Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:49:55 pm

Author Topic: Does university make you feel like a slave?  (Read 18493 times)  Share 

nino quincampoix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
Re: Does university make you feel like a slave?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »
Is uni really this bad? :o

I enjoyed school (probably because I never really gave into the idea of competing against everyone for an ATAR), but I enjoy uni much more. But as the OP said, there'll be times at uni when you'll just have to put in the hours at the assignment factory, particularly during assignment season. These are real things - trust me! But it's a really good experience, and you meet some really interesting people. Put simply, with the added bonus of really long holidays, it's not a bad gig.
BSci
MD

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 08:39:27 pm »
+2
I guess some people adapt differently than others. For example, this is my 4th year at uni and I can unashamedly say this is my first semester at uni where I have handed in all my assignments on time. I'm actually rather proud of the effort I've put in this semester.

But to be fair, this is probably the first semester where I've actually got my head in the game, and honestly for me, its a sign of maturity. But on the other hand, I'm unemployed atm, so I have had a lot of time on my hands to do my assignments.

tl;dr I think its about your maturity along with your time management skills. I was pretty slow on the uptake.
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 08:50:18 pm »
+3
Nope im on top of my game. If anything University is my slave.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

Seige

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: WEST SIDE!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 06:49:43 pm »
mmm not really? But I guess so.
University makes me feel like a slave...but with clothes, and my own bed, and some degree of freedom.
VCE made me feel like dobby, pre-clothes.
2012: Biology [50]  | Chemistry [50]
2013: Spesh [50 -> 55]  | English [49]  |  Physics [50] | Food & Technology [48] | Literature [48] | Art [48]
ATAR: 99.95

2014-2018: Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology)  @ RMIT

happycat

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:06 pm »
Uni has made me feel quite miserable and I feel that doing lab work which I have no intention of doing and I prefer more out in the field stuff. I've noticed that my course seems like very inconsistent e.g. two weeks ago it was about working with animals and very next week it turns into something that looks like a crash course in chemistry and physic all over again like back in first year or VCE. I sometimes feel like I might drop out and do an apprenticeship. I've naively thought that things will improve and get better but no. I'm starting to think maybe I might've made a mistake because I've probably wasted a lot of time and I haven't been getting great grades either.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:52:51 pm by happycat »

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:08 pm »
If uni makes you feel like a slave, what does school make you feel like?  :o

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
Totally agree with sloth, first year maybe, but after that you're in control.
It's really important to do other things that aren't course work related, that way you'll always stay on top of all your commitments. In first year all I had to do was study and since I knew I had time I'd leave it for later and waste time. Now I'm really busy with other stuff too but am finding the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Also I stopped going lectures and just watch them online now, much more efficient imo. Also having a strong friendship circle helps too  :D
 I think it's all about your mindset and asking yourself what you want to get out of your university life
2013: BSc at UoM

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:28 pm »
Uni has made me feel quite miserable and I feel that doing lab work which I have no intention of doing

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb

happycat

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:54 pm »
+2
Now for some good news, I feel like I'm starting to get back up on my feet. Seems things have improved a little that is.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »
+2
I'm really happy to hear that, happycat. :) I've noticed that I've started feeling more positive as well - I usually have been in regards to my studies, but weeks 7-10 of the semester have been a bit rough having a very demanding subject to contend with every single day and dealing with content that's not always the most engaging. I've found that it's really important to talk to someone about how you're feeling - not just any casual conversation, but a true heart-to-heart. A lot of the time, it makes you realise that you're not alone.

I hope this good vibe continues for you, and best of luck for your upcoming exams. ;)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

happycat

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 02:34:04 pm »
One annoying characteristic of mine, whenever I do assignments I seem to have a lazily short attention span after about an hour or so I phase out. Wow, not bad for third year.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:43 am »
+3
If you're feeling like a slave you're either probably not doing something you love enough, or you're not approaching it the right way. Try mixing up your study routine, get involved in more things inside/outside of uni, purchase Netflix, etc etc :)

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 01:12:04 pm »
+19
Just wanted to pop in and say that I no longer feel like a slave! I'm actually starting to enjoy what I've been studying, and maybe it just took me a little while to adjust. I feel like I've learnt so much already and it's great!  ;D
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb

happycat

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:09 pm »
Now I'm starting to appreciate what I do more as I'm more motivated, but this could because the course I'm doing has a structure that I like better than what it was last year.

Señor

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »
It makes me feel like crap when i procrastinate