Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:12:40 pm

Author Topic: AFL Finals  (Read 24023 times)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: AFL Finals
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:11 pm »
Brenden didn't get my Joel Selwood joke on facebook, finals are ruined
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:52 pm »
I don't know about either players past other than the medical history in that article, but it all seems pretty legit and fair to me. I'm pretty happy for the guy, missing out on playing in your finals really sucks (even if this means the Bloods will have to push a little harder, but we'll still come out ;) )

Brenden didn't get my Joel Selwood joke on facebook, finals are ruined

I mean, what's the point in even having finals if your friends don't get your jokes?! :P

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »
News for any Crows supporters out there:

Your coach has just been sacked.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-17/sanderson
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 06:54:03 pm »
I think anyone with an issue on the ruling has probably never played a contact sport in their life. Not even saying this as a North supporter, it just wasn't a suspendable (or even a reportable) offence.

Definitely gained a bit of respect for Joel Selwood! Not one of my favourite players but he sure as hell is tonight, lol!

He should have been suspended according to the AFL's new fangled policy on head high contact. You can say what you want about whether it 'should' be an offense in a contact sport, but literally everything he did (off the ball, head high, jump into the opponent) is something they're apparently stamping out.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »
Definitely gained a bit of respect for Joel Selwood! Not one of my favourite players but he sure as hell is tonight, lol!
He's always been a legend!
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2014, 11:31:53 pm »
He should have been suspended according to the AFL's new fangled policy on head high contact. You can say what you want about whether it 'should' be an offense in a contact sport, but literally everything he did (off the ball, head high, jump into the opponent) is something they're apparently stamping out.
It wasn't a head high bump, it was a fair bump and their heads touched. I don't even think it's suspendable under the new rule which specify 'forceful contact' for rough conduct.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 12:12:21 am »
It was off the ball, negligent and avoidable. He made head high conduct after jumping off the ground and was thus deserving (IMO) of the 1 week suspension handed down to him under the current interpretation of the rules.

With this being said, I don't entirely mind that his challenge was successful and think that the penalties for similar incidents need to be looked at. Fines rather than suspensions might be a more suitable deterrent for these incidents.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:16:09 am by Phy124 »
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 12:17:22 am »
I think the MRP overall needs a major overhaul. Some of the charges that get laid are ridiculous.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2014, 11:26:17 am »
It was off the ball, negligent and avoidable. He made head high conduct after jumping off the ground and was thus deserving (IMO) of the 1 week suspension handed down to him under the current interpretation of the rules.

With this being said, I don't entirely mind that his challenge was successful and think that the penalties for similar incidents need to be looked at. Fines rather than suspensions might be a more suitable deterrent for these incidents.
It was off the ball but part of the play. You could do that in netball and cop a slap on the wrist. In no way was the play illegitimate. Sure it was avoidable if he wanted to let Selwood get the ball again and tear things up as per usual. Breaking someone's wrist in a tackle is avoidable if you choose not to tackle them. It just wasn't forceful in the sense of reportable offences (even factoring in the head contact/rules). I've literally been hit harder in U14s.

Edit: "I've literally been hit harder in U14s"-- probably explains some things.

Just wanted to note: I'm definitely for protecting heads more than they have been in the past, I'm in no way complaining that the game has "gone soft" like some do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:36:33 am by Ned Nerb »

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
I still think the MRP is being more lenient come finals. Completely agree with Phy124, anyway, doesn't matter now, Selwood is and always a legend. 
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »
I still think the MRP is being more lenient come finals. Completely agree with Phy124, anyway, doesn't matter now, Selwood is and always a legend.
Yeah it's pretty hard to see how Tom Hawkins doesn't even get points for his jumper punch. Freo player's spoil looked really sketchy to me, too.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2014, 04:59:36 pm »
Even though I support collingwood,

I'm going for port. I hate the hawks and Sydney, wouldn't mind a north melbourne v port adelaide final.

Hawks v sydney would be absolutely epic though, franklin v his old club in a grand final!!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 12:27:35 am »
It was off the ball but part of the play. You could do that in netball and cop a slap on the wrist. In no way was the play illegitimate. Sure it was avoidable if he wanted to let Selwood get the ball again and tear things up as per usual. Breaking someone's wrist in a tackle is avoidable if you choose not to tackle them. It just wasn't forceful in the sense of reportable offences (even factoring in the head contact/rules). I've literally been hit harder in U14s.

Edit: "I've literally been hit harder in U14s"-- probably explains some things.

Just wanted to note: I'm definitely for protecting heads more than they have been in the past, I'm in no way complaining that the game has "gone soft" like some do.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have blocked his path, but rather if someone is stupid enough to jump off the ground and negligently make contact with someones head then they should reap the consequences of their actions. The lack of forceful contact was the reason why I said I didn't entirely mind that his challenge was successful, but I really think it could've gone either way.

As someone who is frequently taken out in off ball incidents, I am well aware that this is part of the game and do not mind it. However, I think that when contact is made to the head it is a different story, irregardless of what body part made contact with the head of the other person. (mentioned this because I've seen many people argue that the charge shouldn't have been laid because it was an accidental head clash)

Yeah I think it's definitely the case and has been for a long time. The backlash from fans come finals time is much worse than during the home and away season and I'd be extremely surprised if this didn't weigh on sanctioning decisions.

I think the MRP needs to review and more clearly outline the penalties players will face for these incidents regarding on ball/off ball, deliberate/incidental, low force/high force etc. because as it is they are probably too strict.

tl;dr:
-If you jump off the ground and make head high contact - cop it
-MRP get your shit together

Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
I'm not saying he shouldn't have blocked his path, but rather if someone is stupid enough to jump off the ground and negligently make contact with someones head then they should reap the consequences of their actions. The lack of forceful contact was the reason why I said I didn't entirely mind that his challenge was successful, but I really think it could've gone either way.

As someone who is frequently taken out in off ball incidents, I am well aware that this is part of the game and do not mind it. However, I think that when contact is made to the head it is a different story, irregardless of what body part made contact with the head of the other person. (mentioned this because I've seen many people argue that the charge shouldn't have been laid because it was an accidental head clash)
Yeah I think it's definitely the case and has been for a long time. The backlash from fans come finals time is much worse than during the home and away season and I'd be extremely surprised if this didn't weigh on sanctioning decisions.

I think the MRP needs to review and more clearly outline the penalties players will face for these incidents regarding on ball/off ball, deliberate/incidental, low force/high force etc. because as it is they are probably too strict.

tl;dr:
-If you jump off the ground and make head high contact - cop it
-MRP get your shit together
Yeah fair enough. Probably shouldn't have jumped off the ground but I sort of feel that has more to do with his size than carelessness. A tick against though, for sure. And yeah I totally agree, a head clash is still getting hit in the head. Eg, Nat Fyfe, even though it probably didn't "deserve" a suspension, that was a massive head clash.

Even without the supports going nuts, the MRP themselves probably can't help but be more lenient come finals time (inappropriately of course). I just can't see the Freo guy's spoil getting let off during the home and away season. The only issue I've got with the MRP is the consistency. (Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, compare Nat Fyfe??) - whatever the rule is, I don't care, so long as everyone can look at an incident and reasonably expect to know what the MRP are going to do about it.

Edit: Can't even focus because of the footy later.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:38:33 am by Ned Nerb »

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • Respect: 0
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:34 am »
North Melbourne will beat Sydney they said. Gonna be a close game they said.  :-\

:D