Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 10:00:33 pm

Author Topic: Legal Studies Query  (Read 5135 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Legal Studies Query
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:04 pm »
I suppose I made this new thread, since it's not related to actual work. I have asked this before, though I'll ask it again; is it worth getting a tutor for Legal Studies?

I've read other posts about this; though I'd like some reassurances. I'm aiming quite high for Legal Studies; 50 is my aim. So to past or current students, opinions?

The second part of my query is more interesting; whether I should tutor in this subject?.. I'm planning to tutor in this subject specifically after finishing VCE, to make some money on the side during uni; though I don't know whether any student would be interested as such. This links back to my first query. Legal Studies is a subject that isn't conceptually hard and it's really about ROTE-learning and understand information, for that reason I'm unsure whether tutoring in this subject would be required, for me as student now and to future students as well. In addition, I can't say I know many Legal Studies tutors which makes me skeptical about tutoring in this subject in the future. Any feedback/opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

iNerd

Re: Legal Studies Query
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:44 pm »
It's exactly the same like Psych and there are tutors around... (Slumdawg).

Your main focus would be on teaching students how to phrase answers which is critical to Legal, Psych and BM. Otherwise I doubt Legal really requires a tutor...

In regards to you getting a tutor, I think it solely lies on your English expression as content shouldn't be an issue.

(fascinated in this thread 'cause I'm considering Legal for Year 12 :P)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:16:29 pm by ATAR »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:23:29 pm »

Your main focus would be on teaching students how to phrase answers which is critical to Legal, Psych and BM. Otherwise I doubt Legal really requires a tutor...

True. I suppose the content within the course could be learnt by the student(s) themselves at home or something. That's really my question; is it worth the money?

From my perspective currently, I don't really see any value in having one and I suppose any future student would feel the same, unless he/she is really struggling in terms of the actual content, which is rare to find. Is the demand high for tutoring in these sort of subjects (i.e. ROTE-learning subjects)? Would you get one for Psychology?

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »
I think ongoing yearly tuition for Legal Studies wouldn't be necessary for the majority of students.. I would suggest maybe just running a 3-hour preparation session or something along those lines, providing an overview of the course and outlining to students, the way in which they should/need to phrase their answers. Legal Studies isn't really an application subject, hence there isn't a real need for a tutor to go through the content of the subject.. this could be done through individual work or classwork. But yeah, a preparation session would be good - most people go to the TSFX and Neap lectures only for subjects like Legal, so a prep session would be a better alternative for students who prefer the one-to-one setup and far more detailed discussion.

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:57 pm »
Even if I'd had heaps of spare money lying around, I probably wouldn't have gotten a tutor for legal studies. I don't think the course work is that demanding. Although I would probably pay someone to correct my work! At exam time my teacher refused to correct prac papers, which was extremely irritating.
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:25 pm »
I think ongoing yearly tuition for Legal Studies wouldn't be necessary for the majority of students.. I would suggest maybe just running a 3-hour preparation session or something along those lines, providing an overview of the course and outlining to students, the way in which they should/need to phrase their answers. Legal Studies isn't really an application subject, hence there isn't a real need for a tutor to go through the content of the subject.. this could be done through individual work or classwork. But yeah, a preparation session would be good - most people go to the TSFX and Neap lectures only for subjects like Legal, so a prep session would be a better alternative for students who prefer the one-to-one setup and far more detailed discussion.

i.e. What shinny is doing with English?

That's a good suggestion.

iNerd

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »

True. I suppose the content within the course could be learnt by the student(s) themselves at home or something. That's really my question; is it worth the money?

From my perspective currently, I don't really see any value in having one and I suppose any future student would feel the same, unless he/she is really struggling in terms of the actual content, which is rare to find. Is the demand high for tutoring in these sort of subjects (i.e. ROTE-learning subjects)? Would you get one for Psychology?
I am not getting one for Psychology but Slumdawg has offered an intensive 3-week exam preparation session (which he hasn't finalised hence no advertising yet). I will be attending that as I think it will be beneficial. So maybe do something similar?

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »

i.e. What shinny is doing with English?

That's a good suggestion.

Yep. Legal isn't really a subject that you'd need/want ongoing tutoring for. However, as saaam suggested, correcting practise exam papers could also be a service you could provide to students.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
All good ideas. I mean, I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but I thought I'd get some discussion going. Since this thread is interesting (to me at least!), what would YOU consider an acceptable price for one-off, 3-hour Legal Studies session with a student who just finished VCE, granted I get the score that I want; 50?

I suppose the first part of my query has been answered. Thanks.

iNerd

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
All good ideas. I mean, I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but I thought I'd get some discussion going. Since this thread is interesting (to me at least!), what would YOU consider an acceptable price for one-off, 3-hour Legal Studies session with a student who just finished VCE, granted I get the score that I want; 50?

I suppose the first part of my query has been answered. Thanks.
~150 dollars with 3 practice exams with fully worked solutions included.
~100 with no practice exams.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:56:49 pm by ATAR »

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
I think maybe monthly tuition would be beneficial for a subject like legal studies. Tutoring the content would be a complete waste of time as it's not really that hard to learn. I would think a tutor would be helpful in aiding you in establishing the links within the course to enhance your answers. A tutor would also be good to help you in formulating answers the way the assessors want them.

Even if I'd had heaps of spare money lying around, I probably wouldn't have gotten a tutor for legal studies. I don't think the course work is that demanding. Although I would probably pay someone to correct my work! At exam time my teacher refused to correct prac papers, which was extremely irritating.
This would also be another benefit of having a legal tutor.

So you probably dont need a tutor weekly but maybe fortnightly or monthly

VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »
Andy will you be offering tuition? ;)

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:32:22 pm »
Andy will you be offering tuition? ;)
Hopefully, I just gotta organise some stuff and then I should probably write an advert.
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:57 pm »
I had a legal tutor for one three hour session about three weeks before the exam. She didn't realy tell me anything I didn't already know and it was just to fix up my method of answering questions. I think they're unnessicary for Legal studies but, as saaaam said, it would be very helpfull to have someone to mark practice exams for you.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »
Paying someone to correct prac exams would be useful for all subjects, really. Then I wouldn't have felt so guilty when I handed my teachers piles of them.
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.