Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:14:06 am

Author Topic: I am so confused  (Read 1108 times)  Share 

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
I am so confused
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
How much do I really need to know about Photosynthesis and Aerobic Cellular Respiration? On the study design it says that details on the biochemical pathway are not required however my textbook (and 2 company notes) contain information about the technicalities of the stages. Someone please shed some light on this.

Thank you
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: I am so confused
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »
+6
All you need to know is the inputs, outputs, and location of each stage. In the previous study design you needed to know more & textbooks will always include too much info. Would be a good idea to check with your teacher about what you need to know for your sac though as schools aren't always good at following the study design.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »
+7
How much do I really need to know about Photosynthesis and Aerobic Cellular Respiration? On the study design it says that details on the biochemical pathway are not required however my textbook (and 2 company notes) contain information about the technicalities of the stages. Someone please shed some light on this.

Thank you
The main points you will need to know are the inputs ans outputs of each of the stages of these processes. Where each process occurs and things that will impact the rate of these processes (including limiting factors). Also you should know the stages of both processes.

However, it is unlikely you will need to go into the details of the actual biochemistry and each biochemical reaction. But it wouldn't hurt to get an overall idea of what is happening and why it happens.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:48:24 pm by Sine »

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 02:48:14 pm »
+2
The main points you will need to know are the inputs ans outputs of each of the stages of these processes. Where each process occurs and things that will impact the rate of these processes (including limiting factors). Also you should know the stages of both processes.

However, it is unlikely you will need to go into the details of the actual biochemistry and each biochemical reaction. But it wouldn't hurt to get an overall idea of what is happening and why it happens.

Thank you for the reply

Just had one question regarding the inputs and outputs of the stages. Do I only have  to know what types of molecules are in the inputs and outputs or do I also need to know about the quantity? For example, for the light-independent stage of photosynthesis, do I have to know that the inputs are 18 ATP and 12 NADPH or just ATP and NADPH?
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 02:56:19 pm »
+5
Thank you for the reply

Just had one question regarding the inputs and outputs of the stages. Do I only have  to know what types of molecules are in the inputs and outputs or do I also need to know about the quantity? For example, for the light-independent stage of photosynthesis, do I have to know that the inputs are 18 ATP and 12 NADPH or just ATP and NADPH?
Knowing the type of molecules is probably the most important aspect of the inputs/outputs. The actual number is of less importance, but from experience, VCAA can test you on it especially in terms of cellular respiration. They can probably ask the numbers for photosynthesis but from memory, it doesn't happen often. To be safe learning both is your best bet and I think it will help with the understanding of the process as well.