Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 02:02:57 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131903 times)  Share 

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2017, 11:46:04 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

So I'm surfing around Book Depository and I was wondering if you guys could recommend some historiography-related books that could be useful for History Extension? The books I've currently bookmarked are:
E.H Carr- What is History
John Vincent- An Intelligent Person's Guide to History (currently unavailable on Book Depository but under my radar)
Richard J. Evans- In Defence of History

I would highly recommend John Warren's 'History and the Historians', it has information on a lot of different historians and goes through chronologically the different periods in history from ancient historiography to post-modernism, really useful source helped me alot this year. :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2017, 09:15:19 pm »
Hi! I've managed to write essay plans for many of the recent HSC papers and now I'm struggling to find other questions to try and prepare responses for. Would anyone have suggestions about potential questions/concepts that we should prepare to be asked about in an exam? I've done to death all of these questions about the role of evidence, imaginative history, objectivity etc. from the past 10 or so years. What else might there be? Hope this makes sense! :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:12 pm »
Hey,

Section II was my weakest as in trials I got 21/25. I've done heaps of past papers but just struggling with the sources in some of the papers and how to use them effectively. Considering the source is only one sentence long I'm struggling to portray a strong thesis with topic sentences throughout my response.

Just wondering if I could get some advice about the most effective way to answer those Section II questions

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »
+3
Hi! I've managed to write essay plans for many of the recent HSC papers and now I'm struggling to find other questions to try and prepare responses for. Would anyone have suggestions about potential questions/concepts that we should prepare to be asked about in an exam? I've done to death all of these questions about the role of evidence, imaginative history, objectivity etc. from the past 10 or so years. What else might there be? Hope this makes sense! :)
Hey,
Some that I can think of (might cross over with yours though) are:
- Academic v. popular history
-The democratisation of history: Who can write history?
- Digital revolution... a valid form of history?
- Is history fiction?
- Who owns history?
- Role of popular culture
- Social history (pros and cons)
This is what I can think of at the moment but there are probably more.
Sorry this took so long. Hope this helps! Good luck for your exams! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2017, 09:45:47 am »
+1
Hey,

Section II was my weakest as in trials I got 21/25. I've done heaps of past papers but just struggling with the sources in some of the papers and how to use them effectively. Considering the source is only one sentence long I'm struggling to portray a strong thesis with topic sentences throughout my response.

Just wondering if I could get some advice about the most effective way to answer those Section II questions

Hey! Try checking this out:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/history-20160523-gp1wky.html

It may not be much but there's some useful info there
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

2018: B/Eng (Mechatronic (Space)) (Hons) & B/Sci (Physics) (Dalyell) at Usyd

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2017, 02:52:51 pm »
Considering the exam is in the afternoon tmr, what is the best way to prepare in the morning? What should I do? I feel like doing responses will only tire my arm
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2017, 03:40:04 pm »
+2
Hey,

Hey,
This is something that most of my class didn't do too well for trials. One of the ways we were practising to improve is through doing mini essay plans and skills work on past questions.
We would:
- Read the quote and rewrite it in our own words.
- Choose an area of debate for our case study.
- Do each of the three schools reflect this view (of the source)? Yes/No? How?

So, this meant that we were engaging with the question and that our essay would be constantly referring to the question. For my essays I do short plans beforehand and refer back to it to make sure I'm always answering the question. For your thesis, just make sure you are directly linking to the question/quote.

Hope this helps! Good luck for tomorrow!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »
+1
Considering the exam is in the afternoon tmr, what is the best way to prepare in the morning? What should I do? I feel like doing responses will only tire my arm
Hey,
This is something I was wondering myself, tbh.
I don’t think I would do any full papers or essays because I don’t want my hand to be sore, and I don’t think that doing it that late would be a productive use of my time (and it would probably stress me out). I think I might just end up looking over my flashcards (on the historians for part 1 and my case study) and I might do some small essay plans and get the main ideas from some sources. Or you could hop on the Debate thread! and argue some of your ideas (One of my favourite threads-I found this really helpful during trials and writing practise essays :D).
Ultimately, it's up to you, and whatever you think will help you the most for the exam.
Good luck for tomorrow!  :D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2017, 07:03:28 pm »
+3
HEY GUYS!!!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!!!! Sorry I haven't been as active on here over the last few days - consequences of the modern and ancient exam being beforehand :( But if there are any last minute questions, i'll be available tonight till late!!

I'm super proud of the little community here - the progress you have all made is astounding, and I'm sure you will absolutely smash it tomorrow!!!

good luck,

Susie <3
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:54:52 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2017, 07:53:04 pm »
+1
Hey,
This is something I was wondering myself, tbh.
I don’t think I would do any full papers or essays because I don’t want my hand to be sore, and I don’t think that doing it that late would be a productive use of my time (and it would probably stress me out). I think I might just end up looking over my flashcards (on the historians for part 1 and my case study) and I might do some small essay plans and get the main ideas from some sources. Or you could hop on the Debate thread! and argue some of your ideas (One of my favourite threads-I found this really helpful during trials and writing practise essays :D).
Ultimately, it's up to you, and whatever you think will help you the most for the exam.
Good luck for tomorrow!  :D

Thank you! Yeah that seems like a great idea, I might do that. And good luck to you too!!!

HEY GUYS!!!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!!!! Sorry I haven't been as active on here over the last few days - consequences of the modern and ancient exam being beforehand :( But if there are any last minute questions, i'll be available tonight till late!!

I'm sure proud of the little community here - the progress you have all made is astounding, and I'm sure you will absolutely smash it tomorrow!!!

good luck,

Susie <3

Thanks Susie!
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

cakelover

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:02 pm »
Hihi,
Just wondering, do you think this year's History Extension question 2 will ask you to talk about 2 areas of historical debate? - Because I'm not sure if I'll be able to write 2 :( Hopefully they will only ask for 1

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2017, 08:35:19 pm »
+2
Hihi,
Just wondering, do you think this year's History Extension question 2 will ask you to talk about 2 areas of historical debate? - Because I'm not sure if I'll be able to write 2 :( Hopefully they will only ask for 1
It very much so is a possibility! However, if that is the case, just focus on one and maybe just mention another in as much detail as you can. It's not ideal, but if it does say two, you do really have to make sure that you have two discussed. The exam is in the afternoon tomorrow, so if you have time, I recommend having a glance over one of the other debates and grabbing a few quotes for it!

Good luck tomorrow!!

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

cakelover

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:33 pm »
+1
It very much so is a possibility! However, if that is the case, just focus on one and maybe just mention another in as much detail as you can. It's not ideal, but if it does say two, you do really have to make sure that you have two discussed. The exam is in the afternoon tomorrow, so if you have time, I recommend having a glance over one of the other debates and grabbing a few quotes for it!

Good luck tomorrow!!

Susie

Okkiee hahaha. Thank you Susie!! I'll look over another debate then. :) Will try my best!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Any predictions on what the 'what is history' question will be on? Or is it practically impossible to predict a history extension question?
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:33 pm »
+2
Any predictions on what the 'what is history' question will be on? Or is it practically impossible to predict a history extension question?
Impossible aha, cos that would require me knowing the sources as well since they're so intrinsically related! Sorry :( !