Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:47:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3622332 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13110 on: October 17, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
+7
wait so does that mean like we don't have to know about auxins, GA, cytokinins, abcisic acid and ethylene and functions? or does that mean more specific hormones fitting under the banner of these categories?
Nothing more specific than just plant hormones.

This is the exact quote from vcaa
Spoiler
Question: Do students need to know the source, mode of transmission and effects of specific plant and animal hormones, neurotransmitters, cytokines and pheromones?
Answer: No specific molecules or physiological/other effects are required: the focus is on these molecules as initiating the process of signal transduction. Students should recognise that all of these are examples of signalling molecules and are produced in different locations and are transmitted in various ways. Students should understand that there are different types of signalling molecules (limited to plant/animal hormones, neurotransmitters, cytokines and pheromones, as specified in the study design) and that they are transmitted around the body in a variety of ways (for example, hormones are secreted by ductless glands of the endocrine system and may act locally or may be carried by the bloodstream to distant organs whilst neurotransmitters are secreted from neurons into the synaptic gap and bind to receptors on adjacent cells). Signalling molecules’ actions are mediated through the signal transduction steps of reception, transduction, and cellular response. A cellular response refers to the receptor cell changing in a particular way, for example, a change in the transcription level of particular genes, a change in the rate of protein synthesis or a change in activity of particular enzymes; this may then lead to further changes, for example, cell growth, apoptosis or cell migration. Teachers may choose their own examples, but should choose a selection that illustrates variation in source and mode of transmission. Students should be able to identify the appropriate signal transduction steps for hydrophilic and hydrophobic signalling molecules.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

makram

• Adventurer
  • Always ask why?
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #13111 on: October 17, 2020, 04:48:57 pm »
Are personal errors fair game for VCAA to ask on the final exam, or only random/systematic errors?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #13112 on: October 17, 2020, 05:19:46 pm »
+3
Are personal errors fair game for VCAA to ask on the final exam, or only random/systematic errors?
The SD only mentions random and systematic, so personal errors shouldn't come up.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13113 on: October 18, 2020, 09:52:38 am »
Besides increased dilation of blood vessels (causing greater blood flow to the infection site), what are reasons why inflammation results in redness?
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

-Lilac-

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #13114 on: October 18, 2020, 11:45:32 am »
+5
Besides increased dilation of blood vessels (causing greater blood flow to the infection site), what are reasons why inflammation results in redness?

I would say that is really the main reason why redness (and heat) occur. Swelling is due to increased permeability of blood vessels leading to fluid leakage into the tissue. Pain is due to inflammatory cells that migrate into the tissue releasing mediators that stimulate nerve endings.
Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Immunology)
Honours (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #13115 on: October 19, 2020, 07:18:19 am »
Are there amino acids for stop and start codons?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #13116 on: October 19, 2020, 08:10:05 am »
+6
Are there amino acids for stop and start codons?
There is for start (met) but there's no amino acid for stop :)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13117 on: October 19, 2020, 08:20:37 am »
There is for start (met) but there's no amino acid for stop :)

Do introns have no amino acids because they are non coding regions?
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13118 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:21 am »
+5
Do introns have no amino acids because they are non coding regions?
Yeah, they don't get translated into amino acids because they are spliced out of the mRNA before translation occurs.

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #13119 on: October 19, 2020, 05:40:51 pm »
Hello

i'm not sure about my response to this question if someone could please give feedback

thanks

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13120 on: October 19, 2020, 06:27:58 pm »
+1
Hello

i'm not sure about my response to this question if someone could please give feedback

thanks
I think you've answered the question well, everything looks good!
these are just extra suggestions but your answer is already fine I reckon
-when you say that photosynthesis 'increases until a maximum rate' you could possibly add "where the rate is limited by a different factor"
-your 2nd temp sentence could maybe have a little clarification by adding 'past the optimum tempeature, ... [sentence]' but it's still fine how you've written it.
-the bottom sentence maybe instead of 'until it becomes consistent', you could change it to 'until the rate is limited by another factor like CO2 concentration'

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13121 on: October 19, 2020, 06:28:35 pm »
+5

Hello

thanks
Hi, firstly a cause of concern is your handwriting, not to be rude but I did struggle to read your response.
CO2: you are correct it does increase to a certain point (saturation) but why?
- It is because there is a limit on the enzyme availability, thus resulting in a plateau   
Temperature: well done your explanation was correct and detailed
You discuss light intensity outside the writing space- do not do this on the exam, the examiner may not mark it. Try to fit your response within the lines provided.
Light intensity: as light intensity increases, the rate of photosynthesis increases up to a certain point (and then repeat the same explanation for CO2 but it is a different enzyme)
You would have gotten marks for temperature only
Good work, just remember to discuss why saturation occurs- refer to enzyme availability/efficiency   
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13122 on: October 20, 2020, 05:11:18 pm »
I got 79% on the 2019 vcaa bio exam. Will it be possible for me to improve to 85/90% on the real thing?

I asked my teacher on what to improve on and it’s not a specific topic like she gave everyone else she just said “small things”.....how do I get sharper to stop misreading or not answering the question or just not using common sense to answer?
My avatar sums up life.

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13123 on: October 20, 2020, 06:00:00 pm »
+6
I got 79% on the 2019 vcaa bio exam. Will it be possible for me to improve to 85/90% on the real thing?

I asked my teacher on what to improve on and it’s not a specific topic like she gave everyone else she just said “small things”.....how do I get sharper to stop misreading or not answering the question or just not using common sense to answer?
A 79% is a strong mark, don't fear
I scored 79% on my first closed book exam which was the 2017 VCCA sample and ended up scoring an A+ in the final exam, so don't be disheartened 
To improve on the small things
- Highlight keywords in the question, re-read the question twice
- Make sure for MCs you are carefully reading all the answer options b4 you choose an answer
- For short answer, make sure you write your response is a logical and coherent manner
- Since you're not struggling in a particular topic try to keep track on all of your error and figure out where you went wrong
- Continue to do practise questions, and always plan your response in your head in Section B before you write the response
You got this!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

-Lilac-

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #13124 on: October 20, 2020, 06:04:49 pm »
+8

Sure, I don't see why not. It is totally possible to improve. Is this the first exam that you have done, if not have all your averages been around the 79% mark? Personally, when I was in VCE my practice exam marks were quite varied. I definitely got a few 75s but ended up far better in the actual exam. 

As it seems you don't have any problem areas exactly it is really important to read the question fully. Now you have probably heard this 1000 times before, but it is true!! Last year I had this immunology exam, I spent a good 5+ minutes writing an answer only to then realize I was writing about the wrong type of transplant rejection lol. All because I skimmed through the question in a panic, saw the words 'describe' and 'transplant rejection' & then assumed I knew what the question was asking.

It is really easy to see a few buzzwords (especially when you have done heaps of the same types of questions) and then let your brain run away with them. So, use the reading time, take a deep breath, and read through the question before you start to plan a full answer. This way you will limit some of those silly mistakes or slight misinterpretations.

Now, of course, exams are stressful and this is easier said than done. But maybe if you have some other practice exams ready you could focus a bit more on this side of the exam technique. Also if you have time, re-read your answers! Ask yourself 'Does what I have written actually make sense?.' You might spot a few mistakes in your logic you didn't see before or that you accidentally referred to translation as transcription.

Hope this helped. Sorry if the advice was kinda vague! Good luck :)
Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Immunology)
Honours (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)