and biblical figures which have undergone a discovery of one that is ground breaking and completely transformative such as in Lazurus’ “convers[ing] with angels” and Cortes’ discovery of the new “World”, it shows that Dobson can only accurately describe the impact of such discovery through examples of others. Thus emphasising the transformative nature of her discovery as juxtaposed as similar in extent to the allusion of important figures of the real world.  Dobson’s use of the parenthetical statement, “I, also, wordless was there” amplifies the self-introspection and self-reflection in appreciating the new world of art. As a result of self-analysis, Dobson again represents discovery in having the ability to transform perceptions of different genres, in this poem through her own experience.  Beautiful! This paragraph is wonderful. Everything is linked to back to discovery so eloquently! Your text is always analysed in relation to discovery which is very needed, and very well done!

Correspondingly, Discovery’s No need to capitalise :) capacity to renew perceptions and hence transform an individual is also represented by Alistair McLeod. Through representing time also as an inevitable force driving an individual to discoveries,  To Everything there is a Season similarly shows the  maturation of  a young boy reinforcing the ideas within Dobson’s ‘Young girl’. McLeod introduces the short story through the Narrator (a grown man) “speaking of a time when [he] eleven”. Just for the purpose of being didactic - can you identify the type of Narrator? Voice of God? Third person? Omniscient? Before delving into his reminiscence he prefaces it with, “As we step into the nowness we often look into the past.” This paradoxical statement emblematic of self introspection and self reflection demonstrates the renewed perceptions the young boy (he once was) has formed due to his discoveries in the past. I'm also intrigued by the use of inclusive first person, "we," that's really unique! Surely there's a purpose to it. Is it engaging the reader to have their own discoveries alongside the character? You don't have to talk about this, but if it fits in, why not embrace it? It's a technical piece of analysis that most people won't really look into. The trope of Seasons, McLeod, symbolically represents the young boy’s growth and maturation as inevitable. The composer uses the motif of Christmas and “Santa Claus” to represent the beliefs of the innocent youth, and as the young boy “tries to hang on to him” he slowly loses this and discovers the harsher reality within the “adult side of the world”. The discovery of the myth attacks the narrator’s sense of stability and security and hence he realises he is uncertain of what is in store for him in the future.  This loss in youth is represented in the metaphor, “it is as if I have suddenly moved into another room and heard a door click lastingly behind me. I am jabbed by my own small wound” further describes the authors feeling of sadness and fear from the transition "The loss of youth is metaphorically symbolised in..." just reads a little better than identifying "the metaphor." I'm being picky here, though! . However at the end of the story, his father reminds him that, “There is no need to grieve. He leaves good things behind. The reassurance, from a figure of admiration allows the young boy to develop renewed perceptions in that the future awaits us with challenges and rewards.

Individuals will often experience the transformative ramification of discovery when they are forced or influenced into a state of introspection and self reflection allowing for changed perceptions of different worlds. As seen Dobson’s poetry and McLeod’s short  story, these transformative discoveries may sometimes result from the inevitability in the passage of time or the wonder of the world allowing for individual’s to change significantly in terms of outlook on life.

I think you've done incredible work here. You've really taken a simple question and attacked it with unique angles! I've been quite picky with it at some points, not because it's bad, but because it's actually really good and you're at the stage of adjusting these minor things now in order to inch towards the top marks. If you can produce this standard of work in an exam, you will be doing very well. The expression needs some more work at times, and this is most important in the concept statements - because this is how you are treating discovery after all. When those are crystal clear, I think you'll get a lot of reward!

In terms of preparing in another way, I suggest looking at past questions, or picking out questions from the rubric, and practice writing a thesis and three paragraph topic sentences for each question. This way, you're coherency of argument will improve, but you'll also become better at expression in a short time. If your exam is looming, I think this is the best way to move forward. Your analysis is so well linked to the question, do your best to do this again in the exam! :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:21:06 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:07 pm »
Hey Kle123! I'm feeling really proud that you just went and wrote an essay so quickly on this question - you're a star!

I'll put my comments in bold font throughout the spoiler below :)
Spoiler
Transformative discoveries result in an individual’s meaningfully renewed perceptions of their capacity to question and appreciate their worlds. Nice one! Through introspection and self-reflection, clarity is attained, helping individuals to develop a response to the discovery, which is significant towards shaping their beliefs. Rosemary Dobson’s poems, ‘Young girl at a Window’ and ‘Wonder’ present, respectively, a girl forced into introspection due to her nearing adulthood and herself This bit jars in the sentence? It is just a bit difficult to follow. Maybe take the comma out from between present and respectively, and then flip them around, and then put a comma after the "and" before herself? Just trying to get this to read a little smoother. who gains renewed understandings through the new found beauty of art. Similarly, Alistair McLeod’s emotional coming of age short story To Everything there is a season shows young protagonist’s changed perceptions as a result of maturation. Beautiful! I love that you've given a sentence for each text so that you can give them their time to shine in the discovery light.

Through the passage of time, individuals inevitably undergo introspection and self reflection to adjust to their situation, through the questioning of their worlds. To me, this concept statement would be stronger with the "to adjust to their situation." In ‘Young girl at a Window’, the metaphysical aspects controlling her being are utilised to show the forceful nature of life in influencing change towards from adolescence to the larger world. The first line of the poem introduces the overarching motif of the poem, delineating that time is an omnipotent power as it forces her to “Lift your hand to the window latch”. The imperative elucidating this idea also portrays the passage of time to guide one’s development towards understanding of the real world. In reflecting consciously about the inevitable changes, the girl is uncertain “as she sigh, turn and move away.” Questions of change allow for the persona to let go of her youth, “fading air is stained with red”, symbolising the death of her past and growth of her future. In this process of renewing perceptions, the persona has formulated fearful pretensions as evident in the tone of tension and anticipation in the “guiltless minute hand is still… the watchful room… be hosts to you this final night” as she lies await of the unknown future. Through this change the persona has the capacity to question her world allowing her to “travel a journey with [her] eyes”, metaphorically signifying the positive speculations which have transformed from the previous fear. Absolutely seamless integration of the question here! Beautiful! Dobson further emphasises that the young girl’s changed perspective will force her to a long hardworking road however positive in that she will be successful. Thus, due to the discoveries as a result form the inevitability of ageing individuals will undergo transformative ramification in gaining renewed perceptions about their worlds. Wonderful! In this last sentence though, you talk about ageing, which has a different connotation to coming of age. I'd use the words you already have, because suddenly I'm thinking of older people, but really you just mean growing, getting older, etc. It's a small thing, but when I read it I thought I must have misunderstood the text, "where's the old person?"

Through the discovery of hidden beauties, an individual’s values about that finding will transform Expression here could be clearer. I think the main problem is that the beauties are hidden, therefore unknown, so how can the value of that transform if it does not already exist because it is unknown...if that makes sense? Perhaps talk about individuals realising a capacity to value beauties that they did not know existed, for they were hidden? Just play with this a little more :) . Throughout the ekphrastic poem ‘Wonder’, Dobson utilises the elusive rhyme and rhythm of her poem to accentuate the transcendental realisation of the beauty of art in Van Eyck’s painting which transforms her mindset of life. Dobson portrays the wonder associated with discovery through the use of collection of soundless adjectives, “wordless”, “voiceless”, “dumb”, “without ovation” Commas go inside the quotation marks - I know it looks a bit silly when you're doing them in quick succession, but y'know, it's how it is :) describes the  experiences of discovery of beauty as transformative in that it is another world in one where one is left speechless. Similarly, to Young girl at A Window, an imperative is used, “Turn the page of the book and enter, marvelling” to convey that this discovery is also essential to the persona’s being. The use of diction in “marvelling” as well as  “dazzled and “amazement” further accentuates the profundity of such a discovery. The use of a repertoire of historical and biblical figures which have undergone a discovery of one that is ground breaking and completely transformative such as in Lazurus’ “convers[ing] with angels” and Cortes’ discovery of the new “World”, it shows that Dobson can only accurately describe the impact of such discovery through examples of others. Thus emphasising the transformative nature of her discovery as juxtaposed as similar in extent to the allusion of important figures of the real world.  Dobson’s use of the parenthetical statement, “I, also, wordless was there” amplifies the self-introspection and self-reflection in appreciating the new world of art. As a result of self-analysis, Dobson again represents discovery in having the ability to transform perceptions of different genres, in this poem through her own experience.  Beautiful! This paragraph is wonderful. Everything is linked to back to discovery so eloquently! Your text is always analysed in relation to discovery which is very needed, and very well done!

Correspondingly, Discovery’s No need to capitalise :) capacity to renew perceptions and hence transform an individual is also represented by Alistair McLeod. Through representing time also as an inevitable force driving an individual to discoveries,  To Everything there is a Season similarly shows the  maturation of  a young boy reinforcing the ideas within Dobson’s ‘Young girl’. McLeod introduces the short story through the Narrator (a grown man) “speaking of a time when [he] eleven”. Just for the purpose of being didactic - can you identify the type of Narrator? Voice of God? Third person? Omniscient? Before delving into his reminiscence he prefaces it with, “As we step into the nowness we often look into the past.” This paradoxical statement emblematic of self introspection and self reflection demonstrates the renewed perceptions the young boy (he once was) has formed due to his discoveries in the past. I'm also intrigued by the use of inclusive first person, "we," that's really unique! Surely there's a purpose to it. Is it engaging the reader to have their own discoveries alongside the character? You don't have to talk about this, but if it fits in, why not embrace it? It's a technical piece of analysis that most people won't really look into. The trope of Seasons, McLeod, symbolically represents the young boy’s growth and maturation as inevitable. The composer uses the motif of Christmas and “Santa Claus” to represent the beliefs of the innocent youth, and as the young boy “tries to hang on to him” he slowly loses this and discovers the harsher reality within the “adult side of the world”. The discovery of the myth attacks the narrator’s sense of stability and security and hence he realises he is uncertain of what is in store for him in the future.  This loss in youth is represented in the metaphor, “it is as if I have suddenly moved into another room and heard a door click lastingly behind me. I am jabbed by my own small wound” further describes the authors feeling of sadness and fear from the transition "The loss of youth is metaphorically symbolised in..." just reads a little better than identifying "the metaphor." I'm being picky here, though! . However at the end of the story, his father reminds him that, “There is no need to grieve. He leaves good things behind. The reassurance, from a figure of admiration allows the young boy to develop renewed perceptions in that the future awaits us with challenges and rewards.

Individuals will often experience the transformative ramification of discovery when they are forced or influenced into a state of introspection and self reflection allowing for changed perceptions of different worlds. As seen Dobson’s poetry and McLeod’s short  story, these transformative discoveries may sometimes result from the inevitability in the passage of time or the wonder of the world allowing for individual’s to change significantly in terms of outlook on life.

I think you've done incredible work here. You've really taken a simple question and attacked it with unique angles! I've been quite picky with it at some points, not because it's bad, but because it's actually really good and you're at the stage of adjusting these minor things now in order to inch towards the top marks. If you can produce this standard of work in an exam, you will be doing very well. The expression needs some more work at times, and this is most important in the concept statements - because this is how you are treating discovery after all. When those are crystal clear, I think you'll get a lot of reward!

In terms of preparing in another way, I suggest looking at past questions, or picking out questions from the rubric, and practice writing a thesis and three paragraph topic sentences for each question. This way, you're coherency of argument will improve, but you'll also become better at expression in a short time. If your exam is looming, I think this is the best way to move forward. Your analysis is so well linked to the question, do your best to do this again in the exam! :)

HEY so sorry to blow in but it seems that half of the feedback is crossed out and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not - essay is awesome by the way!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »

HEY so sorry to blow in but it seems that half of the feedback is crossed out and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not - essay is awesome by the way!

Oh that is funny! The essay/feedback had this in it somewhere:

Code: [Select]
[s]
And that is the code for strikethrough - That's what happened ;D fixed it up now!

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2017, 10:05:47 pm »
Oh that is funny! The essay/feedback had this in it somewhere:

Code: [Select]
[s]
And that is the code for strikethrough - That's what happened ;D fixed it up now!

Are you sure? Sorry if my version hasn't updated yet :P
I probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place sorry for making a big deal about it  :-[

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:59 pm »
Are you sure? Sorry if my version hasn't updated yet :P
I probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place sorry for making a big deal about it  :-[

Oh nah I'm glad you did thanks heaps! Would be annoying af for the person getting feedback ;D

Should be good now, I thought I escaped it, just decided to delete the bad bits :P

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2017, 02:17:50 am »
Sorry for the cross out! I don't quite now how I managed to do that without realising. Thanks for picking it up and adjusting :)

grace.estelle

• Trailblazer
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:33 am »
Hey! I have an exam next week and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my first paragraph? I'm trying to cut down to around 230 words but I think what is preventing me is that my links are too long.

The question is: Great discoveries force the individual to look at the world in new and challenging ways.

The process of discovery is often stimulated through challenging an individual’s preconceptions of the world which enables them to see the world from new perspectives. Such is represented in William Shakespeare’s pastoral play The Tempest through an exploration of an individual’s internal struggle to come to peace with their past, which initiates their speculation about a society guided by fair principles. Similarly, JK Rowling’s autobiographical speech reveals the power of one’s personal experiences to offer others a challenging perspective of the social imbalance inherent within modern society. Both texts reveal how the cyclical process of reflecting enables them to accept newfound truths and speculate about new worlds and values

Unfamiliar worlds and experiences call for the reassessment of one’s own perspective. A catastrophic storm opens Shakespeare's play, signifying the disruption of natural order which functions to remove individuals from the reality of the Jacobean world. The rhetorical questioning “who cares these roarers for the name of the king?” criticizes the useless power of the nobility against the chaos of ‘the tempest’, thus instigating the potential for individuals to form new beliefs about the need for social hierarchy. Prospero’s initial tone of resentment upon his exile to a foreign island is highly evident in “my false brother/Awaked an evil nature,” tempting him to use magic in order to gain control over the supernatural. Yet it is this desire for control in The Tempest, which is questioned by Ariel in the ironic dialogue “your affections would become tender…mine would sir, were I human” that prompts Prospero’s speculation and re-evaluation of the oppressive use of magic for his own ends. The potential for discovery to offer fresh perspectives is evident in Prospero’s existential reflection “thou didst smile/ Infused with a fortitude from heaven,” to metaphorically highlight how Miranda’s innocence and virtue provoked his realisation that love and human relationships are often pivotal for one’s discovery of true happiness.  As the magical illusion of the island begins to fade, Prospero projects to the collective audience, “let your indulgences set me free,” to entrust them with the power of envisioning a future based on respect and loyalty. Ultimately, the journey by ship to a foreign setting was common of the Renaissance spirit, as a way to inspire individuals to discover new ideas and speculate about humanity’s ‘rebirth’.
HSC 2017: English Advanced | Legal Studies | Ancient History | Mathematics | Maths Extension 1 | Textiles and Design

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:02 am »
Hey! I have an exam next week and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my first paragraph? I'm trying to cut down to around 230 words but I think what is preventing me is that my links are too long.

The question is: Great discoveries force the individual to look at the world in new and challenging ways.

Of course Grace! :)
Spoiler
The process of discovery is often stimulated through challenging an individual’s preconceptions of the world which enables enabling them to see the world from new perspectives. Such is represented in William Shakespeare’s pastoral play The Tempest through an exploration of an individual’s internal struggle to come to peace with their past, which initiates their speculation about a society guided by fair principles. Similarly, JK Rowling’s autobiographical speech reveals the power of one’s personal experiences to offer others a challenging perspective of the social imbalance inherent within modern society. Both texts reveal how the cyclical process of reflecting enables them to accept newfound truths and speculate about new worlds and values. Beautiful!

Unfamiliar worlds and experiences call perhaps prompt is a better word here."Call" isn't incorrect, it makes sense, but it doesn't make as much sense as "prompt" for the reassessment of one’s own perspective. A catastrophic storm opens Shakespeare's play, signifying the disruption of natural order which functions to remove individuals from the reality of the Jacobean world. The rhetorical questioning “who cares these roarers for the name of the king?” criticizes criticises*the useless power of the nobility against the chaos of ‘the tempest’, thus instigating the potential for individuals to form new beliefs about the need for social hierarchy. Great link! Prospero’s initial tone of resentment upon his exile to a foreign island is highly evident in “my false brother/Awaked an evil nature,” tempting him to use magic in order to gain control over the supernatural. You haven't identified a solid technique in this part here, so it doesn't really add much to the discussion except to identify an initial stance of a character. Yet it is this desire for control in The Tempest, which is questioned by Ariel in the ironic dialogue “your affections would become tender…mine would sir, were I human” that prompts Prospero’s speculation and re-evaluation of the oppressive use of magic for his own ends. The potential for discovery to offer fresh perspectives is evident in Prospero’s existential reflection “thou didst smile/ Infused with a fortitude from heaven,” to metaphorically highlight how Miranda’s innocence and virtue provoked his realisation that love and human relationships are often pivotal for one’s discovery of true happiness.  As the magical illusion of the island begins to fade, Prospero projects to the collective audience, “let your indulgences set me free,” to entrust them with the power of envisioning a future based on respect and loyalty. Ultimately, the journey by ship to a foreign setting was common of the Renaissance spirit, as a way to inspire individuals to discover new ideas and speculate about humanity’s ‘rebirth’.

I think you've done an excellent job here. Where there is no technique - you have the choice of adding one or cutting the sentence if you are looking to cull words still! I don't think you take too long to make the link, I think this is a tight little paragraph! :)

grace.estelle

• Trailblazer
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2017, 09:20:50 am »
Of course Grace! :)

I think you've done an excellent job here. Where there is no technique - you have the choice of adding one or cutting the sentence if you are looking to cull words still! I don't think you take too long to make the link, I think this is a tight little paragraph! :)

Thank you Elyse!  ;D There is one thing I'm concerned about though. My teacher always says im not being specific enough when I hand in drafts. However under exam situations, I don't think I get marked down for being a little vague. What do you think will happen in the hsc though say if I write "Both texts reveal how the cyclical process of reflecting enables them to accept newfound truths and speculate about new worlds and values." (because new worlds and values are taken straight from the syllabus, I feel like they will not like how I am not expanding)
Also for example if I say "form new beliefs about the need for social hierarchy," my teacher will probably say 'what new beliefs, be specific' and I just don't get it :'(
HSC 2017: English Advanced | Legal Studies | Ancient History | Mathematics | Maths Extension 1 | Textiles and Design

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:50 pm »
Thank you Elyse!  ;D There is one thing I'm concerned about though. My teacher always says im not being specific enough when I hand in drafts. However under exam situations, I don't think I get marked down for being a little vague. What do you think will happen in the hsc though say if I write "Both texts reveal how the cyclical process of reflecting enables them to accept newfound truths and speculate about new worlds and values." (because new worlds and values are taken straight from the syllabus, I feel like they will not like how I am not expanding)
Also for example if I say "form new beliefs about the need for social hierarchy," my teacher will probably say 'what new beliefs, be specific' and I just don't get it :'(
I see your dilemma..I think your teacher is pushing you in the direction of not being good, but great. You can use the words of the rubric, that's really quite fine, particularly in a conclusion where you're just summarising. But if you can be specific in your body paragraphs about the exact beliefs, you bring a better contrast between your two texts, thus improving your analysis overall. It could be as simple as identifying the theme the belief regards and then letting the quotes speak for themself.

So:
Intro: identify that new beliefs are experienced and new worlds are encountered. When introducing each text, give a unique spin on each...like one explores planned discoveries and another explores unplanned, for example.
Body paragraph text one: Says new beliefs are encountered, especially in the realms of societal expectations of courtship...(saying what the beliefs relate to), then in the evidence of the paragraph you'll specifically identify the new belief that men don't have to court women, or something to this effect...

Does this make sense? I mean, I don't know exactly what your teacher wants but I don't think you have to be super specific in the intro, I think that comes later. What do you think?

Kle123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »

Hi Elyse, i'm extremely sorry for the late reply showing my gratitude. Thank you so much for the feedback, compliments, and encouragement, it really made my day. I had it marked by my school teacher today, and i don't think she could say the same though because she practically questioned every few lines of the essay critiquing the thesis and and my links. IDK. Since the exam is this week, ill just try to write in the same manner and disregard her feedback. I've edited my essay using your feedback and its much better. Thank you again Elyse for giving me the confidence I needed.

grace.estelle

• Trailblazer
« Reply #374 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »
I see your dilemma..I think your teacher is pushing you in the direction of not being good, but great. You can use the words of the rubric, that's really quite fine, particularly in a conclusion where you're just summarising. But if you can be specific in your body paragraphs about the exact beliefs, you bring a better contrast between your two texts, thus improving your analysis overall. It could be as simple as identifying the theme the belief regards and then letting the quotes speak for themself.

So:
Intro: identify that new beliefs are experienced and new worlds are encountered. When introducing each text, give a unique spin on each...like one explores planned discoveries and another explores unplanned, for example.
Body paragraph text one: Says new beliefs are encountered, especially in the realms of societal expectations of courtship...(saying what the beliefs relate to), then in the evidence of the paragraph you'll specifically identify the new belief that men don't have to court women, or something to this effect...

Does this make sense? I mean, I don't know exactly what your teacher wants but I don't think you have to be super specific in the intro, I think that comes later. What do you think?

Yes, this makes sense thank you!!