Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:32:27 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131469 times)  Share 

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2017, 09:16:25 pm »
+1
Hi Susie! I read somewhere before that you primarily prepared for History Extension essays by doing past papers; would you recommend doing this under timed conditions or writing essay plans to different questions? Thanks :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2017, 10:58:56 am »
+4
Hi Susie! I read somewhere before that you primarily prepared for History Extension essays by doing past papers; would you recommend doing this under timed conditions or writing essay plans to different questions? Thanks :)
Hey! For history extension, I wrote most of my practice essays open book/not under timed conditions. This meant that I'd be able to do a bit of research before and during answering the question, thus increasing my arsenal of arguments I could take into the exam :) However I definitely believe it would be worthwhile doing some under exam conditions as well, just so you can get used to feel of the exam - how long you have to write, how good you are at recalling arguments on the spot, etc. etc. I think essay plans are a great idea as well - I also recommend practicing analysing sources, as integrating the source is such a key component to a history extension essay.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »
+1
how do you write a final judgement without it sounding repetitive from the analysis in the midst of the essay.  I feel like my project is just sooo rambly even though its pretty concise but my own judgement is absolutely necessary and i dont know how to make it flow :/

What would the purpose of Plutarch's and Aristotle's writing be?
sounds like a silly question but I don't want to simply assume it was to inform, and I can't find anything that properly answers this :/

Mod Edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:29:08 pm by sudodds »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:03 pm »
+3
how do you write a final judgement without it sounding repetitive from the analysis in the midst of the essay.  I feel like my project is just sooo rambly even though its pretty concise but my own judgement is absolutely necessary and i dont know how to make it flow :/

What would the purpose of Plutarch's and Aristotle's writing be?
sounds like a silly question but I don't want to simply assume it was to inform, and I can't find anything that properly answers this :/
hey! It's kinda difficult to say without looking at your essay, however the way that I typically did this would be to use words like "thus" and "therefore". So (analysis), thus it is further evident that (judgement). Or "(judgement) is reinforced by (analysis)". Does that answer your question?

In regards to your second question, unfortunately I didn't study Plutarch or Aristotle that closely - however I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly from Ancient) Aristotle was Athenian, so if you're looking at his writings on Sparta, there will definitely be an ulterior motive behind his writings, as the two groups hated each other, and the Athenians were consistently emphasising their superiority through their works. Hopefully someone else will be able to verify this + provide a more detailed response :)

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »
+2
That sounds like a logical break point to me! :)

Gotcha :D

Thanks Susie!!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
+3
In regards to your second question, unfortunately I didn't study Plutarch or Aristotle that closely - however I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly from Ancient) Aristotle was Athenian, so if you're looking at his writings on Sparta, there will definitely be an ulterior motive behind his writings, as the two groups hated each other, and the Athenians were consistently emphasising their superiority through their works. Hopefully someone else will be able to verify this + provide a more detailed response :)
Yep, Aristotle was from pro Athenian. He was intrigued by the political arrangements of Sparta and treated the Spartan system with a mixture of deep respect and severe criticism. He analysed the reasons for the decline of Sparta and exaggerated the features of Spartan life he believed were responsible (e.g the role of women).
Also, Plutarch was Greek and he was a priest of Apollo. He was very pro Sparta and carried the Spartan mirage.
Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:56:56 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2017, 06:38:17 pm »
+2
Yep, Aristotle was from pro Athenian. He was intrigued by the political arrangements of Sparta and treated the Spartan system with a mixture of deep respect and severe criticism. He analysed the reasons for the decline of Sparta and exaggerated the features of Spartan life he believed were responsible (e.g the role of women).
Also, Plutarch was Greek and he was a priest of Apollo. He was very pro Sparta and carried the Spartan mirage.
Hope this helps! :)

Thanks so much!
I'm looking at Draco and Solon in Ancient Greek law so just as a minor point trying to figure out the purpose of their work since it was obviously skewed due to various reasons.

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:28 pm »
hey! It's kinda difficult to say without looking at your essay, however the way that I typically did this would be to use words like "thus" and "therefore". So (analysis), thus it is further evident that (judgement). Or "(judgement) is reinforced by (analysis)". Does that answer your question?

Susie

And thank you that does answer my questions :)
I've sort of already been doing that so I think refining and clearing messy areas will help.
I just wasn't sure i was on the right track so thanks heaps!

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »
+1
Hello

Just wondering how many units history extension is worth?
Turns out my school does enforce at least one business subject...which sucks...but going to push for otherwise, just need to know if history extension is one or two units?
Thanks

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2017, 04:38:21 pm »
Hello

Just wondering how many units history extension is worth?
Turns out my school does enforce at least one business subject...which sucks...but going to push for otherwise, just need to know if history extension is one or two units?
Thanks
that. is. so. weird. Compulsory business? How strange.

History extension is worth one unit :)

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2017, 04:43:26 pm »
+2
that. is. so. weird. Compulsory business? How strange.

History extension is worth one unit :)

yes i say! so stupid!! ??? ???
ok was hoping it was two....will work something out for year 12! ;)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2017, 02:26:53 pm »
Hey, I was too late to submit my history extension essay for marking (since it will be locked during the trial period  :( )
Would it be possible to just upload some parts of my essay for checking/advice, Its due this monday and unfortunately i was bogged down with my design and technology major work all this week so I didn't get time to submit my essay for marking on ATAR notes.
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2017, 02:29:31 pm »
+2
Hey, I was too late to submit my history extension essay for marking (since it will be locked during the trial period  :( )
Would it be possible to just upload some parts of my essay for checking/advice, Its due this monday and unfortunately i was bogged down with my design and technology major work all this week so I didn't get time to submit my essay for marking on ATAR notes.
Sure thing Maraos! Just submit them here. However I won't be able to get it today due to the Q&A this afternoon - I should have time tomorrow though :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:32:42 pm by sudodds »

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2017, 02:37:06 pm »
Sure thing Maraos! Just submit them here. However I won't be able to get it today due to the Q&A this afternoon - I should have time tomorrow though :)
Thanks so much Susie :D , and no worries get back to me whenever you can :D 
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »
+1
Hey Susie,
sorry this took so long I just wanted to make sure it was pretty much done before i sent it.
I understand that the marking has been closed  :( unfortunately i was too late, attached is my entire essay if you could just read it and let me know if it sounds semi-good that would be great.
Also in regards to our last conversation about my ext history topic, I had to change my question (once again) because my teacher thought that tackling 'the historiographical implications of popular history' was too big. my new question is essentially the same thing but a little more specific.
Also my teacher essentially forced everyone to write in a chronological fashion (which I know you said i should steer away). So I had to write my essay in that form.
Hopefully the essay isn't too bad because it is due tomorrow   :-\ :-\
any advice/feedback would be great  :D

Thanks!  ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension