Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 03:51:46 pm

Author Topic: The PIP Thread  (Read 56119 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: The PIP Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:48 pm »
+1
UPDATE!

Hey to all! Hope everyone is going well with their PIPs :)
Here's a new guide for everyone to read > Central material structure

At this point, you should be working on your central material. Quit perfecting your introduction right now and work on it later on. Prioritise your central material! It's the one with the most word count, so I would recommend getting this done FIRST!

Good luck everyone!
There goes beatroot with another great pip guide  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2018, 07:12:45 pm »
Hey guys,
Just wanting to ask: where do you find your academic experts? I've emailed a number of academics and they can't really help me -_- The only expert I've interviewed is a marriage celebrant but she can only discuss ideas on intermarriage, not racial identification.

Thanks in advance!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2018, 07:23:53 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
Just wanting to ask: where do you find your academic experts? I've emailed a number of academics and they can't really help me -_- The only expert I've interviewed is a marriage celebrant but she can only discuss ideas on intermarriage, not racial identification.

Thanks in advance!
For me, it's about connections. My mum is a student at university currently, and she talked to lecturers in my field for the pip and they referred me to academics from there. Also, another way may be to find an article you like, find the author and find a way to contact them. You'll have to do a bit of searching. I found the LinkedIn profile of one academic and that's how I got in contact with them. Or if they're a university researcher/lecturer, find what university they go to and search for their contact in the database. Most university websites I've found have a database of all their staff and lecturers and their relevant contact details.

Hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 09:45:28 pm »
Hey guys,
How do you usually present the results from your primary methods? For example, my content analysis, at the moment, is just notes in my logbook so how should I present the qualitative and quantitative data I collected? Also, is it compulsory to interview an academic? I've emailed a bunch of experts and they haven't gotten back to me. At the moment, I've done 5 primary methods and I've already written two chapters so I'm not sure if an academic would enhance my research in any way.

Thanks in advance :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:17 pm »
Hey guys,
How do you usually present the results from your primary methods? For example, my content analysis, at the moment, is just notes in my logbook so how should I present the qualitative and quantitative data I collected? Also, is it compulsory to interview an academic? I've emailed a bunch of experts and they haven't gotten back to me. At the moment, I've done 5 primary methods and I've already written two chapters so I'm not sure if an academic would enhance my research in any way.

Thanks in advance :)
I guess it would enhance your research to interview an academic who is an expert on your topic. But i wouldnt say its COMPULSORY
in terms of intergeating primary research is to use it to back up and explain your points. You cannot make a statement without being able to back it up. At least thats how i do it.
Hope this helps!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 09:53:46 pm »
I guess it would enhance your research to interview an academic who is an expert on your topic. But i wouldnt say its COMPULSORY
in terms of intergeating primary research is to use it to back up and explain your points. You cannot make a statement without being able to back it up. At least thats how i do it.
Hope this helps!
Hey there,
When I say present primary results, I don't mean the analysis of it. I'm talking about when you flip to the appendix of a PIP and the results you get from your primary research. Whenever I flip to the appendix of a PIP, I see either a lot of tables or just every single response from their questionnaire. So how would you present these results? Is it better to tabulate your qualitative/quantitative results or does it not matter?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 09:58:04 pm »
+2
Hey there,
When I say present primary results, I don't mean the analysis of it. I'm talking about when you flip to the appendix of a PIP and the results you get from your primary research. Whenever I flip to the appendix of a PIP, I see either a lot of tables or just every single response from their questionnaire. So how would you present these results? Is it better to tabulate your qualitative/quantitative results or does it not matter?
Ahhhhh well personally I'd tabulate all of it so its all there and that you're not missing anything and its a good reference imo

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 10:27:41 pm »
+2
Hey there,

Coming from personal experience, as long as you put down all your results from your primary research into groups (ie; what you got for your questionnaire, interview etc.) it should be fine. However, putting the quantitative/qualitative results down in a table is a matter of personal preference. It will definitely look a lot neater if you put it in a table. I didn't do this for my PIP because I wanted to be flexible with my appendix in terms of my structure and whatnot. But it's all up to you :)
For questionnaires, you don't have to include EVERY response that you get as this will take up so much space. Take screenshots of the overview for each question and place them in your appendix.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2018, 10:15:12 pm »
+2
PLEASE READ!

Since the Easter Weekend is slowly approaching, I just want to know where is everyone at. How's your primary research going? How many chapters have you submitted? Did you remember to do your resource annotations? Give me a general idea on where you're at.

If you need a guide written on a specific area of the PIP, please reply to this thread :)

I hope everyone is going well with their PIPs. You're so so so close to the end!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2018, 10:21:49 pm »
+1
PLEASE READ!

Since the Easter Weekend is slowly approaching, I just want to know where is everyone at. How's your primary research going? How many chapters have you submitted? Did you remember to do your resource annotations? Give me a general idea on where you're at.

If you need a guide written on a specific area of the PIP, please reply to this thread :)

I hope everyone is going well with their PIPs. You're so so so close to the end!
Have been keeping on top of my annotations.
But in terms of primary research and chapters im pretty far behind  :-[  :-[

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2018, 10:24:34 pm »
+1
Oh gosh don't remind me!

Anyways, I'd like to think I'm on track. Submitted two chapters and an intro. I've annotated 20 sources so I'm leaving 5-10 sources as a way to fill in any gaps if I need to do emergency research or something when writing my chapter. Done 5 primary methods and their annotations, I just need to present my findings in a way that's presentable to put in the appendix. I'll have to put my PIP on hold because I have a SAC speech during half yearlies next week (and it happens to be on our PIP!)

Hoping to start chapter three over the holidays so I can spend Term 2 polishing, editing and finding visuals.

Where exactly should we be up to at this stage?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 10:48:45 pm »
+2

Hey! How much of primary research have you done and how much of your chapters have you written? Honestly once half yearlies are done, you have all the time in the world to work on your PIP so don't worry too much :) Would seriously recommend just doing parts of your PIP each day instead of doing everything all in one go as this can overwhelm you. But also taking little steps will motivate you :)

Good luck with the rest of your PIP Adam! Don't feel disheartened if you feel you're behind. We all have different paces. You just need to find that spark to get you going and your PIP journey should ride smoothly from that point on :)

Anyways, I'd like to think I'm on track. Submitted two chapters and an intro. I've annotated 20 sources so I'm leaving 5-10 sources as a way to fill in any gaps if I need to do emergency research or something when writing my chapter. Done 5 primary methods and their annotations, I just need to present my findings in a way that's presentable to put in the appendix. I'll have to put my PIP on hold because I have a SAC speech during half yearlies next week (and it happens to be on our PIP!)

Hoping to start chapter three over the holidays so I can spend Term 2 polishing, editing and finding visuals.

Where exactly should we be up to at this stage?

Hey Olivia!

Good job on getting so much done this early in the year! That is I N S A N E! For your findings, you don't have to work on your appendix this early (I did this last because I prioritised all the central material, intro, log and conclusion. But since you're super speedy, you can technically work on your appendix. The way I laid out my appendix was:
- Appendix A: Questionnaire (I had around ~70 responses so I didn't include all my responses. I only included the overview)
- Appendix B: Interview #1
- Appendix C: Interview #2
- Appendix D: Focus group
I ordered my primary research the order I did them in throughout the year. Other people did theirs in alphabetical order. But like I mentioned previously in the thread, it's all up to personal preference. The markers aren't really tooo harsh when it comes to the appendix because they care more about the central material. The appendix is just there to prove that you actually did primary research.

I wrote a guide on where you exactly should be right here. You can always check it every now and then to see if you're on track. But from what I can see, you're well ahead of time ;D

Good luck with the rest of your PIP Olivia :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2018, 04:16:22 pm »
+2
Hey Adam!
Not sure if this is gonna be helpful, but maybe have a set timeline to help break down the tasks. My teacher gives us a timeline each term and I use that as a guide to set up my own timeline.

I attached a photo of my own timeline.
This really helped me know where I should be and my own timeline is just so I can push myself and finish that task (although it became a bit unhealthy at one point because I forced myself to stay up until 12am to finish my 10 annotated sources.)

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Hoda Mitwari

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »
Hey, i have decided to change my topic. i am thinking of researching the pressure that teenagers face today. this is what i have so far..

Being a teenager is, perhaps, one of the most interesting, intense, and complicated periods in the life of almost any person. In our teen years, our experiences are especially acute and exiting; this age is connected with one’s search of place in the world, of self-identification, and belonging. Teenagers face real world problems more and more often, as well as encounter their first serious challenges and problems: at home, at school, in their relationships.
The terror of failing and facing a bleak future of no income and no pride results in sleepless nights and serious spells of anxiety. When, at the end of the day, it isn’t really the end of the world if you don’t get the results you wanted.
Social pressures are more powerful, competition is much greater, technology is skyrocketing and everything said or done can be made public in the span of 5 seconds. Violence and danger are also more prevalent, and it seems as if numbers define a child more so than their actual abilities. Young adults, teenagers, even children, are being faced with greater struggles than any of our parents ever went through.-

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2018, 04:50:15 pm »
+2
Hey, i have decided to change my topic. i am thinking of researching the pressure that teenagers face today. this is what i have so far..

Being a teenager is, perhaps, one of the most interesting, intense, and complicated periods in the life of almost any person. In our teen years, our experiences are especially acute and exiting; this age is connected with one’s search of place in the world, of self-identification, and belonging. Teenagers face real world problems more and more often, as well as encounter their first serious challenges and problems: at home, at school, in their relationships.
The terror of failing and facing a bleak future of no income and no pride results in sleepless nights and serious spells of anxiety. When, at the end of the day, it isn’t really the end of the world if you don’t get the results you wanted.
Social pressures are more powerful, competition is much greater, technology is skyrocketing and everything said or done can be made public in the span of 5 seconds. Violence and danger are also more prevalent, and it seems as if numbers define a child more so than their actual abilities. Young adults, teenagers, even children, are being faced with greater struggles than any of our parents ever went through.-
Hey! Welcome to the forums!
So i like the idea of your topic. Although "the pressure that teenagers face today" sounds REALLY broad and encompasses alot of different elements. I think in order for this to be a successful topic, you need to work on refining it down to something manageable. What you have so far does sound intriguing but from here you really need to work on what your hypothesis will be and what focus questions/chapters your topic wilol focus around. It does sound rather interesting to explore this, it needs to be cut down to size in order for you to finish it on time. Your next step will be working out your hypothesis, focus questions etc as well as your methodologies. When you have worked out that stuff, post it here and we can give you some feedback.
Good luck!  ;D