Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:24 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131481 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »
+3
Hey Susie,
sorry this took so long I just wanted to make sure it was pretty much done before i sent it.
I understand that the marking has been closed  :( unfortunately i was too late, attached is my entire essay if you could just read it and let me know if it sounds semi-good that would be great.
Also in regards to our last conversation about my ext history topic, I had to change my question (once again) because my teacher thought that tackling 'the historiographical implications of popular history' was too big. my new question is essentially the same thing but a little more specific.
Also my teacher essentially forced everyone to write in a chronological fashion (which I know you said i should steer away). So I had to write my essay in that form.
Hopefully the essay isn't too bad because it is due tomorrow   :-\ :-\
any advice/feedback would be great  :D

Thanks!  ;D
No worries Maraos! You've been such a positive contributor to the history threads for so long, that I am more than happy to make an exception and mark your response. I've attached my feedback - with the knowledge that it is due tomorrow, i haven't made any major suggestions (not that I really had any to make anyway)! Overall I think this is a really good essay Maraos! I definitely think that it was a good think that we changed your question - this is just so much more historiographical. In terms of the chronological structure, though I wouldn't recommend it, as your teacher is enforcing it, and they are marking it, then it definitely won't impact you negatively.

Awesome work!! And congratulations - you're finally done!!!!!!!!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
+2
No worries Maraos! You've been such a positive contributor to the history threads for so long, that I am more than happy to make an exception and mark your response. I've attached my feedback - with the knowledge that it is due tomorrow, i haven't made any major suggestions (not that I really had any to make anyway)! Overall I think this is a really good essay Maraos! I definitely think that it was a good think that we changed your question - this is just so much more historiographical. In terms of the chronological structure, though I wouldn't recommend it, as your teacher is enforcing it, and they are marking it, then it definitely won't impact you negatively.

Awesome work!! And congratulations - you're finally done!!!!!!!!

Thankyou soo much Susie ;D
I was feeling really concerned since I didn't show my teachers enough drafts these last 2 weeks, but your positive words have definitely made me feel better haha :D
Can't wait to remove the weight of my shoulders and submit it.

Thanks so much for your help, I literally wouldn't have survived the major work without ATAR notes and your guidance :D 
I'll be sure to let you know my mark :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2017, 09:09:14 pm »
+4
Thankyou soo much Susie ;D
I was feeling really concerned since I didn't show my teachers enough drafts these last 2 weeks, but your positive words have definitely made me feel better haha :D
Can't wait to remove the weight of my shoulders and submit it.

Thanks so much for your help, I literally wouldn't have survived the major work without ATAR notes and your guidance :D 
I'll be sure to let you know my mark :D
Aww absolutely no worries!! But really, this was all you. I may have helped a bit, but YOU wrote this essay - you are the reason it is great, and you should be hella proud :) Definitely check back to let us know the mark! Super keen :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2017, 10:35:52 am »
Hello again :D
Just a quick question,
I've only got about 39 footnotes for my major work and some of my other classmates have over 50.
Do you think I need more? Like would more be considered a stronger response?

thanks!
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2017, 11:14:21 am »
+3
Hello again :D
Just a quick question,
I've only got about 39 footnotes for my major work and some of my other classmates have over 50.
Do you think I need more? Like would more be considered a stronger response?

thanks!
Nah don't worry too much about that. It varies quite a bit. I had over 80 footnotes, the girl who came first in the HTA essay prize had about 40 :)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »
+1
Nah don't worry too much about that. It varies quite a bit. I had over 80 footnotes, the girl who came first in the HTA essay prize had about 40 :)
Awesome, thanks for the help!
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
Hello again (sorry i keep spamming this thread haha  ;D )

Just a very quick question/check. My process log for the major work is due in like a few hours (gotta submit it online) i was just wondering if this layout/information for the process log is good? No need to read all of it, I just wanna quickly get it checked before i submit it.

Thanks!
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:13 pm »
+2
Hello again (sorry i keep spamming this thread haha  ;D )

Just a very quick question/check. My process log for the major work is due in like a few hours (gotta submit it online) i was just wondering if this layout/information for the process log is good? No need to read all of it, I just wanna quickly get it checked before i submit it.

Thanks!
ahaha, no worries! Everything looks fine to me :) I also included copies of the various articles I used, and drafts of my work, but that is not essential as far as I am aware - just something to add if you can/feel like it :)

GorgGorgenson56

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2017, 05:47:51 pm »
Hey, I'm a year 12 student doing Ancient and Extension History. My marks for Extension is around 42/50. I'm freaking about a bit for trials because I've been told that I need to remember heaps of historians quotes for both question 1 and question 2. I got 41/50 in the half yearly without really quoting any historians directly. Is it vital that I learn specific quotes from historians? and if so, what historians would you recommend for the "What is history" question? (Thucydides is my expertise when it comes to historians).

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2017, 06:35:12 pm »
+6
Hey, I'm a year 12 student doing Ancient and Extension History. My marks for Extension is around 42/50. I'm freaking about a bit for trials because I've been told that I need to remember heaps of historians quotes for both question 1 and question 2. I got 41/50 in the half yearly without really quoting any historians directly. Is it vital that I learn specific quotes from historians? and if so, what historians would you recommend for the "What is history" question? (Thucydides is my expertise when it comes to historians).
Hey,
Welcome to Atar notes!! :)
I'm only a year 12 student myself and haven't done my trials yet either but I don't think you would need too many quotes to do well. My teacher said it would be good to know a few, but being able to know the historians broadly and critically argue your views is a lot more important. I think that if you were going to know some quotes I would try to learn some form E.H Carr and maybe a few from the post modern historians as well.
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
+5
Welcome to ATAR notes and probably the best thread on the entire forum ;D ;D haha
I also haven't done my trials however my advice would be that you do learn specific quotes from historians. This just proves to the markers that you know what you are talking about and that you actually have learnt your work and studied.
In terms of what historians to include I would reccomended the following;
E.H Carr (for discussions on relativism and how historians ultimately have an agenda when they write etc.)
Hobsbawm (use him when discussing Marxist history, he was also a communist so you can see his own agenda come into play in his writing)

Leopold Von Ranke (literally the God of history :D. He was the 'originator of the heroic study of records'. Essentially he founded the modern form of history writing that we see today. Defs include this legend)

Geoffrey Elton (Carr's arch nemesis. This guy was in a debate with Elton about whether history can be objective or not. If you are discussing Carr definitely mention their debate)

Other historians who you might want to include;
- Richard Evans (social historian, Archivist)
- Henry Reynolds (political activist, relativist)
-Keith Windschuttle (Reynolds enemy :D, Empiricist)
-Edward Gibbon
-Natalie Zemon Davis (film historian, pretty interesting stuff on her).

I hope this information helps, come back and ask any other questions you have. Susie and anyone else on this thread will be happy to help ;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:08:55 pm by Maraos »
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

mitchello

• Trailblazer
  • This sentence is false.
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:59 pm »
+4
Ayo,
I've only started preparing for extension quite recently. If quotes aren't a strong area, I'd select some of the historians beautifully recommended above and just use one or two quotes that summarise their stance - such as Von Ranke: reshaping the past "as it essentially happened", or Keith Jenkins: "Relativism... is a fact of life". Then of course you have free reign over the historians and issues discussed in your major work - which you're probably quite familiar, and able to incorporate into the essay.
Goodluck with the upcoming trials, hope this helped  :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:15:21 pm by mitchello »
Advanced English//Mathematics//Economics//Legal Studies//Ancient History//History Extension

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:41 pm »
+4
You guys are all so amazing. Literally so amazing. Three incredible answers to one question - all 2k17 students, helping out another student deal with one of the hardest subjects the HSC offers. I literally have nothing to add, each of your answers covered everything that I think is important to include. I'm just sitting here gobsmacked - THREE answers to one history extension question. THREE. Like that doesn't happen in Modern or Ancient history, let alone history EXTENSION, the cohort that has less that 2000 students. You guys are legit the best. Love the little (but powerful  8)) community that is developing here <3

sl1402

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2017, 09:54:12 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I'm on panic mode for Extension. Can anyone give me a general outline of the rise of new sources throughout history?

Thanks heaps.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2017, 10:12:26 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

I'm on panic mode for Extension. Can anyone give me a general outline of the rise of new sources throughout history?

Thanks heaps.
Hey, I'll try to give you a quick overview of how history has been constructed over time. :):
Herotodus:mainly oral sources and prose, no set method.
Bede-Chrisitan history, geological, named sources.
Gibbon-footnotes, used irony.
Macaulay-Direct speech, slavery & bibliographies, optimistic history, wrote in literary style.
Von Ranke-Used Venetian ambassadors, trace God's will through history.
Marx-Economic history, communist based, philosophy.
Annales-multi-disiplined (the use of maps, science, geology, etc. to tell things about the past), non linear, total history.
Carr-scientific, fishmongers analogy, history is interpretation.
Public history-museums, film, television, commemorations, radio.
Foucault-changing concepts over time, archeological method.
Schama-omits footnotes, imagined dialogue.
White-history is fiction,narrative,tropes,figurative language.
Hopefully this helps!
If you have any questions definitely feel free to ask! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]